Juddmonte International

I think he did his best work in the last furlong of the Derby. Not saying he's a stayer, just the pace was very slow.

I think he did his best work in the last furlong of the Derby. Not saying he's a stayer, just the pace was very slow.

i thought he did his best work from 3 out to 1 out..then it flattened off...not watched it for a bit mind you

either way..he's an exceptional horse..and points to just how good STS was to repel him

Think they should send Fame and Glory to the Prix Foy and Rip to the Irish Champion which would be perfect for him. Cape Blanco in the Niel would test the water with the French 3 year olds.

Exciting race today and very exciting performance. Where was Dick Turpin? Didn't stay presumably.

O'Brien went on: "You have to say Johnny was marvellous today. He just let him take his time to come into the race and let things happen.
"We wouldn't mind stepping back to a mile again now and we could look at the QEII. There's the Irish Champion Stakes, but we have the other horse for that (Fame And Glory).
"Last year the Breeders' Cup was a wash-out because he was tired coming into the race.
"This year we have geared him for the second part of the season and you would love to go back to America again, either for the Mile or the Classic."

Absolutely delighted for Rip van Winkle. A cracking performance and while I think that he is better at ten furlongs, I'd love to see him take on Canford Cliffs again.

"You have to say Johnny was marvellous today. He just let him take his time to come into the race and let things happen"

That's what I thought too. It seemed to me Rip was tentative at first about letting himself down and had the issue been forced it might not have worked out. It was a fine performance in the end and I hope he comes out of the race ok.

Tough horse. Rip was going up and down for a couple of strides when under pressure, but fought back really well.

No chance he'll step back in trip now, I would have thought.

Think they should send Fame and Glory to the Prix Foy and Rip to the Irish Champion which would be perfect for him. Cape Blanco in the Niel would test the water with the French 3 year olds.

Exciting race today and very exciting performance. Where was Dick Turpin? Didn't stay presumably.

Hughsie gave Dick Turpin a hard race all the way to the line just to keep 5th place - I'd be worried about the effect that may have on him - no need for it as all chance had gone.:(

Safe to say Dick Turpin will be back to a mile next time.

I'm sure Hannon will still look for a way to keep him away from Canford Cliffs.

This has shown Hannon to be a bit of a clown I feel ... the horse is and never was anything but a miler. You will rarely see a horse step up in trip for such little reason.

I should think so... I don't see the same about Rip though.

The Irish Champion is their last chance to get another (and serious) Group 1 over 10 furlongs into Fame And Glory - he has no other options.

Rip Van Winkle will not take on Fame in the Irish Champion so his only option is Ascot unless they just sit him in his box until America and that is not going to happen.

This has shown Hannon to be a bit of a clown I feel ... the horse is and never was anything but a miler. You will rarely see a horse step up in trip for such little reason.

how do you know it was Hannon's choice?

i've said it before..any chance to kick Hannon in the goolies and its there :)

Hughsie gave Dick Turpin a hard race all the way to the line just to keep 5th place - I'd be worried about the effect that may have on him - no need for it as all chance had gone.:(

After connections spent £60k on the supplementary fee, it's hard to criticise him for doing his best to minimise their loss.

EC, you are looking (again) for something that isn't there ... it is clear to everyone Hannon has been looking for ways to keep his horses apart this season. Fair enough if that still means you are running the horses in the right races. He wasn't, with his preposterous idea of running Dick Turpin in a Deauville Group 2 carrying a 7 pound penalty. The owner then stepped in and paid the supplementary fee to ensure if he was running in a 10 furlong race, at least let it be a Group 1.

The only person with a Hannon complex is you. I would, and have, said the same about other trainers when they are doing something which is not in the best interests of a horse.

The Irish Champion is their last chance to get another (and serious) Group 1 over 10 furlongs into Fame And Glory - he has no other options.

Rip Van Winkle will not take on Fame in the Irish Champion so his only option is Ascot unless they just sit him in his box until America and that is not going to happen.

I'd agree that Fame could well have preference for the Irish Champion, but the Arc is his aim and they have the option of the Arc trial in France for him.

They don't need to leave Rip in his box if he doesn't go for the Irish Champion, but perhaps it would be no bad thing after two recent hard races.

Last edited:

These running plans make the most sense to me.

...well it was worth trying, but I'd agree he looks better at around a mile than further.

They don't need to leave Rip in his box if he doesn't go for the Irish Champion, but perhaps it would be no bad thing after two recent hard races.

Where will he go if he does not run in the Irish Champion - considering they have made it clear today that America is a big aim for the horse?

Back