Novice Hurdlers 13/14

Intent runs in ten minutes at Fakenham, was scanning some form lines a few weeks ago and have him in my notebook. Hopefully he will fulfil my expectations, maybe even go in the betting for The Triumph afterwards if he wins!

Intent runs in ten minutes at Fakenham, was scanning some form lines a few weeks ago and have him in my notebook. Hopefully he will fulfil my expectations, maybe even go in the betting for The Triumph afterwards if he wins!

Someone spiked my drink last night!

Pulled up, but looks one tailor made for a punt in a handicap hurdle when he finds his form.

Do you think we'd get more or less runners if WPM didn't have such firepower ?

In other words, are his entries frightening off the opposition, does he have so many more horses to enter or is he relatively alone in being happy to pick up these prizes both sides of the water - regardless of the conditions...

Maybe it's just my own mistaken interpretation but my thoughts are that with all the bad weather we've had, his yard have been largely responsible for keeping the racing sufficiently interesting and while there are still 10 weeks until the festival, there are only another 3 until trials day, which will offer a last chance prior to March for a number of horses. So unless the weather turns around quickly there'll be a whole host of Mullins runners heading to Cheltenham possibly much shorter than they should be given the probability of different terrain and a bunch of largely unknowns elsewhere.

It would be a brave man to stand all his runners - especially those in the lesser exposed races, i.e. the novices - but there may be some mileage in it this year.

Last edited:
Yes I read that - with his closing words a friendly dig at Mullins.

Although, it was aimed at Irish racing and Willie still felt the need to enter 4 in a raid on the Tolworth.

Albeit, he's since changed his mind but maybe only because he knows it won't go ahead ;)

It is getting ludicrous. These races were often quite poor, but now they are poor with only a few runners.

Let's look at the last 10 winners of the Slaney.

Canary Wharf, McGruder's Cross, Homer Wells, Toofarback, Kazal, Venalmar, Mikael d'Haguenet, Gagewell Flyer, Monksland, Rule the World.

Look at the last 10 winners of the Woodlands Park Novice Chase:

Takagi, I'vehadit, Lord Who, Southern Vic, Chelsea Harbour, Parsons Pistol, Oscar Looby, Quito de la Roque, Medical Card.

I am not sure what the answer is. I think these contests should be made more valuable to tempt more good horses, or downgrade them to conditions races.

They have been sh1te for a while, but now they're contested by only 1 or 2 horses.

It was a grade 2 so Willies running them with penalties to give the others a chance!

He's taking the Mikael route with Briar Hill so I'd guess he's their Neptune horse, especially after they stepped Faugheen up to 3m.

I think this horse will win the Neptune. He's not flamboyant but he looks tough and as Euro says, once he gets going not many will have the pace to stay with him.

I think he looks too slow for the Neptune and will go for the 3 miler that said I cannot see any standout horse in the Neptune, perhaps Faugheen if they can improve his jumping.

I agree with Granger, he's a bit lazy but once woken up he is not slow.

No matter what anyone says, you have to have a bit of pace to win the champion bumper.

I think he is too slow for the festival unless it is very soft ground.

I think upazo would have won today in style.

Mullins should be a bit wiser about the pecking order of his novices after tomorrow, Upazo runs in the Tolworth, Rathvinden at Warwick and Vantour at Punchestown.

Vantour has been relentlessly punted all week for the Supreme into 8/1. Looks a mental price now, but guess it could be value after tomorrow. Too short for me though

If Vantour wins and The Liquidator gets turned over because of soft ground/tight track he will still be a very backable price come March.

Goodwood Mirage (goes in the first at Kempton) cost £380k at the sales:blink:

Unbelievable what gets paid for some of these 3yr olds coming off the flat

Back