Not looking good across the water

some of things that have been said about them have been egregiously (and deliberately) wrong. Really all stems back from the integrity cut which I still can't really fathom/

Can you fill us in? I haven't paid too much attention to this area as I think any person in the admin function in HRI or Turf Club who complains about a pay cut is having a laugh.Everyone needs to take the pain and this private/public sector argument just doesn't wash.

The army didn't get paid on Friday. Guess who the Minister for Defence is while we're waiting for the re-shuffle...yes Cowboy Cowan. All kinds of knock on affects for people with Mortgages, personal loans, direct debits, divorce settlements etc..The opposition are expected to make hay (understandably). The army can't speak out themselves but some how Fine Gael got wind of it :ninja: . Their press officer is ex army. Absolute banana fucking Republic we live in......actually an insult to banana Republics.

The chief executive of betting firm Paddy Power has warned that the company would examine the possibility of moving some operations to an offshore jurisdiction if its tax burden in Ireland continues to rise.

Patrick Kennedy made the comment yesterday as the company reported a 15pc decline in pre-tax profit to €67.2m during 2009. Betting turnover rose 31pc, and 36pc in constant currency terms, to €2.75bn.

The tax burden was high before and they (or punters) were happy to pay. It's much lower now and they are moaning.

Not sure of consequences yet

In the new look of Goverment departments Horse racing industry is to be moved from the Department of Sport to Department of Agriculture.
”I am transferring responsibility for the horse and greyhound racing industries to the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food’ said Cowan

That's a good move. Racing used to be in Dept of Agriculture where it was treated as an industry rather than a sport. When it moved to Dept of Sport it did well but has seen more severe cuts to its budget than other sports related areas, despite the fact that it is a major contributor to the Irish economy.

Overall, this is avery positive move. Now if they can just introduce the appropriate betting tax and include Betfair and link that tax to racing, we might be back on track.

looking across the water to germany just a small note that the Baden Baden Spring Meeting will NOT take place this year; for the moment at least. The new "owner" is trying to work towards a proper main meeting though ....

The Curragh has announced thatThe Emirates Equestrian Federation is to be the new sponsors of the Irish 2000 Guineas.

The two day meeting will be known as the Abu Dhabi Irish Guineas Festival.

looking across the water to germany just a small note that the Baden Baden Spring Meeting will NOT take place this year; for the moment at least. The new "owner" is trying to work towards a proper main meeting though ....

That's a serious loss, is it not? Why is it off?

That's a serious loss, is it not? Why is it off?

well, it cut a long and complicated story short, no money. Club is bust, and new owners, who include Dr. Andreas Jacobs (Newsells Park etc.) couldnt negotiate everything in time. Apperently all systems go for August, though ....

There's a very strong letter in the Irish Field today from John Oxx in which he denounces the "appalling" attitude of Paddy Power CEO Patrick Kennedy, and of the betting industry in general, at a meeting during the week of the parliamentary committee with responsibility for horse racing. Here are some extracts:

"What (Kennedy) had to say, and his arrogant demeanour throughout, was of great concern to me and should be to everybody involved in the racing and breeding industries...

Mr Kennedy stated that Irish racing was not world class, he advocated a significant (further) reduction in prize money and he described racing's relationship with the betting industry as parasitical... Mr Kennedy said that Paddy Power did not need Irish racing, a position which I find remarkable. Indeed, he gave the impression that he would not care if Irish racing ceased or closed down...

Mr Kennedy presented a range of figures and reasons to counter the suggestion that bookmakers should pay more tax, but the one figure which I cannot understand is how in 2001, when betting in Ireland was 1.3bn euro, the tax paid was 68m, but now that betting has increased to approximately 4.5bn, the tax has fallen to 31m."

Racing's relationship with the betting industry is parasitical? Unbelievable. Betting machinery is the biggest tapeworm in the world, feeding its bloated self on the mostly losing bets it encourages people to take up, luring them in by wafting 'free bets' at them. There's no such thing as a free bet - betting exists because people want to make a profit out of racing and other gambling 'opportunities'. Betting makes huge profits, showing that it parasitises the punter. I'm not surprised that John Oxx lost it. I just hope he doesn't run his horses in anything Power sponsors - and that any racecourse offered PP's sponsorship will say no, thanks, we couldn't possibly infest your business with our worms any more.

Racing's relationship with the betting industry is parasitical? Unbelievable. Betting machinery is the biggest tapeworm in the world, feeding its bloated self on the mostly losing bets it encourages people to take up, luring them in by wafting 'free bets' at them. There's no such thing as a free bet - betting exists because people want to make a profit out of racing and other gambling 'opportunities'. Betting makes huge profits, showing that it parasitises the punter. I'm not surprised that John Oxx lost it. I just hope he doesn't run his horses in anything Power sponsors - and that any racecourse offered PP's sponsorship will say no, thanks, we couldn't possibly infest your business with our worms any more.

Betting unfortunately exists because it's human nature to want to make some money without doing any actual work. It's 'easy' money. While the mediums exist that satisfies that need, then advantage will be taken of the majority who sign up.

Grey, that is an extraordinary and truly shocking statement from the rep of Paddy Power and makes me feel like closing my account. Not that they would notice! I thought PP looked after its racing clients (specials etc) because its owners had a love of racing as a sport - how naive. Is nothing sacred

Grey, that is an extraordinary and truly shocking statement from the rep of Paddy Power and makes me feel like closing my account. Not that they would notice! I thought PP looked after its racing clients (specials etc) because its owners had a love of racing as a sport - how naive. Is nothing sacred

I don't use them unless it's an emergency but I won't be using them at all now.

Betting unfortunately exists because it's human nature to want to make some money without doing any actual work. It's 'easy' money. While the mediums exist that satisfies that need, then advantage will be taken of the majority who sign up.

Songsheet,
i'm sure you mean this in a general sense of people who spend their afternoons in a bookies, but you would be wrong in thinking everyone views betting as easy money. I know quite a few people on this forum who view it as anything but, and have spent hours compiling speed ratings, sectionals and various other pieces of analysis/form research, so i do think any money earned by those people in this sense is usually very well-deserved.

Pretty sure Songsheet knows that Hamm. It's rather the hope of easy money that draws many to the bookies and the hope of winning it back that keeps them there.

Songsheet,
i'm sure you mean this in a general sense of people who spend their afternoons in a bookies, but you would be wrong in thinking everyone views betting as easy money. I know quite a few people on this forum who view it as anything but, and have spent hours compiling speed ratings, sectionals and various other pieces of analysis/form research, so i do think any money earned by those people in this sense is usually very well-deserved.

Yeeees, to a certain extent Sheikh has my intepretation right and yes, I do know that many on here do spend an extraordinary amount of effort and brainpower trying to beat the bookies (for which you have my undying respect) and hold down proper jobs too but it still isn't exactly hard graft for the rest, is it ? It's one step up from lotteries or on line poker - physically not taxing and purely luck based.

It's the strict Protestant Work Ethic ingrained in me !!

Yeeees, to a certain extent Sheikh has my intepretation right and yes, I do know that many on here do spend an extraordinary amount of effort and brainpower trying to beat the bookies (for which you have my undying respect) and hold down proper jobs too but it still isn't exactly hard graft for the rest, is it ? It's one step up from lotteries or on line poker - physically not taxing and purely luck based.

It's the strict Protestant Work Ethic ingrained in me !!

Feckin Prods :blink: ;)

There are plenty who would like the opportunity to work for themselves outdoors too ....even on pissy shitty cold days, I suppose ideally we'd all like Spring and Summer outside and the other six months in doors !!

Back