Novice Chasers 2011-12

You would need to be on the Davy Russell card to have a bet on this at this stage with Giggenstown holding all the aces. I think granger is right that First Lieutenant will not run. Last Instalment is not a horse I would want to take on. He will mop up everything on soft ground.

Drinmore – 2/1 First Lieutenant, 5/2 Bog Warrior, 5/2 Last Instalment, 7/1 Gift Of Dgab, 8/1 Shinrock Paddy, 8/1 Alpha Ridge, 10/1 Rivage D'Or, 50/1 Imperial Shabra

Shinrock could be interesting. Surely the best of those over hurdles and I wouldn't mind his first run against a decent horse. He will love this test.

Agree with SC that it's impossible to have a bet until you know the running plans of the Gigginstown mob - can't see them running all three at the head of the market though I was a big fan of Last Instalment from his bumper run and with any cut in the ground he'll be very tough to beat here.

Boys - you're beginning to spell 'intalment' correctly, unlike his name. It's one of those annoying things, like BIG BUCK'S, which makes no sense with the apostrophe as it's possessive of nothing. INSTALLMENT with two l's, I'm afraid. Or, Im a'fraid.

On the Racing Post they say his name is Last Instalment.

Am I missing something, is there an error?

Boys - you're beginning to spell 'intalment' correctly, unlike his name. It's one of those annoying things, like BIG BUCK'S, which makes no sense with the apostrophe as it's possessive of nothing. INSTALLMENT with two l's, I'm afraid. Or, Im a'fraid.

I had been wondering why spellchecker kept correcting my spelling of it!

He was entered in the Coral Cup and Vincent O'Brien last season, but didn't run.

He is a JP-owned ex-French hurdler. I think he won a fair few deceent Auteuil hurdle races. Not sure why he didn't run last year. He is the apple of Nicky's eye.

He won both starts in juvenile hurdles at Auteuil in 2009.

He cuffed Notus De la Tour nearly 20L in the first of them, and followed-up with another win the week after the International Jumps Meeting (was a strong entry in the Cambeceres that year).

JP bought him after that second win, but he presumably met with a setback as he hasn't seen the track since.

...an interesting prospect. Easy winner of debut. In his subsequent race he was actually headed before showing good resolve to get back up.

Last edited:
The Post today suggests we are entering a "golden age" for novice chasing. Highlights six future stars in: Al Ferof, Bob's Worth, Cue Card, Grands Crus, Menorah and Peddler's Cross... not exactly dark horses I'd agree, but all at the beginning of better things over jumps perhaps.

Nice performance from Walkon today. He was getting weight but he did it nicely. Looks like they're keeping him at 2½ miles for now, with a possible step up in trip later.

Back