Jockey News

Just re watched the ride back he gave Grand Roi, minding the horse comes to my head. Undoubtedly would have won if he got after it. Race course gallop.
You can feel hard done by on the ride he gave Magic Saint, wouldn’t have won, but could have been closer.

It’s asif if he minds the horses. Can absolutely assure you if he had been riding Skandiburg today instead of Sheehan the horse would have been pulled up 4 out or ‘minded for another time’

Nicky knows better than me, but I just cannot warm to De Boinville,l. He won’t be replaced so it’s a pointless task thinking about it, could name 6 or 7 jockeys off top of my head now I’d want aboard before De Boinville, and that’s just the ones that reside in England and are not tied up.

Last edited:
Champion Jockey Richard Johnson win % this season Hurdles 21% Chase 17% Bumpers 12%

....................... Nico De Boinville win % this season Hurdles 19% Chase 29% Bumpers 28%

Champion Jockey Richard Johnson win % last five seasons Hurdles 21% Chase 18% Bumpers 21%

....................... Nico De Boinville win % last five seasons Hurdles 22% Chase 23% Bumpers 16%

Not too shabby I would say

Champion Jockey Richard Johnson win % this season Hurdles 21% Chase 17% Bumpers 12%

....................... Nico De Boinville win % this season Hurdles 19% Chase 29% Bumpers 28%

Champion Jockey Richard Johnson win % last five seasons Hurdles 21% Chase 18% Bumpers 21%

....................... Nico De Boinville win % last five seasons Hurdles 22% Chase 23% Bumpers 16%

Not too shabby I would say

Not at all but it could be argued that's the same as showing Dettori's stats for rides...who hardly rides for anyone else other than Gosden who has very few 'shabby' horses, so of course the figures are going to be impressive.
I didn't say he was a bad jockey, I just can't warm to him, and he wouldn't be in my top ten picks to ride a horse I had an interest in either.
A very young friend ( who in all honesty knows/knew little about jump racing when he went there, didn't know who John Francome was until I told him ) worked at Henderson's for a while, couldn't speak highly enough of him, Nico, as a human being round the yard, and I am sure he is a really good/nice guy, but.....

Johnson would have more rides I am guessing?

"There are lies, damned lies, and statistics"

Agreed, while I’ve fairly indifferent feelings towards NDB you can only correctly apply win %age stats in conjunction with SPs

4 day ban for Richard Johnson for whip abuse on Thomas Darby. How much longer can racing allow horses to keep the race when the jockey has broken the rules?

And yes that is pocket talk having backed the 2nd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dickie Johnson broken right arm confirmed, due to have it plated within two days and reckons he'll be back for the Festival.

Interested to watch Cieren Fallon today in the first at York (he replaced Tudhope on My Lord and Master). Missed the break but didn't panic, one smack then hands and heels to finish a good second. I was quite impressed given his inexperience. He really got the horse to run. Apparently looks after the horse at home.

He really has come of age today.

Could well be as good or even better than his dad. So many ways to spell Cieren, Kieren, Kieron. Generally all great guys, though :D

Last edited:
Is all going well at Beckhampton? In 2018 Jason Watson was champion apprentice and looked a rising star. Charlton had lost his young stable jockey Shoemark ans appointed Watson for 2019. After an early injury to Watson the stable had a good season with ntwo Group1s and two Group 2s, alongside a number of promising 2yo wins..
However this season a few hopes have been dashed with the defeats of Quadrilateral and Headman. Today Charlton is running a half-brother to Headman at Sandown, where Watson has an earlier ride. Yet Moore is riding Conscious today.

Why? I do hope a young, talented jockey is not being jocked-off by one of Charlton's owners.

Last edited:
Is all going well at Beckhampton? In 2018 Jason Watson was champion apprentice and looked a rising star. Charlton had lost his young stable jockey Shoemark ans appointed Watson for 2019. After an early injury to Watson the stable had a good season with ntwo Group1s and two Group 2s, alongside a number of promising 2yo wins..
However this season a few hopes have been dashed with the defeats of Quadrilateral and Headman. Today Charlton is running a half-brother to Headman at Sandown, where Watson has an earlier ride. Yet Moore is riding Conscious today.

