Novice Chasers 2012-13

Dynaste looks head and shoulders above at the moment. However, the likes of Time For Rupert and Grands Crus looked pretty solid at this stage of the season only to bomb out at the Festival which is pretty much what Dynaste did at last years Festival. Also far from certain that Dynaste will go RSA rather than Jewson.

Back In Focus showed a very determined attitude but cutting him for the RSA is seemingly a response to the perceived lack of opposition to Dynaste. On a quicker surface surely Boston Bob will run in the RSA and Back In Focus in the National Hunt Chase.

Harry Topper probably the most promising of the others but unless Bailey has a rethink he is going to miss the Festival.

I read earlier in the season that the owners had accepted that they were highly unlikely to get suitable ground for BIF at Cheltenham and were willing to bypass

I would be keen to take Dynaste on, there should be some savage ew bets but I can't see any. Anyone?

Who will Nicholls and Henderson have?

Pricewise had a positive word to say on Rocky Creek for Nicholls as a possible RSA horse after his win the last day at Doncaster. Personally I know nothing about the horse so couldn't comment.

Jim McGrath said on C4 today that Timeform have Simonsig rated 6lb ahead of SS at this stage of season.
"He(Simonsig) would be a threat over ANY distance on ANY track on ANY ground to ANY horse" N Mordin.
Strong stuff indeed.

No he wouldn't. On ratings, which is what Timeform do, he is clearly ahead of where Sprinter Sacre was at this time last year, no matter what handicapping basis you use. McGrath never said, unless I am mistaken, that Simonsig is the better horse or will have the better rating at the end of the season, he is just calling it on a basic comparitive basis. Everyone gets too excited too quickly. :cool:

Western Leader won the beginners chase at Fairyhouse today. It is a shame that injury prevented him from becoming the horse he promised in his novice hurdle days.

Almost as good as Sprinter Sacre last year. Jumped to the left at times. Race over halfway round.
Very similar in part but with one huge difference Sprinter Sacre was asked to race when Peddlers Cross came up to his quarters and as soon as the temp increased his jumping improved for it.

I certainly wouldn't be as confident Simonsig will hold it together when he is asked to go all out. He missed out a couple in the Neptune and was far from brilliant at Kelso.

Such a pity Cotton Mill run out in the Neptune as he wasn't stopping and would have made him pull out more than he had to.

He seems to be anointed, at Aintree Colour Squadron was coming to challenge him and fell and his only other rival hit the last so hard he almost did the same.

He 's obviously very good but he's got a long long way to go before hecan put any claims on Sprinter Sacre's status as top dog at Seven Barrows.

tbh I thing he's bad value at even money for the Arkle I'd rather take the 8/1 ew about Overturn and accept I'd only be getting 4/6 about my investment if Simonsig wins and Overturn is only placed

I have far more confidence in Overturn's jumping. His jumping errors in over 20 races you could count on one hand. I think the last time he made a significant error was about 3 years ago at Ayr when he missed out the 3rd last.

He has a great eye for jumping and seems to meet every obstacle he jumps absolutely on the button.

At the end of the day they are 2 very fast horses and it could come down to which horse is the better jumper and for me that may well be Overturn.

Last edited:
I'd go along with every bit of that fist,looks the proverbial good thing but something niggling me about him.ive gone Arvika and more so overturn against him at the odds.at 4/5 he's become unbackable imo.Wonder what the odds of NJH having two superstars in two years are?Im happy to take he chance overturn and to an extent Arvika can pressurise his jumping and show him more of a Big Bucks over fences than Sprinter.

Last edited:
Wonder what the odds of NJH having two superstars in two years are?

I haven't made up my mind about Simonsig, but stable stars quite often come along in two and threes.

Kauto Star and Denman lived next door to each other, as did Arkle and Flyingbolt. Good horses bring each other along on the gallops which is why, I think, every season on the flat there seems to be some small trainer comes to prominence with not just one but several good juveniles.

I haven't made up my mind about Simonsig, but stable stars quite often come along in two and threes.

Kauto Star and Denman lived next door to each other, as did Arkle and flying bolt

Stable osmosis!

Does anyone know when overturn is out again?Id really like to see him in a competitive affair next time and not dictating,not too many suitable occasions left.

Are there any big names left who haven't run in a novice chase yet or is this our lot?
I would say we've crossed the time barrier and what we have is what we got. ie if Donald McCain decided that Cinders And Ashes wasn't good enough to stay hurdling he'd be hard pushed to get a couple of chases into him before Cheltenham.......I am very wary of any horse that goes chasing late in the season as most of them go looking for a bit of experience with no intention of winning until next season.

I would say we've crossed the time barrier and what we have is what we got. ie if Donald McCain decided that Cinders And Ashes wasn't good enough to stay hurdling he'd be hard pushed to get a couple of chases into him before Cheltenham.......I am very wary of any horse that goes chasing late in the season as most of them go looking for a bit of experience with no intention of winning until next season.

Except Well Chief :)

Has anyone read any recent news on Sword Of Destiny. Has there been any mention of any Cheltenham target or is there a problem?

Splendid stuff from Overturn there - the open ditch six out was spectacular . No cakewalk for Simonsig with him in the field .

Happy with that.
I have said that I'd like to see him in a bigger field more competitive affair but thinking about it the Arkle is going to be a small field again.If Captain Conan Goes for the Jewson And the front three stay fit I reckon 5 or 6.

Back