Novice Chasers 2017/2018

Certainly oozed class, and jumped really well.......clever when he got in close, and big and bold at the ditches.........still a slight worry Chelts not his track though.

He's got about 20l to make up on Footpad and Petit Mouchoir.

If you took their placings literally but realistically BP was way too keen in the first half of the champion hurdle to last home. He weakened very quickly after 3 out and was eased down. But that was a very taking performance by BP who looks to have a bright future ahead over fences.

One thing it highlights is that last years Champion isn’t as bad as people were making it out to be. We’ve now have Brain Power, Petit Mouchoir & Sceau Royal all murder opposition like good graded horses should. Wicklow Brave won the Punchestown champion hurdle & The New One has acquitted himself very well off top weight in handicaps. Yanworth won on chase debut & would’ve won again only for slipping up last time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
In the last 4 years previous to last there has been only 3 chaser of note come from Champion Hurdles

Top Notch who more than a few said would never make a top class chaser, Vaniteux who's never quite cracked it and Ptit Zig who they gave on after a couple of disasters.

As you point out Kauto last years seems to be the exception to the rule and by some way.

Having watched them all I would put Brain Power at the top of the list because I thought he looked to me like the lights were on but no one was home last year (Had a lot to learn against top class horses)

Watching him today he really looks a different kettle of fish and it was take a good un to stop him taking all ahead of him this season IMO

Footpad looked a bit more natural to me Tanlic but not much in it. Footpad destroyed Brelade, an ultra consistent horse from last year and a horse I have a lot of time for. Brain Power was novicey at one or two but that’s to be expected. Footpad was foot perfect and made a beautiful shape over a fence, probably down to his French upbringing. Last years champion certainly working out well anyway.

Maybe you missed it but Brelade ran again 7 days after Footpad beat him and got badly beaten in a 4 horse race.

Didn't affect anything but hardly a form boost.

No but to be fair to Brelade it was his 4th race in 7 weeks and he had already run into Petit Mouchoir, and Footpad before trying to keep tabs on Woodland Opera & Tombstone. I’d be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt and suggest he could’ve done with a break. Brelade aside, Footpad put in the best round of jumping from a novice I’ve witnessed in a while.

Last edited:
Yanworth v Willoughby Court at Newbury is fascinating & reckon Yanworth looked the more natural (even allowing for the fall an that WB should be improve for the experience) so will be siding with him this afternoon

Nice performance from Willoughby Court there. Seemed to jump well although I only saw the last few fences

Agreed. There was an awful lot to like about that yesterday. Just like last year though I suspect he'll go into the Festival underestimate compared to the big names from the big stables. The JLT is looking like a potential cracker.

Alan King is fuming apparently at people writing off Yanworth.

If Jamie the plonker Moore was riding him I would agree but the genius that is Barry Geraghty who is the best presenter of ahorse at a jump since John Francome was riding.

If he won't jump for barry then he won't jump for anyone.

No doubt Frank Berry has already called Yogi in an attempt to sort it out.

You can see the class is still there but trusting him is going to be difficult.

I still say the best we have seen over fences is Brain Power

I'm starting to dislike Yanworth after yesterday, yes he made a mistake 2-3 out but jumping the last he looked to have all the chances and seemed ungenuine.. or he's not that good after all..

I'd say Footpad was the more impressive of the two on their respective chasing bows Tanlic. That said there was lot to like about both. Finians was pretty impressive as well and Tizard may well take him down the Arkle route too.

We've got some lovely novice chasers this season.

Back