Novice Hurdlers 13/14

Usual shpeal from Mullins on Vautour, say it's very likely he'll go to the Supreme if he gets to Cheltenham fit and well.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Vautour. Beat Mr Fiftyone 12 lengths, The Tullow Tank beat him 13 so on form nothing between them. I liked the way he came back when he looked beat, won going away in the finish having been very keen most of the way round. Major player imo.

I agree
Better performance than it looked at first sight.

Good atittude and good figure today.

Willie has strong grip on this division with Vautour, Briar Hill and the machine that is Faugheen. The question is will anything get him off the bridle at Cheltenham.
Keen to see Apache Stronghold again mind.
Another potential Willie weapon is Arctic Fire, if he ever learns to settle. Speed to burn that horse.

Dies Faugheen jump well enough to win a Festival Championship race? Not convinced myself......not yet, at any rate.

His jumping would be my only slight concern hence why I would go for the Albert Bartlett, would have more time to recover from a mistake, though you could argue running over shorter at a quicker pace may keep his mind on the job. Just appears at the moment that he is looking around bored as he's had no company. Either way he's won at various trips in first gear. Looks the real deal to me.

Briar Hill will be their best novice hurdler.

Irving/Briar Hill for the Supreme/Neptune double.

I reckon Faugheen will go for the potato race.

How much does the likely opposition factor into Willie's judgement? Because of King's Palace the potato race looks harder this year than the Neptune.

His jumping would be my only slight concern hence why I would go for the Albert Bartlett, would have more time to recover from a mistake, though you could argue running over shorter at a quicker pace may keep his mind on the job. Just appears at the moment that he is looking around bored as he's had no company. Either way he's won at various trips in first gear. Looks the real deal to me.

I'd be of the thinking he jumps better going quicker. The best he's jumped was probably when he beat Empire Of Dirt over two and a half. The main concern have with Faugheen is the fear he'll hurt his chances by being too keen over three miles. Imo he has plenty of pace and the Neptune looks the obvious race. However it's not that simple with Briar Hill and other novices to juggle, but I do think he'll run on the Wednesday.

I'd go Neptune and make use of the speed as if his jumping frailties are shown up in the AB then he would have it all to do against Kings Palace who has been foot perfect

Last edited:
I think Briar Hill will go for the Albert Bartlett, he'll stay forever and it would take a really good horse to beat him. I think Faugheen, despite not being the slickest hurdler has the pace to win the Neptune and to win it well.

I think Briar Hill will go for the Albert Bartlett, he'll stay forever and it would take a really good horse to beat him. I think Faugheen, despite not being the slickest hurdler has the pace to win the Neptune and to win it well.

Agree with all you said, though Kings Palace looks serious opposition for Briars Hill (if he does go for the AB), he may actually be the prefect foil for the Mullins horse giving him a target to track.

I think Regal Diamond will figure prominently in this. Will have a better idea after Festival Trials day but he is going very well

Interesting debate as to where Briar Hill and Faugheen will end up. I think on better ground Briar Hill will show what boot he has even though it looks like he wants 10 miles. I think he'll have no trouble in the Neptune.

Clondaw Court wins at Thurles to give Mullins another Cheltenham option.

Mullins said this after the race:

He made a mistake early at Leopardstown which unsettled him. Ruby said that his jumping today was foot-perfect. A trip suits him, he gallops all day and looks already like he wants fences. He´ll get an entry in the staying novice hurdles, I would think the Albert Bartlett looks the most suitable for him.

I'm convinced Briar Hill will go for and likely win the Neptune. Willie doesn't run his best horses in the potato race and this fella has gone the Mikael D'Haguenet route which suggests he's right at or very near to the top of their pecking order.

I'm convinced Briar Hill will go for and likely win the Neptune. Willie doesn't run his best horses in the potato race and this fella has gone the Mikael D'Haguenet route which suggests he's right at or very near to the top of their pecking order.

I am told Faugheen is considered the better horse in the camp

Back