Novice Chasers 2011-12

If you want to compare Al Ferof to a Nicholls Arkle horse, Noland is better having won his supreme in identical fashion. Better to judge him on his own merits though I think.

And key thing is that this horse was always expected to be a chaser with top hurdle wins being a bonus. I think with novices you just get a feeling quickly away as to whetehr they simply look the part. Whether they have taken to the fences with confidence. This one surely did and is a massive prospect I feel

Although Al Ferof jumped with enthusiasm I wouldn’t call his jumping text book. He skews a fair bit and seems to fling himself about. Highly talented and a facile winner, but under pressure I’m not overly confident about his jumping.

I use ante-post betting to construct a portfolio to defend downside. This doesn’t stop me taking advantage of race day specials to tweak positions for enhanced upside though (money back on losing bets if the favourite obliges is usually too good to miss, although seldom offered). But you cannot be sure what the bookmakers will be offering come the day. While I can see what you’re saying ante post is far from dead as far as I’m concerned.

Fair enough Steve. It's another one of those where you are best to do what works for you, rather than what works for someone else. Cheltenham ante-post for me, can't remember the last time I had a good winning bet.

I realise I must be the only one who was a little bit disappointed with him. Not with the ease of victory , but like I say his jumping isn’t the safest set up I’ve seen.

Former Cheltenham bumper hero Dunguib looks set to switch to fences when he returns from a long-term leg injury next season.

Trainer Philip Fenton has said that the 2009 Cheltenham Festival winner is on the comeback trail and has pleased with his progress to date.

The eight-year-old, who has not raced since finishing eighth to Hurricane Fly in the Champion Hurdle at Cheltenham in March, is sidelined with heat in a tendon.

“He’s on the horse-walker every day for 40 minutes following his programme. It’s so far, so good,” said Fenton.

“He’s made great progress over the last couple of months and he’s not going to be trained this season. It will July 1 before he comes back into training next year. He had heat in a tendon so we had to stop with him.

“We are going to try to jump fences with him when he comes back and we’ll see how that goes.”

Saw your post on his price, he was against the owners second string and an over the top hurdler. His price was probably just about right.

Gigginstown have some very nice chasers. Me thinks Mr O'Leary likes Gold cup horses - First Lieutenant, Last Installment, QDLR and the injured Weapons Amnesty

Days Hotel probably didn't beat much today but was very impressive in doing it and jumped seriously well! Fine big honest looking horse. Another addition to an embarrassment of riches in the novice chase division. Looking forward to seeing him again at Christmas probably.

Jumps well like all Henry's do

Winning trainer Henry De Bromhead said afterwards: "They went a really good gallop he jumped well and stayed at it well.

"He is improving all the time and I'd say that ground is important to him. He was only getting going after the last so I'd say he could go further.

"He has every right to go for the 2m 1f Racing Post Novice Chase at Leopardstown after Christmas now.

Wouldn't like to be backing him for Cheltenham.A friend of mine used to own the dam -remember going to see her race in a point to point about 20 years ago.

Cue Card will bid to put his Cheltenham setback behind him in the Fuller's London Pride Novices' Chase at Newbury on Friday.

The likes of Grands Crus and Bob's Worth are also entered.

Last edited:
Some race if those three run. I've been waiting to see Bobs Worth over fences.

I do like Grands Crus though.

Really? Well, I'd factor that in of course but I do like experience when it comes to novices and I was pretty pleased watching Grands Crus at Cheltenham.

Grands Crus would be hard to criticise.

I haven't given up on Cue Card. He hit a couple in a row when blundering. I would think he's better than that.

Last edited:
Just about to post the same... rather than the 2½ miler on Friday. He doesn't appear to have too much to beat tomorrow (at least in terms of numbers), but he has to give weight all round.

Last edited:
That at the first Chepstow meeting CL?

Excited to see Back In Focus run in the Staying Novice races over in Ireland :)

Irish - Quote from Wylie about Back in Focus: "Back In Focus has been doing some strong cantering with Willie and hopefully he'll run before too long."

So we should see him out soon.

Back