Novice Chasers 2011-12

Peddlers out to 5/1 with Hills for the Jewson.....whaassup??

Just part of their 'best horses, best prices' promotion like the 5/4 on Hurricane Fly and 6/1 Oscar Whiskey previously. Will be back down to 5/2 or 3/1 soon. Be aware they are NOT NRNB on the race though unlike most other firms and given recent comments this would concern me.

Last edited:
Just part of their 'best horses, best prices' promotion like the 5/4 on Hurricane Fly and 6/1 Oscar Whiskey previously. Will be back down to 5/2 or 3/1 soon. Be aware they are NOT NRNB on the race though unlike most other firms and given recent comments this would concern me.

I wouldn't say they they were knocked down in the rush...

It appears Mullins still hasn't decided between RSA or Jewson for Sir Des Champs. He's been supported for the RSA, but with First Lieutenant going for the RSA connections may opt for the Jewson.

It would still be better than last year though wouldn't it . . . ?

Sir Des Champs has got to run in this now. I can't believe Mullins will settle for the Grade 2 Jewson.

It would still be better than last year though wouldn't it . . . ?

Sir Des Champs has got to run in this now. I can't believe Mullins will settle for the Grade 2 Jewson.

It seems certain that Gigginstown will be represented by First Lieutenant in the RSA and although they are not averse to running two in a race (they currently have four in it), it may be out of Mullins hands where Sir Des Champs goes, so I wouldn’t rule the Jewson out.

Last edited:
I've changed my mind about First Lieutenant. I was gonna back him in the Fort Leney but Last Instalment struck me in the paddock as the better chasing type. At the Boylesports preview earlier in the week Davy Russell said they ran the horse in that race on a retrieval mission after he pulled up at Fairyhouse earlier in the month (Davy also said he hated that track). He likes good ground and last year's Neptune has worked out much better than the Albert Bartlett has. Form suggests he should be shorter than Bob's Worth.

Wouldn't Grands Crus going for the RSA dictate that Willie has to go Jewson with Sir Des Champs?

Last edited:
First liutenant doesnt jump well enough for me. Something will run a big race however and at a certain price he would hold some interest

Fair point. He just appeals at the price a lot more than the other market leaders. I'd actually like to see For Non Stop in the race. I think he'd stay and he's classier than the Nicholls horse. With Sir Des Champs and Peddlers in it I think the Jewson looks a hotter contest now. I reckon Nick is seething. Call the Police is a big price also.

Last edited:
Not as seething as me. I backed him a while ago at 12/1 and thought he was certain to go close, then McCain reroutes the machine that is Peddlers Cross.

I still think he has a chance. Thursday is when I'm going and I'll back him on the day. PC is cover bet material but I think SDC is a tad overrated. Hidden Cyclone wasn't near his best when they met.

Fair enough. I backed him e/w so should still get something back, and have backed Peddlers since to try and make up my losses from him on the Arkle, so should do okay unless Sir Des Champs trumps the pair of them.

I reckon Knockfierna would have beaten Sir Des Champs if she hadn't run out. First lieutenant is also a terrible price; his jumping isn't good enough. Couldn't back either.

Last edited:
I would be happy enough with First Lieutenant's jumping myself. He actually put in an excellent round of jumping at Leopardstown, only to make his only real mistake at the worst possible time as the two in front were quickening off what looked a pretty steady pace.

He ticks a lot of the boxes for me. I think Grand Crus sets a very high standard though.

I thought Flemenstar should have been odds on today but looking at the result did Bog Warrior fall?

Back