Miling Division 2010

Well done, Steve. It must be very satisfying when an odds-on shot wins very narrowly :p

I think Hughes got away with it today becasue Rip wasn't 100%. He weakened by somewhere between ½l-1l inside the last 100 yards or so, if you measure the distance he was clear of the remainder.

Once Rip is back to his best, the rematch, if it ever happens, will be interesting.

:lol: sour grapes doesn't suit you... It was the most comfortable neck beating I've ever seen... And surprisingly they still pay out on it!

Your last point is very, very wide of the mark. He has more than half a stone to improve to get near Goldikova. He is a very good Group 1 miler but no more, and it is quite likely he could be beaten by at least 1 of his stablemates should they race before the end of the season..

Wide of the mark in your opinion, not mine. He could beat Goldikova tomorrow as he could Paco Boy and as he did beat RVW today.

Goldikova would beat him with 5 pounds extra on her back...

Like I say in your opinion. It amazes me that some of you still don't get it about this horse. He has too may gears for Goldikova, too may gears for anything in training at the trip.

He would need to run to 137/138 to beat Goldikova at her best, and that still may not be enough. You can't honestly tell me you think he is that good, can you? He has had 5 races already this year and the most generous figure you could give him is 127.. really not sure where the improvement would or could come from..

He would need to run to 137/138 to beat Goldikova at her best, and that still may not be enough. You can't honestly tell me you think he is that good, can you? He has had 5 races already this year and the most generous figure you could give him is 127.. really not sure where the improvement would or could come from..

Again these ratings mystify the case. I don't know of any piece of form that entitles Goldikova to a rating in the high 130s (but then perhaps these are Timeform ratings to which you refer).

Whatever the number you want to use though, on a like-for-like basis I would expect Canford to be fully capable of running up to Goldikova's best. His ability to quicken and then quicken again... and then again, would be the decisive thing. I have no doubt whatsoever that he's good enough and will enjoy backing him to do just that when the opportunity arises.

Last edited:
His ability to quicken and then quicken again... and then again, would be the decisive thing. I have no doubt whatsoever that he's good enough and will enjoy backing him to do just that when the opportunity arises.

When has he done this?

I need to check on who rated her what - can someone help? I'm meant to be listening to a conference call at work!

When has he done this?

I need to check on who rated her what - can someone help? I'm meant to be listening to a conference call at work!

You can be sure that I'll be backing Canford all day long to beat Goldikova (or anything else) when/if they meet because I know he will beat her. It won't matter what the numbers might be, this colt can defy whatever rating they make up for him and has the decisive beating of her, imo.

Canford was almost all out for me today,
only allowed half a length of held up at very best,in the last 20yds after being all out, I also doubt he will hit a 130.

Goldikova should beat him easily and many 3yo are close to him and can beat him with the conditions to suit(Lope, Dick T, Makfi), of the older horses Rip could reverse anmd not sure he would beat his stablemate Paco Boy.

He gave them about 4-5 lengths at the start as well.

Hughes gave him three taps, nothing more. I was super impressed - Still didn't back him though :)

From me?!

He is so good they are talking about finishing him for the year rather than taking on Goldikova. Sounds like a real champion miler to me... :whistle:

He fell out of the gates Hamm. I don't think Hughes intended on being quite so slowly away.

This was a top class performance and the more he races and learns to settle the better he will be. Hughes is at the very top of his game at the moment as well.

Looked to me as if CANFORD CLIFFS had quite a bit in hand and indeed did win cleverly. It's amazing how good he is as his pedigree's nothing special but they'll be smiling at Redpender for sure!

the horse had just got going..another 100 yards and he would been 3 or 4 ahead

Can't agree, EC1. CC's momentum was taking him past the tiring Rip so Hughes could afford to make it look easy but he stopped very quickly after the line whereas Rip kept running. I reckon CC was close to all out.

a briddle horse asked to the maxium ridden by Hughes 300yds to the post,
for me was almost all out, 5 starts in the season , I dont think he is a 130+ horse.

Think Hughes only used the whip to stop him from hanging in behind Rip, not convinced he's a straight forward ride but he's most certainly a top class racehorse.

Would love to see him take on Makfi and co in the Jacques Le Marois given Makfi had excuses at Ascot and it would also involve taking on Goldikova, Fuisse etc. though I doubt it will happen.

Think Hughes only used the whip to stop him from hanging in behind Rip, not convinced he's a straight forward ride but he's most certainly a top class racehorse.

Would love to see him take on Makfi and co in the Jacques Le Marois given Makfi had excuses at Ascot and it would also involve taking on Goldikova, Fuisse etc. though I doubt it will happen.

DO...a horse like CC is unlikely to run after the line..he is about burst of speed..RVW is a galloper so is more likely to keep his momentum going...before the line he is going past RVW with plenty of forward momentum

Dream Eater's position today and behind Goldikova makes Goldikova's task of beating CC very difficult imo

Last edited:
Cantered all over them ! He was scarcely off the bridle .

RVW has turned the form massively round with Dream Eater from Ascot - he was near his best I reckon . I just think he is a better horse at 10f now - Paco Boy was injured in last year's Sussex so I suspect the win flattered RVW .

The 10f division is pretty weak surely that is where RVW should go now.

Again these ratings mystify the case. I don't know of any piece of form that entitles Goldikova to a rating in the high 130s (but then perhaps these are Timeform ratings to which you refer).

Whatever the number you want to use though, on a like-for-like basis I would expect Canford to be fully capable of running up to Goldikova's best. His ability to quicken and then quicken again... and then again, would be the decisive thing. I have no doubt whatsoever that he's good enough and will enjoy backing him to do just that when the opportunity arises.

Here you go Hamm.

Taking RPRs on a like-for-like basis. Goldikova has a 131 achieved at Deauville last season. Her next best rating is a 126 (Canford also achieved a 126 at the Curragh). Then Goldikova has a handful of ratings in the mid- to low-120s.

Canford has already scored a 124 and a 126 and whatever they rate him today. So Canford is already there on the sort of ratings being achieved by Goldikova. With only slight improvement he will also be a 130 performer, if not already after today.

However, ratings will only tell part of the story with Canford. He is clearly better than any mark he has so far run to. A horse like Goldikova will serve only to make him go a bit faster.

And for some of you others. I'm sorry for you if you can't tell just how easily he won today. As one of you said, he was super impressive. How any can think this was an all-out performance in which he ran to his extent is beyond me. He had loads in the tank the timing of the run was super confident making it appear close. He was good for another four lengths today.

Last edited:
Back