King George 2009

No way is Ask's form stronger than Tartan Bearer's. If Ask is Stoute's best chance in this, he may as well scratch all 3 of them!

I wouldn't say Ask is Stoute's best chance, but I think on a surface that doesn't have the word 'firm' in it, he'd have a chance.

If Ask can be dismissed, where does that leave Look Here?

I can't for the life of me work out Alwaary's price, especially when you compare it with Golden Sword at 4/1! With normal luck in running, he would be a Group 2 winner over 1m4 against older horses - in a year without a superstar, this must entitle him to be single figures?

I'd be surprised if Alwaary was good enough. Even if you put him alongside Doctor Fremantle in the Princess of Wales, it still leaves him with 7 or 8 lb to find with the best of these. I'd far rather have seen him go the Lucarno route of Voltigeur and Leger, I think he'd have a good chance in that.

I wouldn't say Ask is Stoute's best chance, but I think on a surface that doesn't have the word 'firm' in it, he'd have a chance.

If Ask can be dismissed, where does that leave Look Here?

I can't for the life of me work out Alwaary's price, especially when you compare it with Golden Sword at 4/1! With normal luck in running, he would be a Group 2 winner over 1m4 against older horses - in a year without a superstar, this must entitle him to be single figures?

I do not rate Look Here's chances that highly but would give her a better chance than Ask considering he beat her on her seasonal debut and he had the benefit of a run. The Coronation Cup does not look the strongest of form.

I'd be surprised if Alwaary was good enough. Even if you put him alongside Doctor Fremantle in the Princess of Wales, it still leaves him with 7 or 8 lb to find with the best of these. I'd far rather have seen him go the Lucarno route of Voltigeur and Leger, I think he'd have a good chance in that.

Yes, I agree, he still has a few pounds to find. However, he seems to be very much on the upgrade and is lightly raced. Golden Sword is beginning to look slightly exposed (at a good level though!) and there should not, in my opinion, be the disparity in price that there is between the two.

Alwaary (USA) 3.c
Ask 6.h
Cima de Triomphe (IRE) 4.c
Conduit (IRE) 4.c
Freemantle 3.c
Frozen Fire (GER) 4.c
Golden Sword 3.c
Look Here 4.f
Rockhampton (IRE) 3.c
Scintillo 4.c
Tartan Bearer (IRE) 4.c

Bar one or two, that's a pretty dreadful field for a King George. How long before it's reduced to G2?

The King George's Pattern Race Rating (based on the average ratings of the first four home in each of the last three years) is currently 122.25. Only the Juddmonte International (123.50) and the Prince of Wales's Stakes (123.42) have higher ratings in Britain.

That average of 122.25 would have to drop to 110 before the race would be subject to demotion.

Given that not many on here seem to overly fancy Conduit, it could be a close race going to any one of half a dozen.
Timeform ratings seem to bear this out. It has Conduit on the top rating of 137 (weight adjusted). But if you take that one out Tartan Bearer is on 134, Look Here on 133, Ask on 132, Golden Sword on 128. Added to which Frozen Fire could go close if reproducing his Irish Derby form and Cima and Alwaary aren’t totally out of it.
So it’s tricky… Not a race to go heavy on anything imo.

I’m thinking that those with a bit of each-way value on Look Here and Ask may come off best.

Well only of them is a Group One winner...

...and only a 2lb difference on ratings. Plus I was quite impressed with Ask's narrow victory at Epsom and quite disappointed with Tartan Bearer's laboured performance at Ascot when eventually finishing running up.

I can't really split these two, but if anything fancy Ask over TB.

Last edited:
Well only of them is a Group One winner...

Tartan Bearers run in the Derby and in the Prince Of Wales (in a slowly run 10 furlong race that would not suit) is better than Ask's effort in the Coronation Cup in my opinion.

Ask is a grand horse, but needs a test over this sort of trip in soft ground to be at his best....the Coronation Cup was a messy race and he took advantage of a good ride to nick it. Not for me and he has disappointed at Ascot in the past. Getting sweeter and sweeter on Tartan Bearer.

Getting sweeter and sweeter on Tartan Bearer.

What did you think of TB's run at the Royal meeting though?... I wasn't particularly impressed. Seemed to take an age to get there. Surely such a type would struggle to win the KG, despite having place claims.

What did you think of TB's run at the Royal meeting though?... I wasn't particularly impressed. Seemed to take an age to get there. Surely such a type would struggle to win the KG, despite having place claims.

I thought he would run better but he was totally unsuited to the pretty average gallop set over the trip. Whats more he always seemed to be trapped a little too wide. He needs (and will get) a proper test over 12 furlongs and I love his attitude.

I thought he would run better but he was totally unsuited to the pretty average gallop set over the trip. Whats more he always seemed to be trapped a little too wide. He needs (and will get) a proper test over 12 furlongs and I love his attitude.

I liked the way he finished in the race prior to Ascot, despite getting short-headed. I'm worried about his inability to quicken though. A KG winner usually has to quicken.

A Lay for me

Tartan Bearers run in the Derby and in the Prince Of Wales (in a slowly run 10 furlong race that would not suit) is better than Ask's effort in the Coronation Cup in my opinion.

Ask is a grand horse, but needs a test over this sort of trip in soft ground to be at his best....the Coronation Cup was a messy race and he took advantage of a good ride to nick it. Not for me and he has disappointed at Ascot in the past. Getting sweeter and sweeter on Tartan Bearer.

i have always rated the Coronation Cup a better Race than the Derby and Tartan Bearer has not inpressed me to photo genic for my me. I make T.B. a lay.

From RP website:

ASCOT began watering on Monday after another dry day saw ground conditions quicken to good to firm, firm in places.

Chris Stickels, clerk of the course, said that less than 1mm of rain had been recorded since Friday night.

"As a result, we've put 10mm of water on the straight course and also from the Old Mile. We're forecast some rain for Tuesday, but then it is more or less a mixture of sunshine and showers with no large volumes of rain over the remainder of the week."

A Met Office spokesman said that the heavy rain originally expected over the area on Tuesday is now less likely, and may fall to the west of the racecourse.

He said: "There will be some rain, and possibly further spells overnight on Thursday. Otherwise, it will be a mixture of sunny spells and light showers."

From RP website:

ASCOT began watering on Monday after another dry day saw ground conditions quicken to good to firm, firm in places.

Chris Stickels, clerk of the course, said that less than 1mm of rain had been recorded since Friday night.
"As a result, we've put 10mm of water on the straight course and also from the Old Mile. We're forecast some rain for Tuesday, but then it is more or less a mixture of sunshine and showers with no large volumes of rain over the remainder of the week."

A Met Office spokesman said that the heavy rain originally expected over the area on Tuesday is now less likely, and may fall to the west of the racecourse.
He said: "There will be some rain, and possibly further spells overnight on Thursday. Otherwise, it will be a mixture of sunny spells and light showers."

Stickels and hose pipe = we are fooked

i wouldn't worry about the going..because you won't know what it is even when he tells you

Well, Chris's father Geoff made a mess of Brighton's grass for years, his mother Jane made any number of balls-ups in her stewarding capacity, so you'd have to expect the son to carry on a glorious family tradition of ineptitude!

Back