Novice Chasers 2011-12

He did it with a huge amount in the tank and the course record wouldn't take much breaking at Newbury over that distance given how rare good ground is (that's a bit of a guess but it's a fixture with a history of abandonments)

I would tend to agree but usually on the basis of them having had a hard race. Sprinter Sacre had anything but that at Newbury, indeed he never appeared to come out of second gear.

There is a theory that one should avoid horses that break course records on their next race unless they have enough recovery time. Any opinions ?

If you're not backing him on that basis you're in serious trouble... it was no more than a walk in the park.

Last edited:
Out of interest has anyone seen a price for Sprinter Sacre for the 2013 Queen Mother? I see he is 12/1 with Boyles for the Gold Cup.

He's bottled it for sure but the presence of the horse upgrades the Thursday significantly. The Jewson looks really hot now.

He's bottled it for sure but the presence of the horse upgrades the Thursday significantly. The Jewson looks really hot now.

I also used the "bottled" word.

I can't actually believe they're swerving Sprinter Sacre. The Jewson is, in comparison, a nothing event when set against the Arkle.

Boylesports Money back if your horse finishes 2nd in any of the first 4 races. 7/2 Al Ferof looks decent, max €200

I am an antepost backer at 9/1 and I have no regrets at all. The horse jumped well on his first two starts and was immediately into 3/1 favourite for the Arkle. We (or at least I do) know that he has the engine to win an Arkle, we know he loves the track, and we know that 2m round Cheltenham is not a problem for him. Obviously things have not gone to plan since then but you accept these risks when you place an antepost bet.

I am disappointed that he doesn't run, not so much for the money I've lost, but because it detracts enormously from the spectacle of the race. This development moves the race from one of my most looked forward to of the whole weak to middle of the road in terms of anticipation. I fully expect Sprinter Sacre to win well now, he might have done anyway, but it isn't the race it promised to be, that's for sure.

However, I wholeheartedly disagree with the argument that backing him antepost was a mistake. I have lost my money but if I could back a horse with his chance in the Arkle every year at 9/1 then I would be pretty damn confident that I would be ahead in the long run.

That is neither here nor there though because all I feel is a massive sense of disappointment and anti-climax.

Same here. I'm pretty much nailed on to collect with the position I have on SS and the mbs option I took on Al Ferof but I feel a bit deflated. Cheltenham isn't just the betting, it's about having the best races of the year on a given four days in March. McCain has done the Festival no favours with his bottle job here.

Exactly. The money doesn't bother me at all. I think it was a good bet and if you rewound the clocks I'd do it again, but maybe not be so proud next time! Oh how close I was to having a little on Sprinter Sacre at 5/1 pre Kempton when I thought PC might be vulnerable. Anyway I didn't, but none of that matters.

The Arkle promised to be an almighty clash but it won't be the same now.

I have backed PC for the Arkle before Christmas but had written off the dough as soon as I saw SS at Kempton. Hope floated after issues were found with PC and before the Game Spirit when reports circulated of PC roaring up the gallops again. None of this mattered after the Game Spirit - there was ever only going to be one Arkle winner.
With Sir des Champs now confirmed for the RSA it's time to go deep on PC for this. We could now see three outstanding Novice Chase performances if Pipe doesnt act the fuckwit and runs GC in the RSA.

I am an antepost backer at 9/1 and I have no regrets at all. The horse jumped well on his first two starts and was immediately into 3/1 favourite for the Arkle. We (or at least I do) know that he has the engine to win an Arkle, we know he loves the track, and we know that 2m round Cheltenham is not a problem for him. Obviously things have not gone to plan since then but you accept these risks when you place an antepost bet.

I am disappointed that he doesn't run, not so much for the money I've lost, but because it detracts enormously from the spectacle of the race. This development moves the race from one of my most looked forward to of the whole weak to middle of the road in terms of anticipation. I fully expect Sprinter Sacre to win well now, he might have done anyway, but it isn't the race it promised to be, that's for sure.

However, I wholeheartedly disagree with the argument that backing him antepost was a mistake. I have lost my money but if I could back a horse with his chance in the Arkle every year at 9/1 then I would be pretty damn confident that I would be ahead in the long run.

That is neither here nor there though because all I feel is a massive sense of disappointment and anti-climax.

Peddlers Cross hadn't the speed to win a Champion Hurdle, much less the speed to win an Arkle, and I'd bet good money he won't be running in any 2m race at any future festival.
Learn from it, and move on.

Peddlers Cross hadn't the speed to win a Champion Hurdle, much less the speed to win an Arkle, and I'd bet good money he won't be running in any 2m race at any future festival.
Learn from it, and move on.

A winner is a winner at the festival...it attracts new owners and ups the profile...no matter what race

Don't blame Donald McCain one bit he'd have to be mad to run in the Arkle after the hammering Sprinter Sacre gave him.

I doubt if Nicky Hederson cares one way or the other but Paul Nichols will be delighted with this news.

Al Ferof is slow to pick up when pace changes and without Peddler's Cross in the race there should be less pressure applied up front and that surely increases his chances of keeping tabs on them?

I can't see Sprinter Sacre losing but if PC had run I intended place laying Al Ferof but I wouldn't do so now.

Last edited:

Agree 100%. Can't believe how this horse is being written off already, I still believe he can be a future Gold Cup contender. Sprinter Sacre looks truely spectacular but I think all racefans want to see him be given a race as opposed to a canter round :(

Back