Jockey News

Could have been far worse from what I saw [assuming that all will be well with time]. The stall handlers were amazing; all credit to them.

Really bad news on Moore. I'm sure he'll come back but these back injuries tend to stay with you.

With him out of the way I'd have thought Mr Callan would be rushing back to pick up a few more rides than he managed last year. Not in the same class as Moore but a more than competent jockey.

Amelie Foulon becomes the first woman ever to win a group race on the flat in France today. Hard to believe has not happened before. Congratulations to all connections.

Ryan Moore could be out for the rest of the season.
Interesting to see how Coolmore/Stoute play this.
Pat Smullen to become bigger and bigger news is my guess.
He showed yet again last weekend that he is in the top five or six European flat jockeys riding at present.

Smullen is really at the top of his game at the moment-not hard to see similarities with Kinane and Murtagh .Dont see him teaming up with Ballydoyle due to family politics-Joseph will want first pick with RM out injured.

Aidan Coleman has accepted a retainer to be the main jockey for the John Ferguson yard , still hoping to ride plenty for Venetia Williams.

Henderson told The Times: "I know there has been a lot of talk, and the bookies have had their fun, but I've had no thought, at any stage, of bringing in someone new."I've spoken to all the owners and they know the plan.
"Whoever was available would not be as good as what we have here already. In the past, these boys were such a help to Barry, doing a lot of the essential work at home.
"They are seriously good jockeys, all three of them rode Festival winners last season and I have 100 per cent confidence in them.
"Nico has huge talent and he's now won a Gold Cup (on Coneygree), David is one of the bravest I've known and you couldn't find a more solid professional than Andrew, who has been here a long time. I've spoken to all three of them and they know they can expect plenty of opportunities.
"Barry will still be around at weekends and will obviously ride the horses we have for J P but it will not necessarily be the case that he gets on our top horses when available. Our belief is that certain riders get on well with certain horses.
"There's no such thing as a first jockey here now."

Nice to see Nicky standing by his boys.
Equally nice to see Aidan Coleman get the Ferguson retainer though it puts Denis O Regan out in the cold again somewhat.
Given his undoubted talent it is surprising he does not have a top job somewhere or does it just not suit him ?

He's had a couple of rides for Tony Martin recently which seems like a match made in heaven. Good enough for the Galway Hurdle.

Last edited:
What kind of screwed up country has a Grand National in the middle of summer? Convicts.

Just seen this race on RUK
I think the commentator needs to learn to build to a crescendo
He was shouting down the mic for so long during the race he sounded like Mike Reid by the last furlong.

Back