New Approach

As for everyone saying New Approach should win, or he is a great horse....name me one person on this thread that has said any of those? In fact a few have said while the trip is not a problem, he still might not be good enough to win again the older horses!

Just the point i was going to make. I`d back him all day over 10f against Henry... or Mount Nelson but if DoM turned up I wouldn`t fancy NA at all.

No, no one is back tracking...its all been said on previous posts if you bothered to read. Dalakhani did not run in the Irish Champion.

I've nothing more to add to my view anyway...I'll be the first to admit if I'm wrong if he does run in the race...making excuses before about...if it doesn't win then it won't be the distance...don't really impress me much...it's like argueing you are right and not being prepared to admit you are wrong...that sort of view...as expressed a couple of times on this thread here smacks of never being wrong attitude

Point taken EC1, but to be honest I'd be more inclined to believe he was simply beaten by a better horse (or horses). All of the evidence points to him being fully effective over 10 furlongs.

By the same token, it seems rather simplistic of you to seemingly state that if he is beaten, then it is automatically down to the trip, does it not? BTW I agree that this debate is very much worth having (though we're going round in circles now).

Of course DT won the Irish Champion, but last year's race certainly wasn't the same quality as previous years. I was actually thinking of Grey Swallow when I said it (though whether he was anywhere near good enough to win an Arc at his best is debatable!).

because even at 2 he isn't fully developed distance wise...horse is still a baby

That doesn't explain it. If he was mature at 2 then 7f at 2 would be the same as 7f at 3.

winning the Dewhurst isn't really championship stuff either re this moment in time is it?

He was champion 2yo based on his runs over 7f.

By the same token, it seems rather simplistic of you to seemingly state that if he is beaten, then it is automatically down to the trip, does it not? BTW I agree that this debate is very much worth having (though we're going round in circles now).

!).

you got me always up there Trackside..conceded :cool:

Gareth...your post puzzles me re the 7f at 2..3 business...I'm sure you know what you are saying ...heads spinning a bit with it now...so will pass on the reply at the moment

Ditto, EC!

We both agree that for a 2yo, a test over 7f like the Dewhurst is roughly equivalent to a test over 10f for a 3yo, right?

yes

but horses also develop into needing further as they mature...particularly at longer distances...many early 3yo's start off winning at 10f then progress to 12f for instances

so just by saying 2yo 7f = 10f ..does not mean that is the ultimate distance for a developing horse.

many early 3yo's start off winning at 10f then progress to 12f for instances

Yes - generally the ones that were winning over 8f at 2.

so just by saying 2yo 7f = 10f ..does not mean that is the ultimate distance for a developing horse.

We're not talking about 'ultimate distances' though, just whether it'll be such a problem for New Approach that he's an automatic lay over it.

you are generalising about them all winning at 8f..I never said it was an exact predictor...it's racing.

i never said anything was an "automatic" lay either...there is no such thing

I said in my first post...

surely a lay at that distance Gareth?

It totally depends on the ground. New Approach is a 12f animal who needs soft ground to be seen anywhere near his best over shorter. I hope it`s firm for the Irish Champion and Bolger pulls him out.

I would be gobsmacked if Bolger didn't run him at Leopardstown unless there's something amiss with the horse (including needing more time to recover from today). He loves the race, won it with New Approach's dam and has thrown pretty much every half-suitable Group horse he's had at it.

will be bad placing if he runs NA over 10f again

I don't know about DOM form tailing off..not bad to win a juddmonte on a downward spiral is it?..:eek:..NA's run today was poor compared to his best

keep messing 3yo's about over all sorts of distances when they don't win at those distances and you get a formline of disappointment.

It will be interesting to see how Casual Conquest and Tartan Bearer get on in the next few weeks. It will be interesting to know just how good New Approaches best actually is.

Any offers in the "yet another Derby winner doesn't win a race after Epsom" markets as yet?

Surely he must be a candidate for this if they want to keep him to 10f and when he does go back up in trip he'll be up against the best of the best.

which was exactly what happened to Motivator

it's quite clear that 10f is now the be all and end all...12f is turning into the new "leger" distance as far as the game goes

it's one of teh reasons why the KG is no longer of much interest

10f is THE distance required on the CV above all others

epsom derby will be 10f in a few years time

Last edited:
Back