Jockey News

Can't help but feel Jacob has been shafted here, and although he probably wanted to tell Nicholls where to stick his number two job, couldn't really cut his nose off to spite his face as riding opportunities and riding out will earn him some income. Wonder what Scholfield thinks as it's obvious he would have been out if Jacob had accepted the number two job. The staff there think the world of Jacob too which could lead to one or two interesting situations.

But he's not all that good and his temperament is not that of a jockey you would want in a very big yard.

Jacob has been a lucky jockey for me-pumpkinhead is hard to please it's only two years since DJ stole the National on Neptune Colonges.
ST-D comes across as a nice guy-personally I think he would be better off stayin with his father and cherry picking rides from pumpkinhead -the job could be a poison chalice.

no issue with nicholls making the big decision. it's his operation and a lot is at stake.

however i'm not overly sold on STD being as good as some make him out to be. not yet anyway. i'd have kept him onside if i was nicholls giving him the odd ride with a look to the future but i think noel fehily has been overlooked. very underrated jock. i'd have given him the job, for now at least.

Oh c'mon. How could he offer this job to a jock approaching his 40th birthday who is more than happy where he is. I personally think STD is way over-rated. Have a horrible feeling this will end in tears. After that inspired ride on Mon Parrain I thought Nick would have got it, but he's probably best placed to continue where he is, with plenty of rides for Scott and Bailey on top.

STD over-rated in my opinion but he's still young enough. I think Jacob will struggle a bit freelance.

Wonder who will ride NTDs horses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jacob has been a lucky jockey for me-pumpkinhead is hard to please it's only two years since DJ stole the National on Neptune Colonges.
ST-D comes across as a nice guy-personally I think he would be better off stayin with his father and cherry picking rides from pumpkinhead -the job could be a poison chalice.

If it all goes wrong at least he can go back to his dad?

Last edited:
It seems the appointment by PN was prompted by word that some of the top owners at the Henderson yard were urging NH to get STD on board there.

Does Nicholls have any exciting young horses? Can't think of many

Well I was looking forward to seeing On Blueberry Hill this season. Won an Irish Bumper before moving to Nicholls. Looked a stayer in the making. Obviously something has gone amiss. But maybe we'll see him next season.

I suspect Jacob was done by his lack of enthusiasm for riding Big Buck's and by wearing his heart too much on his sleeve . The fact that Silviniaco Conti was also handed over to Fehily early on also did not augur well .

I suspect Jacob was done by his lack of enthusiasm for riding Big Buck's and by wearing his heart too much on his sleeve . The fact that Silviniaco Conti was also handed over to Fehily early on also did not augur well .

Hmm, I'm yet to be entirely convinced that it was 100% down to DJ that the Big Buck's ride went to STD.

Noticed Barry Geraghty had one ride today at Kelso (for John Ferguson) and now we know why, trainer and Denis O'Regan have parted company.

Noticed Barry Geraghty had one ride today at Kelso (for John Ferguson) and now we know why, trainer and Denis O'Regan have parted company.

Is it me or is that a lot of parting of company with the trainers that Denis O'Regan has done now? Do we know the reson behind it?

Last edited:

He was proved 100% right as far as Big Buck's is concerned.

The sooner people accept that wearing your heart on your sleeve isn't a sign of weakness the stronger we'll all be.

You can't place any fault at Jacob's door over any of this other than that he isn't as good as the other top jockeys. As good as any of the others, probably, but has his limitations (as do they).

Surprised there are no comments on the ride Jamie Spencer gave Angel Gabriel in the Chester Cup for which he received a four-day ban.

Out the back, nothing new for Spencer, made dramatic headway around the outside of the field 3 out looked as if he had pinched the race into the straight, swerved badly right inside final furlong and lost out to stable companion.

Hardly the most effective use of the horses energy!

Surprised there are no comments on the ride Jamie Spencer gave Angel Gabriel in the Chester Cup for which he received a four-day ban.

Out the back, nothing new for Spencer, made dramatic headway around the outside of the field 3 out looked as if he had pinched the race into the straight, swerved badly right inside final furlong and lost out to stable companion.

Hardly the most effective use of the horses energy!

As for his ride on Wigmore Hall :confused:

Back