Novice Chasers 2011-12

I'm slightly concerned about Colin Tizzard's race planning given he seems unaware if there may or may not be a valuable novice chase for the best horse he's ever trained before the open meeting. I thought all top trainers learnt the programme book by heart?

Four Commanders ran on well from mid division in the last at Limerick yesterday - may be one to keep on the right side of for the rest of the year. Probably wont be aimed too high with a decent handicap mark in mind for later in the year. Looks a bit on the slow side but jumped really well.

I spotted him too. Won a maiden hurdle from the front last season. Held up on Sunday as Russell was on the leading Gigginstown horse. He jumped well was given a sympathetic ride until Russell's fell at which point his jock got a little more animated. Read into that what you want but I do not expect them to handicap him.

Largely forgivable errors for a second-time-out novice in my view, Granger, though I wont argue that he'll want to improve in that regard. What was of more import was the way he came back at De Valira, I reckon.

He's shown plenty of steel, and I always like to see that in a potential Sun Alliance horse. He's also getting some experience, and seems likely to go to the Durkan (presumably a target?) with a lot more fences under his belt than most of the competition. He's still of plenty of interest, imo.

I wouldn't be writing him off, far from. He has a serious engine and the plan is to get plenty of racing into him. I'd say we will see him out again within 3 weeks

Drinmore it is Grassy - imagine a few will have caught him up in that regard by then though.

Was very impressed by On The Way Out's fencing the other day and he won very easily - bit to find with a few going over fences but fast and fluent none the less.

Anyone know when Back In Focus is likely to be seen out?

It was indeed, his jumping was nice and economical. But did he win despite the conditions or because of them? All his best form is on testing ground.

I will be following the horse but that would be my concern too. My thoughts against that would be that he may have needed a break towards the end of last season. Fenton has also publicly stated that his horses were sick then also. If he acted on decent ground he could put it up to them.

You'd have to say at this stage that Last Installment thrives in heavy going. The bumper he won was run in unbelievably testing conditions leading to horses being strung out like the washing. If a horse revels that well in soft, he can't surely be equally as effective on good decent ground. Nice horse all the same, I wouldn't mind a leg of him!

I thought Notus De La Tour was very impressive at Carlisle today and may prove better suited left handed - His time was over 2secs faster than the Intermediate Chase and they didn't hang around in that race, also he carried 9lb more than the winner of that race.

Back