Jockey News

Made me go cold. Every riders worst nightmare at the best of times, but even more so in a race saddle. So lucky Bryan Cooper's horse came down as well and thank god he was ok enough to catch up the other.

Two names for Irish Stamp to keep his eyes on
1 Mr John J O Connor
Rode his first p2p winner last week and had a double at Boulta yesterday.
A neighbour's child from Lismire locally he is a decent hardworking lad who deserves to get on.

Mr Chris o Donovan
His da sold Doctor Phoenix to David Dennis last year, the horse has won four races since and is into low 140s over fences.
Chris is riding out for Ml Winters and Adrian Maguire while dad is driving horse lorries for George Mullins.

Both lads are nineteen so all the very best to them in the future.

Following in the footsteps of Jim Crowley and Graham Lee, Dougie Costello has switched codes. He'll be riding as stable jockey to Karl Burke.

Timmy Murphy given 14-day ban at Kempton for not taking all reasonable & permissible measures to obtain the best possible placing

Quite right too. Love that quote that he's said friends and family are to call him Sir Anthony, but everyone else can call him Ap or whatever they like ;)ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451515205.016257.jpg

Attachments

• Sceptre.jpg
    Sceptre.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
It's a huge achievement, he deserves every ovation that's going to come his way this season.

Tom Weston has retired from riding at the age of 29. He had a bad fall at the Cheltenham Festival in March (punctured both lungs) but was back riding within a month.

He now has a license to train under Rules so is going to focus on that with his Dad training the point-to-pointers.

Martin

Dickie Johnson rides his 3000th career win today.
Cheers to him; championship here we come.

I've never had much luck with Jonners over the years, but much like his recently-retired contemporary, there is no doubt that he has been an absolute credit to his profession. His Championship will be richly deserved.

Last edited:
You've got to wonder how much longer it'll be before Carbs calls time. What is he now, early fourties? And he's had a succession of injuries in the last couple of years.

The other thing I've wondered is whether he'll take over from Noel Meade at some point. How many Grade 1 winning hurdlers has Meade had since Go Native, and prior to that he had a succession of them. I know Willie is king of the castle these days but even so. Meade is not the force he was, and I can see the logic of Meade concentrating on breeding and buying and Carberry taking over the training operation at some point.

Reports that the Betfair cyclist is going to get the ride on Pacha Du Polder in the Foxhunters. Must be lovely news for the other PTP jocks.

I went to Black Forest Lodge yesterday and watched her ride. Do I think she's ready for Cheltenham? No. She looks fine when she's out in front and there is nothing around to hassle her, but she gave up pretty quickly as soon as the other horses started to go past her and looked very tired (ground was pretty testing). Her actual balance still looks novicey and I feel that if a horse just pecked, she'd struggle to stay on board. I have no doubts that she would be able to gallop round and jump the fences but I am not sure why anyone should be allowed to with quite so little experience. She has had precisely 4 point to point rides so far, only one of which has finished and that was a long way 4th.

Back