Irish Flat Season 2011

• Thread starter Thread starter Gearoid
  • Start date Start date
Very interesting race. Oxx looks strong. Interesting to see if Knock stars has trained on.She should on breeding. Martin made great use of her last year . Katla may well get the 7f but I'd say that's her limit. Like Cocozza in the colts race. The last maiden usually has one or two in it for the Irish Derby. Very informative card every year.

Leopardstown Guineas trial

4/6 Dunboyne Express
10/3 Cocozza
9/2 Exodus
9/1 Whipless

Could be a trappy race.

Spoke to someone last night about Cocozza. Connections think this one is an absolute monster, and will be gutted if it doesnt win today. Combined with what Gearoid was saying about Dunboyne, I will be having a really decent bet on Cocozza.

He would have collected. No doubt.

The big winners were the 11/8 Dunboyne Express backers who got 5/6 for him after the rule 4 beating too slow boats.

Last edited:
First and second in the 1000 Guineas trial for A.P.O'Brien.

Is the winner, Empowering, to be aimed at the Newmarket Guineas?

Her sire Encosta De Lago's progeny seem to be better over sprint distances but she is out of a Nashwan mare.

Very annoying Del Boy-thought the winner made hard work of it.

If he was half as good as they think then he would have won that, gutting. Sickening. 5/6 to beat them two about Dunboyne was a steal in the end, he was 8/13 to beat them and the Oxx horse in a place this am...

Anybody see the maiden -Apache travelled well and he might be one to lay in running.The Ox never got competetive-not sure if he is useless or if there is a plan.He was my only bet of the day-each way at 9/2-I think he started at 1.38 in place
market.

Luke - I meant to mention it in the Today's Fancy thread when I was tipping Massabini. Alyir is useless. That was the word I had before it ran in it's first maiden.

Luke - I meant to mention it in the Today's Fancy thread when I was tipping Massabini. Alyir is useless. That was the word I had before it ran in it's first maiden.

Murtagh was very low in the saddle a long way out.I don't like horses that can't get competetive.
Ballydoyle and the Ox stable give me the impression they have something to prove this year.

See young Joseph O'Brien struggled to do 9st 1lb in the guineas trial today - still won carrying the pound over but this doesn't look great for his future on the flat this year.

Young Joseph also had to stand down from the ride on Apache in the last because he couldn't do the weight.

My guess is he won't be riding much longer; if he exhausts his claim that is about as far as it will go. His time as an apprentice rider has been fantastic experience for him with a future career as a trainer in mind.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see if he remains his fathers apprentice or if they get him his own yard -David o Brien style.

He was 1lb over and could not claim his 5lb and despite History Note being very unlucky in running it was a massive run. Group 1 winner this season in my opinion.

Heard the APOB interview with Gary o Brien-would not give him a straight answer to any questions about Joseph.

Just one maiden in Dundalk this friday and not that many entries compared to other years, sign of the times ,boooo......

From the Racing Post site:

St Nicholas Abbey holds Curragh Sunday entry

BY TONY O'HEHIR 12:50PM 29 MAR 2011

ST NICHOLAS ABBEY is among 15 entries for the Listed Geegeez.co.uk Alleged Stakes over 1m2f at the Curragh on Sunday.

The Aidan O'Brien-trained four-year-old, who was unbeaten at twowhen he landed the Group 1 Racing Post Trophy at Doncaster, has not run since finishing sixth when favourite for the 2,000 Guineas at Newmarket last year.
O'Brien also has Windsor Palace entered for Sunday's race.

Unaccompanied, who finished second in the JCB Triumph Hurdle at the Cheltenham Festival also features among the entries.

The Moyglare Stud-owned filly isone of three Dermot Weld-trained possibles, along with Cashelgar and Galileo's Choice.

The ground at the Curragh on Tuesday morning was described as yielding in the straight and good to yielding on the round course.

Back