Novice Chasers 2011-12

These people encouraging a run in the QM - do they not realise that the Arkle is almost as prestigious a prize? There's a massive difference in kudos between winning the Gold Cup and the RSA that just isn't there for the two milers.

Very good point. I'd go as far to say the Arkle is my favourite race

He's not come along freakishly early like Long Run though. I'd much prefer this sort of career than Bog Warrior's. That horse is 8 already.

Why is invictus still double Bobs worths price? Three pounds doesnt explain it and the reasons given for invictus's so so last run seem valid now. Bobs worth is too easily left flat footed and whilst the hill may help at the festival, the impression today was clearly that the better horse took the race.

Months of hype about the Bobs Worth probably Clivex, the market in a state of shock etc.

I'd be surprised if Invictus is bigger than an 8/1 chance with any bookie by noon tomorrow myself.

Last edited:
Complete the sentence

Sprinter Sacre is the most exciting novice chaser since .......

At this stage of his career he's as good as some of the best I've seen at the same stage. He's got everything going for him. You'd have to be hopeful that he can match the best in his division in time. Hugely exciting.

Did he ride that horse over fences? And even if he did it would have been no more than two or three years after Moscow retired surely.

There's a touch of the Frankels about him, brilliant and a touch raw.

There is more than a touch of Frankel about him. He has the same brilliance but the same slight aura of vulnerability. I think that is what makes Sprinter Sacre, and Frankel, so exciting. There is always the very slight chance in the back of your mind that things might go wrong. Terrific to watch.

I have opposed him for reasons previously stated, and remain of the belief that Peddlers Cross, if 100%, can give him something to think about at Cheltenham. Can he beat him? It will be a big ask. I feel sorry for the poor horse. He's had to give best to Hurricane Fly in a Champion Hurdle with the rest well beat, and it might be the same story in the Arkle this year.

Cannot wait for the race because it will be a race for the ages when it finally gets here. The Gold Cup will be an anti-climax by comparison. :lol:

Bobs Worth is slow and a bad jumper. The attritional test of the RSA might see him to better effect but you would have to be disappointed if he was winning it. Grands Crus looks in a different league. I don't think Bobs Worth should be the price he is. The 7/1 with Coral looks tight but about right, the rest that are shorter look very poor value.

Grands Crus (9/4) , Bobs Worth (7) , First Lieutenant (8) , Join Together (10) , Invictus (12) , Sir Des Champs (12) , Bog Warrior (20) , Silviniaco Conti (25) , Lambro (28) ,

Last Installment is a huge loss for the race. Davy is supposed to have said that Bog Warrior won't run in the Arkle at a preview night last week. Don't know if that means RSA or skipping Cheltenham.

If he runs the 20 is MASSIVE

I fancy First Lieutenant rather like his sadly injured stablemate Weapons Amnesty he has just about got his chasing ability together. GC's form was not helped by BW and SC today and Tom Scudamore is always a negative for me .

Last edited:
If Bog warrior needs it very soft, as seems to be indicated by connections and the races hes competed in, the 20/1 will almost certainly be nowhere long enough

Al Ferof owner John Hales "We are all set for the Arkle,it was a brilliant performance by sprinter sacre on a flat track but we did him last year up the hill and our horse is stronger now as well......we are looking forward to it"

Fighting talk.

Why is invictus still double Bobs worths price? Three pounds doesnt explain it and the reasons given for invictus's so so last run seem valid now. Bobs worth is too easily left flat footed and whilst the hill may help at the festival, the impression today was clearly that the better horse took the race.

the reason invictus is double the price is because the bookies aint daft, they know BOBS WORTH is being trained specifically towards the RSA, they were only schooling it on saturday, even GERAGHTY said prior to thr race that all roads lead to cheltenham and it was not given a hard race.

HENDERSON also said that if you had seen BOBS WORTH 3 weeks ago you would have thought he was done for the season, and he was delighted with the run.

Whats bad though that HENDERSON never told the public about BOBS WORTH poor build up prior to saturdays race. leaving alot of poor souls doing their dough on a non tryer in a way.

Anyway bring on the GRAND CRUS and watch BOBS fly by :mad:

Although Grand Crus has the strongest winning chance, the RSA looks a hot little race. I could see any one of Grand Crus, First Lieutenant, Join Together, Invictus and maybe even Bobs Worth winning.

If they'd stuck to the Jewson with Invictus I'd be so keen but the RSA is a bloody hot race. I don't blame them but from a punting perspective he would have hacked up in the Jewson. He obviously stays 3M so good luck to them for trying their luck.

It's a no bet race for me really, might do a forecast or two on the day and that would be it.

Last edited:
Grands Crus looks a lump job now. I know a lot on here treat stats like fairy rings but that Feltham stat is very strong for whatever reason.

Join Together starting to become the dark horse. Being completely overlooked. Having said that, while I'm a fan of the horse, he's an out and out stayer and may lack the pace at the business end of the race. I'll be having a nice place bet on him on the day.

Back