Why? I do hope a young, talented jockey is not being jocked-off by one of Charlton's owners.
This story continues. 9 days ago Charlton had 2 winners. With Watson winning a G2 at York with Aspetar you might have thought things had been sorted out. That was even if Moore won on Blue Mist at Ascot. The next day Watson won on Tamaris, a handicapper, at Wolverhampton but Murphy rode amántame in an even bigger handicap at Ascot.
But there were no mixed messages over the last 8 days. Watson has hardly ridden for Charlton and the really telling booking was Murphy for Withold, a horse Watson has ridden to win on a few times, is ridden by Murphy when Watson is at the meeting.
I look at the Sporting Life Search facility and see, despite several Charlton entries, that Watson has no booked rides in the coming week. This must be knocking his confidence for six.

Does anyone know how Jamie Moore is after his fall yesterday? I keep looking at the racing press but can't find anything.

Does anyone know how Jamie Moore is after his fall yesterday? I keep looking at the racing press but can't find anything.

Moore was the first to suffer injury when unseated from Alka Step.

The nine-year-old, trained by John Bridger, made a bad blunder at the fifth-last fence in the attheraces.com Novices’ Handicap Chase over three and a quarter miles.

The next race was delayed by 10 minutes while he received treatment on course.

“I have spoken to the doctors that treated him on track and he has gone to hospital in Brighton for precautionary X-rays. He was conscious,” said clerk of the course, Philip Hide.

This story continues. 9 days ago Charlton had 2 winners. With Watson winning a G2 at York with Aspetar you might have thought things had been sorted out. That was even if Moore won on Blue Mist at Ascot. The next day Watson won on Tamaris, a handicapper, at Wolverhampton but Murphy rode amántame in an even bigger handicap at Ascot.
But there were no mixed messages over the last 8 days. Watson has hardly ridden for Charlton and the really telling booking was Murphy for Withold, a horse Watson has ridden to win on a few times, is ridden by Murphy when Watson is at the meeting.
I look at the Sporting Life Search facility and see, despite several Charlton entries, that Watson has no booked rides in the coming week. This must be knocking his confidence for six.

Watson was on the Charlton winner (Bullfinch) last night at Kempton.

Watson was on the Charlton winner (Bullfinch) last night at Kempton.

Yes, after his two Juddmonte wins last weekend (Beheld looked very promising) and his win on Bullfinch I was hoping and thinking that the status quo had returned. However today Withhold was ridden by Moore in the Lonsdale, with Watson on the Mullins outsider. As it was Watson was a good 2nd and could have been nearer if Withhold's swift retreat at the 2f pole hadn't baulked Stratum, Watson's mount.
But the unkindest cut is on Sunday with the ride on Quadrilateral taken over by Moore, and Watson not even riding Charlton's Makram (former stable jockey Shoemark rides) though he's at the course with a ride.
Even tomorrow Egan rides Dancing Approach for Charlton, a horse Watson won on last time he rode it. Watson has one ride for Mullins in the Ebor.

My thinking is that the Royal Ascot rides are behind all this. Watson had a nightmare ride on Blue Mist, but that could have happened to anyone with that sort of horse in a race like the Wokingham. He did ride an injudicious race on Headman getting baulked and behind and then pulling the horse about 7 wide coming into the straight. His rides on Quadrilateral are probably the problem though I feel there may be more to this. Those who saw Quadrilateral run last year will not recognise the 3yo version. Last year she needed some galvanising in her races yet came through as the leading staying-filly. This year she has pulled and pulled. She doesn't seem the same filly. About 3 weeks ago they revealed that she was scoped and found to have an infected sinus, with the result that a tooth, that was extracted, was found to be causing it. Could the rotten tooth be the cause of this change in character? Her 'disappointing runs' may not be the fault of Watson at all.

Back