Jockey News

I went to Black Forest Lodge yesterday and watched her ride. Do I think she's ready for Cheltenham? No. She looks fine when she's out in front and there is nothing around to hassle her, but she gave up pretty quickly as soon as the other horses started to go past her and looked very tired (ground was pretty testing). Her actual balance still looks novicey and I feel that if a horse just pecked, she'd struggle to stay on board. I have no doubts that she would be able to gallop round and jump the fences but I am not sure why anyone should be allowed to with quite so little experience. She has had precisely 4 point to point rides so far, only one of which has finished and that was a long way 4th.

I'm told they will run her in a rules race so she has the "qualification" for Cheltenham... other wise they have to have about 14 PTP races I think. The press fawning over her give me the right boke.

She's the type that could easily collide with a running rail in the Foxhunters and destroy her chance of winning. Disgrace.

Well I think it's fab - I'm going to whack my January money on it and pray to the gravity gods to sort her out just before ( not really badly, just enough!)

I went to Black Forest Lodge yesterday and watched her ride. Do I think she's ready for Cheltenham? No. She looks fine when she's out in front and there is nothing around to hassle her, but she gave up pretty quickly as soon as the other horses started to go past her and looked very tired (ground was pretty testing). Her actual balance still looks novicey and I feel that if a horse just pecked, she'd struggle to stay on board. I have no doubts that she would be able to gallop round and jump the fences but I am not sure why anyone should be allowed to with quite so little experience. She has had precisely 4 point to point rides so far, only one of which has finished and that was a long way 4th.

The only chance anyone has on a horse like PDP over 3m2f is holding it up out the back and creeping into the race - she won't be able to do that as she can't hold him, horse was a 25's chance with a top/very decent jockey up, he's 25's to get round now and more like 50/1 to win.

Definitely going to have the Alex Dunn's about her on this - probably get tanked along with as AD did on Picaroon with the horse making mistakes and weakening 7 or 8 out before pulling up (if it hasn't already unseated/fallen).

Can definitely win a short Hunter Chase though or a P2P on a sub-3m track next month.

Martin

Sir AP is the new IJF president.

Whatever one's feelings around his greatness as a jockey he is unarguably a sheer legend and incredible ambassador for the sport.

I bet they are chuffed to bits.

Anyone been watching a young girl called Lulu Stanford ride? I used to work with her father Eugene (jeez even remember when she was born!) Anyway she graduated from pony racing and seems to be doing pretty well - that's 10 winners so far and she's getting outside rides already.

The once very promising Darren Egan banned for 12 years for"ensuring 2 horses didn't run on there merits".

Tom Scudamore rode his 1000 th winner yesterday, the first time the son of a 1000 + winner member to do so over jumps I imagine.
Credit to the man who may not be everyone's favourite but is always pleasant and always has something positive to say.

There clearly appears to be a shortage of top flat jockeys when Holland is rescued from obscurity by Charlie Hills and Ralph Beckett goes for the questionable talents of Fran Berry .

Nothing questionable about Fran's talents Ardross.
His Shergar Cup record stands up as does the fact that John Oxx thought enough of him to make him first jockey in 2010.
"Weak as p@@s " has been said of him but he is a fine guy and a fine horseman who rarely loses one he should have won.
(Bar Espartano Fairyhouse June 2008 when he held him too far off the pace!)
He rode a filly for Eddie Harty at The Curragh one day, Eddie stood one side of the tarmac path and told Fran, "if the far side of the path is the finish line, do not hit the front until you get this close to it ". He followed instructions and won !
A gent to boot who always gives the time of day; wishing Fran all the very best.

Nothing questionable about Fran's talents Ardross.
His Shergar Cup record stands up as does the fact that John Oxx thought enough of him to make him first jockey in 2010.
"Weak as p@@s " has been said of him but he is a fine guy and a fine horseman who rarely loses one he should have won.
(Bar Espartano Fairyhouse June 2008 when he held him too far off the pace!)
He rode a filly for Eddie Harty at The Curragh one day, Eddie stood one side of the tarmac path and told Fran, "if the far side of the path is the finish line, do not hit the front until you get this close to it ". He followed instructions and won !

A gent to boot who always gives the time of day; wishing Fran all the very best.

Oxx dropped him like a hot brick though .

Last edited:
Back