Novice Chasers 2012-13

Oscars Well hasn't been the same horse since the last flight mistake. Not good enough to win any championship race at the festival. Overturn the only value in the Arkle market. Could be a small field again like last year.

Its roughly 11 weeks to the Arkle. I took the 9/4 Simonsig last night. The 2/1 still there has lots of juice in it. He only needs to stay sound to be seriously short on the day.

4th and 6th in 2 runs thus far.

Bit harsh. His sixth reads better than the result with his mishap at the last in the Neptune and his fourth was in a Champion Hurdle. If he runs in the Jewson I'll have a double figure price and there's mileage in it imo.

Bit harsh. His sixth reads better than the result with his mishap at the last in the Neptune and his fourth was in a Champion Hurdle. If he runs in the Jewson I'll have a double figure price and there's mileage in it imo.

He was 6th in a poor Champion.

I wouldn't fault Dynaste's run today at all. He produced a great turn of foot in very difficult conditions, his jumping was generally sound, and spectacular at the fourth last.

Another interpretation of Oscar Wells' form is that he's simply a two and a half miler - his 4th at the Festival came when he was running a big race over that distance. Wasn't mad on some of his jumping today though. As for Arvika - don't forget Mullins' comments here. http://www.irishracing.com/result?prn=Punchestown&prc=071&prd=201004231840 - he was very taking that day and looked a better horse for better ground. If he gets into a good rhythm around Cheltenham then he'll give a good account of himself. My initial reaction to today was to be extremely underwhelmed but this would give me hope.

If Arvika gets that ground come march,which is probable, it could be some sight if he makes the running and mixes it with overturn,could set it up for simonsig.I'm still in the overturn camp at the current prices,each way bet to nothing.simonsig ranging from 6/4-2/1,will be shorter when it goes in today.I'm prepared to take him on so short.

Last edited:
SE was injured, OW wasn't. He is yet to be placed at Cheltenham and looked slow and ponderous yesterday. Good luck backing horses like this.

I agree that Overturn will shorten from 7/1 but would swap my 9/4 Simonsig for nothing.

Almost as good as Sprinter Sacre last year. Jumped to the left at times. Race over halfway round.

I think it's going to take a massive performance or a massive mistake to beat him.From what we have seen so far only overturn has the jumping tools beat this fella,that may not be enough.

Last edited:
I think it's going to take a massive performance or a massive mistake to beat him.From what we have seen so far only overturn has the jumping tools beat this fella,that may not be enough.

it will be some war of attrition up front when the two of them meet..they could cut each others throats especially at a stiff track like Cheltenham

it will be interesting to compare the sectionals of this race and the DO later

Last edited:
Today's 3 mile chasers at Leopard didn't strike me as the most exciting batch. Do Gigi have something that hasn't run over Xmas?

Boston Bob biggest name I can think off that had Christmas off

They certainly had one who didn't jump. Dedigout was awful after his initial mistake and needs a confidence boost. Wasn't impressed by Back in Focus.

BIF needs it very soft. Welsh national maybe

Boston Bob will have to be very good as the English novices seem good on paper

Aupcharlie could be interesting on better ground when downed in trip

Back