Novice Chasers 2015/16

Lovely exercise canter from Douvan. Wouldn't be remotely interested in the 7/4 for the Arkle, but wouldn't lay it either

There was also a decent chase at Exeter and where first two (Onenightinvienna & Fletchers Flyer) both jumped impeccably, pulled miles clear & will make their mark in top end races. They're talking about the NH Chase for the winner and I could see him going well in that

Vaniteux starts his novice campaign at Kemp this afternoon, but am surprised Qewy is 6/1. All I hear is Ferguson can't train jumpers, but thought he did nothing wrong on his first start at Chelt and possibly may have won if jumping the last better. He'll do for me

Really taken with both Douvan and Minella Rocco who looked booked for bright futures.

While Minella Rocco finished last the two in front will be hard pushed to repeat the form should they meet again.

Can't see anything beating Douvan who will come on a ton for his run

Seems that Henderson trust in Vaniteux wasn't misplaced, at the start of the season he said any horse in top 10 hurdlers of previous season is bound to do very well over fences. Then there's Kitten Rock in that category as well so Douvan has a lot of improvement to do in order to justify his current price.

Surely Vaniteux's highest ambition is to be this season's Josses Hill to Douvan's UDS. At least 10lb between the pair over hurdles.

Vainteux was super impressive. Reminds me a lot of Sprinter Sacre in that he needed to strengthen up before he went at the chasing game. Henderson had said that anything they done as hurdlers would be a bonus, they were always chasers in the making.

Vaniteux's debut was flawless and reminded me a lot of Sprinters debut over fences at Doncaster a few years back. Some of his leaps were breathtaking and this comes at a time when chase winners are still relatively scarce for the Henderson yard. Sprinter Sacre apart in the Sholer you'd nearly have to go back to Cocktails at Dawn's chepstow win in early October to find his last chase winner. Vaniteux never missed a beat and smashed a race fit Quewy by 19L, one more than Douvan beat him by in the Supreme.

I took a bit of 16/1 ew for the Arkle prior to yesterdays race in lieu of what Mr. Henderson had been saying about the horse and the similarities I drew between what he had said about SS as a novice hurdler graduating to a novice chaser.

He'll have a lot to do to emulate the big black aero plane but even now at 10/1, on their debuts I'd much prefer Vaniteux's debut to that of any other horse involved in the Arkle antepost betting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I took a bit of 16/1 ew for the Arkle prior to yesterdays race in lieu of what Mr. Henderson had been saying about the horse and the similarities I drew between what he had said about SS as a novice hurdler graduating to a novice chaser.

I get that, and I was super impressed also. But did Nicky not say why he didn't go novice chasing last season. That's where the parallel to SS falls short.

As far as I recall I think he said he needed to grow up a bit & fill out. That he was a big baby. I'd imagine the fact that My Tent Or Yours was also out for the season meant also made it more attractive for him to remain over hurdles. They had Josses hill for novice chasing at the same time who is a massive horse but as it turns out a poor jumper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

from the RP Tour:

The big question last year was whether to go chasing or continue over hurdles. We chose the latter in the belief he would get stronger as he got older and the experience would benefit him in the long term as a chaser.He was placed in all sorts of top class 2m hurdles and had a lucrative season without winning, but now the fun begins. His schooling has been excellent and we are now coming to the moment in his career we have all been waiting for. I hope the wait will prove to be worthwhile...

As with the Hurdlers no excitements today, but tomorrow looks much better. Shaneshill goes in the maiden chase at Thurles and a tasty line up in the Grade 2 at Newbury:

[TABLE="width: 583"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Form
[/TD]
[TD]Horse
[/TD]
[TD]A
[/TD]
[TD]Trainer
[/TD]
[TD]Jockey
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]1
[/TD]
[TD]103/125-
[/TD]
[TD]Value At Risk 258
[/TD]
[TD]6
[/TD]
[TD]D Skelton
[/TD]
[TD]Harry Skelton
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2
[/TD]
[TD]12119-U
[/TD]
[TD]Beast Of Burden (IRE) 46
[/TD]
[TD]6
[/TD]
[TD]Miss R Curtis
[/TD]
[TD]P Townend
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]3
[/TD]
[TD]2495/1P
[/TD]
[TD]Twelve Roses 12
[/TD]
[TD]7
[/TD]
[TD]K C Bailey
[/TD]
[TD]D Bass
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]4
[/TD]
[TD]3/363-12
[/TD]
[TD]Un Temps Pour Tout (IRE) 12
[/TD]
[TD]6
[/TD]
[TD]D Pipe
[/TD]
[TD]T Scudamore
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]5
[/TD]
[TD]33213-1
[/TD]
[TD]Port Melon (IRE) 24
[/TD]
[TD]7
[/TD]
[TD]P F Nicholls
[/TD]
[TD]Sam Twiston-Davies
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]6
[/TD]
[TD]5/232P-1
[/TD]
[TD]Killala Quay 53
[/TD]
[TD]8
[/TD]
[TD]C E Longsdon
[/TD]
[TD]R Johnson
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]7
[/TD]
[TD]6F19-31
[/TD]
[TD]Native River (IRE) 23
[/TD]
[TD]5
[/TD]
[TD]C L Tizzard
[/TD]
[TD]Brendan Powell
[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Indeed. Those are my numbers and not racecard & the 4 previous winners (Twelve Roses, Port Melon, Killala & Native River) have penalties, so are giving weight away to the others. That will not be easy

Taken 11/4 about Beast of Burden. Don't trust the Pipe horse and unseating aside the selection jumped very nicely at Chepstow.

Back