King George 2009

Looking at the Coronation Cup, I think Look Here would have won given a more positive ride by Sanders. I'm unsure why he chose to hold up a horse whose main asset is stamina, and I hope Rafe will have a quiet word before the KG:

What will they do with Masterofthehorse this season? I thought the KG would have been ideal, even though I wouldn't fancy him to necessarily win it.

I see he has been left in next weeks Meld Stakes over 10 furlongs at Leopardstown - though he is one of 9 entries from the yard.

Cheers Flame.

I have topped up on Look here this morning at 10. I can see her starting 5/1 or less, especially if Tartan Bearer or Ask don't run.

Interesting viewpoint on the RPTV preview of the King George regarding Conduit's apparent preference for going left-handed.

Cheers Flame.

I have topped up on Look here this morning at 10. I can see her starting 5/1 or less, especially if Tartan Bearer or Ask don't run.

Interesting viewpoint on the RPTV preview of the King George regarding Conduit's apparent preference for going left-handed.

Yes I saw that too. He has a mediocre record right handed (perhaps his Eclipse run wasn't up to scratch after all).

Ask would only run if there's a bit of give.

Confirmed on Channon's site not long ago;

YOUMZAIN RULED OUT OF KING GEORGE
YOUMZAIN will be an absentee from the King George VI And Queen Elizabeth Stakes on Saturday week after sustaining a minor setback.

The six-year-old was this morning found to have a swollen near-fore joint that although superficial is enough to scupper his chance of lining-up for Ascot's mid-summer feature.

Mick said: "The horse isn't lame but there's swelling round the joint and we can't take any chances. X-rays taken on the leg showed nothing for us to get worried about, and he'll hopefully be back later in the year."

Youmzain finished third in last year's King George and most recently occupied the same placing in the Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud. Ironically he had worked encouragingly in a visor as recently as Tuesday.
posted by, Neil Morrice | Thu 16th, Jul 2009 13:19

Confirmed on Channon's site not long ago;

YOUMZAIN RULED OUT OF KING GEORGE
YOUMZAIN will be an absentee from the King George VI And Queen Elizabeth Stakes on Saturday week after sustaining a minor setback.

The six-year-old was this morning found to have a swollen near-fore joint that although superficial is enough to scupper his chance of lining-up for Ascot's mid-summer feature.

Mick said: "The horse isn't lame but there's swelling round the joint and we can't take any chances. X-rays taken on the leg showed nothing for us to get worried about, and he'll hopefully be back later in the year."

Youmzain finished third in last year's King George and most recently occupied the same placing in the Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud. Ironically he had worked encouragingly in a visor as recently as Tuesday.
posted by, Neil Morrice | Thu 16th, Jul 2009 13:19

Thanks Flame. Much appreciated.

Looks like Ballymacoll Stud is prepared to let Conduit and Tartan Bearer take each other on in the King George. At the moment they expect both to run.

Yes I saw that too. He has a mediocre record right handed (perhaps his Eclipse run wasn't up to scratch after all).

Ask would only run if there's a bit of give.

I am puzzled by what is mediocre about his RH form

Kempton AW 3rd - mayhave not liked the AW track..and..only his 2nd run..he didn't really win like a 10/11 shot next time on sand either when going LH

Sandown - 3rd - took a keen hold early - probably would have lost on any course

Ascot - 2nd - bumped - switched just got beat

Goodwood - Won - hanging under pressure - Goodwood doesn't suit all horses..quite a few hang there

Sandown 2nd - needs further

All the races he won going left handed suited him at the time re distance...he has never raced right handed at a trip likely for him to show his best..bar for one run at Ascot..hardly enough to say he don't like going RH

I don't agree its the handed that isn't suiting tbh..other issues at play I think

distance mainly

Kempton AW 3rd - mayhave not liked the AW track..and..only his 2nd run..he didn't really win like a 10/11 shot next time on sand either when going LH

Goodwood - Won - hanging under pressure - Goodwood doesn't suit all horses..quite a few hang there

All the races he won going left handed suited him at the time re distance...he has never raced right handed at a trip likely for him to show his best..bar for one run at Ascot..hardly enough to say he don't like going RH

I don't agree its the handed that isn't suiting tbh..other issues at play I think

distance mainly

I don't think you're playing the percentages right if you can name six below par runs going right handed but precede to ignore what you've discovered.

I think you're both right (re Conduit).

All runs:

RH: 25% win ratio
LH: 66%

Runs over 1m4f+

RH: 50%
LH: 100%

Runs over <1m4f

RH: 0%
LH: 50%

To me that shows a clear preference for LH, 1m4f+, which isn't to say that he can't win the KGVIQEDS, but does, to my mind, say that he shouldn't be favourite for it as there is every chance he'll be a few pounds off his best.

distance mainly

...don't shoot the messenger! :)

JDCF pointed this out before the Brigadier Gerrard and it's very interesting and I'd say there's some substance to it.

I think it's utter BS to be honest. His run in the Eclipse from a form point of view was better than his Leger victory and almost as good as his BC win.

Going left handed he's run into a Leger field where his main opponents either didn't stay or ran below form and a BC race where they went too fast and he was ideally placed to take advantage.

Going right handed he has had to carry a big penalty first time out in a conditions race and faced the best 3yo colt since Montjeu. Compare the way the race fell for him perfectly in America to the hurdles he had to overcome at Goodwood and Ascot last year. At the former track they went no pace and he had to overcome trouble in running in the Edward VII and still ran on really well.

I'm against the animal at a short price for the KG but not for these reasons. Complete red herring imo.

You have to look beyond the form figures. I remember saying on here last year after the Betfair Chase that Kauto Star wasn't as good going left handed and Gareth posted form figures that seemed to back this up. Utter rubbish of course.

Last edited:
I think it's utter BS to be honest. His run in the Eclipse from a form point of view was better than his Leger victory and almost as good as his BC win.

Going left handed he's run into a Leger field where his main opponents either didn't stay or ran below form and a BC race where they went too fast and he was ideally placed to take advantage.

Going right handed he has had to carry a big penalty first time out in a conditions race and faced the best 3yo colt since Montjeu. Compare the way the race fell for him perfectly in America to the hurdles he had to overcome at Goodwood and Ascot last year. At the former track they went no pace and he had to overcome trouble in running in the Edward VII and still ran on really well.

I'm against the animal at a short price for the KG but not for these reasons. Complete red herring imo.

You have to look beyond the form figures. I remember saying on here last year after the Betfair Chase that Kauto Star wasn't as good going left handed and Gareth posted form figures that seemed to back this up. Utter rubbish of course.

Completely agree....his Ascot run was a crawl of a race and his Goodwood effort was on a track that probably did not suit him.

The evidence points to him going well left handed but far too little evidence to suggest he prefers going that way to the right handed direction.

To be honest I think he is probably a little over rated (his Breeders Cup win was handed to him by Ballydoyle) and much prefer Tartan Bearer in the same ownership.

Just to be clear (as I was the unfortunate soul who brought the Conduit RH point up) - I don't necessarily agree with it, but it's something to consider, and you certainly can't say at this stage there's nothing to it.

Agree Galileo about Tartan Bearer being the more likely of the two Ballymacoll horses.

Just to be clear (as I was the unfortunate soul who brought the Conduit RH point up) - I don't necessarily agree with it, but it's something to consider, and you certainly can't say at this stage there's nothing to it.

Like I said... don't shoot the messanger.

Back