Novice Chasers 2011-12

From the RP site:

TRAINER Colin Tizzard on Sunday leapt to the defence of his son Joe after he came in for criticism for the ride he gave Cue Cardat Newbury on Friday.

The winner of the Champion Bumper at the Cheltenham Festival in 2010 was sent off the 2-1 second favourite for his third start over fences but was beaten a short head by favourite Bobs Worth having been caught in the final stride.
The five-year-old had made all the running up to that point and despite blundering four out he moved four clear of the winner of last season's Albert Bartlett Novices' Hurdle who was having a first start over fences.

The trainer said: "There has been a lot of talk that he should have won and could have won. For me Joe got him jumping beautifully and two out he looked like he was going to pull away and win by five.

"We all watched it and thought he was going to win but he got nabbed by a very good horse who he was trying to give 7lb to."

Tizzard has yet to decide where Cue Card, a general 12-1 chance for the Irish Independent Arkle Chase, is likely to go next.

He added: "He has run twice in a fortnight now and we have taken on Bobs Worth and Grands Crus. There are no definite plans at the minute. He could run somewhere over Christmas and we could go big or we could go small."

I have to leap into the defence of Joe Tizzard here.

The horse found a turn of gear that put a little bit of distance between him and Bobs Worth and sufice to say the race was over but he was beaten by the tougher horse on the day, Barry has given Bobs Worth pretty much a mirror image ride but his horse was stronger towards the line and the best horse won on the day.

Over these sorts of trips there is no unlucky loser, the final furlongs will find out even the most talented horses and rob them if their not willing to fight for the win! you're only seconds away from disaster.

Last edited:
I think thats fair

And its not as if they know exactly how the horse is going to react at this stage of his career. They should have a rough idea of course but if this happened after 20 chases then maybe fair enough, but its still fact finding to a large extent

Flemenstar routes the field at Navan. Bog Warrior could be very useful

My initial thought until you look at the opposition. O'Connells Pike, who he beat the last day, jumped terribly today, and Cottrelsbooley needed reminders just to jump off. Nearest the Pin needs better ground so it was left to the win less High Desert to chase him home. On the positive side, he jumped well but he was fully expected to win today, as market confidence suggested.

Flemenstar put in a superb round of jumping today - Navan is a notorious test of jumping as they build them like stone walls there. He was straight, lightening quick and very accurate - a similar performance to Days Hotel last week albeit in a much weaker race. Both are ones to stay on the right side of. Caseys know a good one when they have one.

...very taken with Flemenstar. Did everything easily. Clearly set for better things... didn't see the Bog Warrior race so not sure if he's improved from that.

Last edited:
...very taken with Flemenstar. Did everything easily. Clearly set for better things... didn't see the Bog Warrior race so not sure if he's improved from that.
I agree with Cantoris; he had a nice school round, but the third and fourth were very disappointing. Shame, as I though Cottrelsbooley would make a decent chaser, but he looked thoroughly mulish.

They are making a huge mistake in not taking in a decent novice race or 2. Waddling around a gaff track could not be more difficult than an Arkle, and you do need experience running at pace against decent horses, no matter how good a hurdler you are.

Agreed - you'd really like to see him in a decent race before you get involved at the 7/2 etc!

They are making a huge mistake in not taking in a decent novice race or 2. Waddling around a gaff track could not be more difficult than an Arkle, and you do need experience running at pace against decent horses, no matter how good a hurdler you are.

Didn't hurt Sizing Europe...... similar scenario here...you dont want to get bogged dwn in hard races in big fields with young horses like this. SE has an arkle and CC to prove that point.

(1:20) 312C Bar One Racing Drinmore Nov S'chase
(Grade 1) €48,750.00 ( 2m 4f - 4yo+ )[MAX 16]
FIRST FORFEIT: 29-NOV-11
SUPPLEMENTARY ENTRY: 29-NOV-11
NHFrm
2-432 1 Alpha Ridge(135) (PNolan) - . ............ 11,10
1f11 2 Bog Warrior (AJMartin) - . ................. 11,10
89313 3 Cross Appeal(121) (NMeade) - . ........ 11,10
53213 4 Donnas Palm (NMeade) - . ................ 11,10
13121 5 First Lieutenant (MFMorris) - . .......... 11,10
-7f32 6 Gates Of Rome(127) (CAMurphy) - . .. 11,10
12501 7 Gift Of Dgab (AJMartin) - . ................. 11,10
37547 8 Imperial Shabra(116) (POBrady) - . ... 11,10
13p11 9 Last Instalment (PFenton) - . ............ 11,10
69112 10 Lucky William(135) (TCooper) - . ....... 11,10
04231 11 Rivage D'Or (FR)(130) (DTHughes) -
. .................................... 11,10
-1552 12 Shinrock Paddy (PNolan) - . ............. 11,10
1-11 13 Sir Des Champs (FR) (WPMullins) -
. .................................... 11,10
10223 14 Stonemaster(119) (DTHughes) - . ...... 11,10
-3322 15 The Engineer (MrsJHarrington) - . ..... 11,10
00025 16 Whodoyouthink (OMcKiernan) - . ..... 11,1

Last Installment!

That is a future champion in the making, him and Bog Warrior will be fighting it out for years.

I honesty think Last Installment is the next big thing.

Entries for the Henry VIII on Saturday include Al Ferof and Sprinter Sacre. How likely is it they'll both run?

Thanks, Grasshopper. He's another I'm looking forward to seeing. In fact I mixed him up with Spirit Son earlier in this thread.

I backed Sprinter Sacre for the Arkle earlier this year, but have taken out insurance with the 5/1 at Ladbrokes on Peddler's Cross this morning.

Drinmore – 2/1 First Lieutenant, 5/2 Bog Warrior, 5/2 Last Instalment, 7/1 Gift Of Dgab, 8/1 Shinrock Paddy, 8/1 Alpha Ridge, 10/1 Rivage D'Or, 50/1 Imperial Shabra

Back