Jockey News

In the last season or two he went from being a positive to a negative for me. I think he's made the right decision.

Injured Jockeys Fund update on George Baker

After a brief spell in a rehabilitation centre, George Baker has now returned home.

Today (28 April) he went to Oaksey House in Lambourn where he met the neuro physio team who will be supporting him as he moves into the next stage of his recovery. George said “It is so fantastic to be back at home with Nicola and my daughter. I had a great first session with the team at Oaksey House this morning and feel really positive about working with them over the next few months.”

Last edited:
Nasty fall for Ana O'brien at Killarney tonight. An air ambulance apparently en route to the course.

It's been a long time in the offing but Cathy Gannon has finally announce her retirement from race riding after nearly losing a foot in an injury at Lingfield last year.

She was champion apprentice in Ireland when attached to the John Oxx stable. Opportunities were limited there, however, because Oxx has always been able to call on the likes of Michael Kinane, Johnny Murtagh, Niall McCullagh, Pat Eddery, Raymond Carroll and many other good riders, so she moved to England. To my surprise she only ever rode one Group winner because she was tough and very capable, but she had a decent career knocking out plenty of winners at the gaff tracks.

It was interesting to see Malcolm Saunders saying he had given plenty of rides to Josephine Gordon because of the positive experience he had with Cathy Gannon. In such ways do pathfinders benefit those who follow them.

Last edited:
She had turned the corner in her career for the past few years and was riding well.
You would have to wonder if ladies just have softer bones than their male counterparts lady jockeys , especially on the flat seem to have a higher incidence of fractures in their life story.
A pity as they are all well up to the job.
Fleetingly met Joanna Morgan at Reading station on my way to Cheltenham last year , remarking it was the first time in a long time she was without crutches.
"Part of my life, I am afraid and a pure pain in the ass " was her reply.

Sporting Life:
Bryan Cooper will no longer be the retained rider for Gigginstown House Stud. The leading owners will use the best available jockeys, including Cooper, as of today, Gigginstown racing manager Eddie O'Leary has said.
After hitting the headlines with a treble at the Cheltenham Festival in 2013, Cooper was handed the coveted role at the start of 2014, replacing Davy Russell.
The combination has gone on to enjoy great success, winning numerous Grade One prizes with the likes of Identity Thief, Don Poli, and, most notably, 2016 Cheltenham Gold Cup hero Don Cossack.
Cooper's latest top-level victory in the maroon and white silks of Ryanair supremo Michael O'Leary's operation was aboard Apple's Jade in the Mares Champion Hurdle at Punchestown in April, also steering her to Cheltenham glory the previous month.
Gigginstown Stud's manager, Eddie O'Leary, said: "There's been no parting company, we'll still be using him a lot, he just won't have automatic first choice as of today.
"We'll still be using and supporting him, but he won't have first call on the horses, that's all."
O'Leary revealed the team did not intend to appoint a direct replacement, adding: "There are a lot of good riders out there.
"Be it Bryan or Sean Flanagan or Davy Russell or Jack Kennedy, we'll be using the best available."

This should come as a surprise to no one. Too many nights on the **** in Camden St in Dublin. I've met him in the jacks of Ryans more than the usual black lad drying your hands.

He'd have fitted in well in Big Ron's day LOL

The very thought they replaced Davy Russell in the first place makes me wonder if they have a screw loose.

I reckon if I was riding for them I'd be out on the p!ss every night too :0)

Back