Jockey News

Poor fella, it sounds like he has a hard road ahead.

Indeed. There must be a question mark over whether he'll be able to come back but he's a determined lad and he'll be desperate to do so.

The support the IJF provide long-term is an absolute credit to the sport.

George Baker returned to London last night and is in The Wellington Hospital, is in intensive care unit for now but will be moving to the rehabilitation unit when appropiate.

Found this on Thoroughbred Daily News:

Six-time champion jockey Kieren Fallon, who retired from thesaddle last July citing mental health issues, told
Dubai RacingChannel he is considering a training career.
Fallon is working in Dubai for the winter and will soon returnto Newmarket to work for William Haggas. He started 2016 asthe stable jockey for Michael O=Callaghan in Ireland.
"I thought about it and I was going to actually stay in Americaand start training, but when Michael [O=Callaghan] rang me andasked me to come back I just thought it might work, but itwasn't [to be],@ Fallon told Dubai Racing Channel. "I will soon, Ithink, start [training]. I know I'm going back to work for WilliamHaggas in the mornings, I've got a few options and a few otherthings I have to do as well. It's going to be exciting, but I wouldlike to start training, or even if I didn't train myself, I'd love tojoin somebody and work with a good trainer.@
Fallon said his options with regards to location are open.
"It wouldn't really make a difference. I'd prefer to work inEngland as my kids are there,@ he said. AMy oldest son is startinghis apprenticeship so I'd like to help him as well."

Found this on Thoroughbred Daily News:

Six-time champion jockey Kieren Fallon, who retired from thesaddle last July citing mental health issues, told
Dubai RacingChannel he is considering a training career.
Fallon is working in Dubai for the winter and will soon returnto Newmarket to work for William Haggas. He started 2016 asthe stable jockey for Michael O=Callaghan in Ireland.
"I thought about it and I was going to actually stay in Americaand start training, but when Michael [O=Callaghan] rang me andasked me to come back I just thought it might work, but itwasn't [to be],@ Fallon told Dubai Racing Channel. "I will soon, Ithink, start [training]. I know I'm going back to work for WilliamHaggas in the mornings, I've got a few options and a few otherthings I have to do as well. It's going to be exciting, but I wouldlike to start training, or even if I didn't train myself, I'd love tojoin somebody and work with a good trainer.@
Fallon said his options with regards to location are open.
"It wouldn't really make a difference. I'd prefer to work inEngland as my kids are there,@ he said. AMy oldest son is startinghis apprenticeship so I'd like to help him as well."

Considering his very public admission of having mental health problems absolutely the last thing he should be doing is becoming a racehorse trainer - it is an unbelievably stressful job!

Jake Hodson, David Bridgwater's conditional, has retired from race riding owing to weight issues. Will still ride out at the yard and is starting his own gardening service business as well.

IJF reports that “Former jockey Allan Mackay suffered a fall on the Newmarket gallops on Saturday morning and was airlifted to Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge. He is in intensive care and currently under sedation. The extent of his injuries is not yet known and there is unlikely to be a further update until later this week.”

Injured Jockeys Fund update on George Baker...... George Baker remains in The Wellington Hospital, London, and is currently in the rehabilitation wing where he will stay for the next few weeks. His wife Nicola says: “George has made really good progress in the last week and the doctors are proposing that in two to three weeks’ time he will move to another rehabilitation centre nearer to home.”

Local boy Dave Noonan rode out his claim yesterday at Sedgefield and rode another today for good measure.
Wishing him continued success at level terms with the rest.
Another local Killian Leonard broke his ankle a few weeks ago so has to rest for a while; wishing him all the best.

Statement issued by the Injured Jockeys Fund on behalf of the family of James McNeile
It is with much regret that we announce today, 3rd April 2017, the death of James McNeile, 57, from Devizes, Wiltshire following a fall at Larkhill Point-to-Point Course on Saturday 1st April 2017.
James fell in the 3.45 race and collided with the fence sustaining a significant head injury. He was attended immediately by the racecourse medical team which included Consultants in Emergency Med...icine and Intensive Care & Anaesthetics as well as paramedics. It was immediately apparent that this was a substantial brain injury and after stabilisation he was flown by Air Ambulance to Southampton Hospital. He was ventilated from the time of the accident.
On arrival and after subsequent examination, it became apparent that the degree of brain damage was such that this was not a survivable injury. James deteriorated over night and died peacefully on Sunday.
James died competing in a sport he loved, and around which he had built his life and some wonderful friendships.
Any enquiries should be directed to Liz Ampairee at the Injured Jockeys Fund, 0773 333 1945, liz@lizampairee.com

I wasn't sure where to put this - here or in the pointing thread. Either way it is tragic news and the Point to Point world is in shock. It just goes to show how easy it is for something like this to happen however much is done to ensure Health and Safety guidelines are in place. I am sure many will question the age of the jockey but he was thoroughly competent and had every right to be riding. His brother, Peter, was a huge part of the Cheltenham Festival for many years being involved in sponsorship and is now part of a drive to promote pointing in the same way. My thoughts are with him and James' family.

Not seen anything posted about so...
Rumours online, and from someone at Aintree Saturday that Robbie Power is to lose his job with Potts?
Not sure the truth if any, but seen quite a few rumours about regarding this.

Some people say anything is possible with Potts, but Power only became his retained jockey ten days ago and has had a dream start.

Last edited:
Some people say anything is possible with Potts, but Power only became his retained jockey ten days ago and has had a dream start.

I'd say RP is the third best jockey riding at the moment behind Ruby& BJG-he is riding with supreme confidence at the moment.Mr Potts is a volatile character -but I have heard good reports about his decency and generosity towards stable staff-odds against the arrangement survives next season.
I'd say Aidan Coleman got the hair dryer treatment after the Champion Chase.

Back