Novice Hurdlers 13/14

True enough, he followed a similar path. Briar Hill has more pace than Bob though.

I backed Briar Hill to win any race at 11/2 a while back but have had to go in again for the Neptune because I think the Market has it wrong and if he turns up in that race I'd have the hump that I hadn't gotten on at current prices. I just have this feeling that he is a horse that will be underestimated by the market because he is not flashy. Mullins has also said he isn't a flashy worker and saves it for the track so he's clearly a horse that just does enough.

I am told Faugheen is considered the better horse in the camp

Didn't see this before posting but as I said Mullins has said he's not a flashy worker. They let Briar Hill go off at 25/1 for the Bumper don't forget!

I don't know Aragorn, Boston Bob was pretty near the top of the Clonsutton pecking order two years ago,

I didn't realise Boston Bob and Briar Hill are from the same family.... And obviously it's the same ownership soooo....

I think I might have dropped a b0ll0ck here :D :whistle:

I have Briar Hill for the Neptune as well but will back him for the AB if he goes there. As solid as King's Palace looks I want to take on any Pipe horse that goes for a Festival race at short odds without a prep in the new year.

I think Briar Hill will go for the Albert Bartlett, he'll stay forever and it would take a really good horse to beat him. I think Faugheen, despite not being the slickest hurdler has the pace to win the Neptune and to win it well.

I think they will do a Champagne Fever, already talking the same riddles as last year. This horse will out stay them all when they go hell to the leather in the Supreme over the minimum.

I have Briar Hill for the Neptune as well but will back him for the AB if he goes there. As solid as King's Palace looks I want to take on any Pipe horse that goes for a Festival race at short odds without a prep in the new year.

As I said before I'm on at 11/2 to win any race but going in again on the Neptune might have been a bit hasty.

Last edited:
Meadowcroft Boy running tomorrow in the Grade 2 supreme trial at Haydock
A horse I have been very exited about seeing since he danced round Carlisle in a novice hurdle winning by 21 lengths eased down, In the process clocking a 4 seconds faster time than THE LIQUIDATOR two weeks earlier over the same track,trip and ground (soft).

9/2 isn't much to get excited about but I was very taken by him and will definetley be on.

From Dan Skelton's website

Willow's Saviour will not be taking his chance in next Saturday's Betfair Hurdle after pulling a muscle in training. It's nothing to worry about long term and he'll be back on the gallops in no time but going to a race like that, on ground that's highly likely to be very testing is simply not an option when you've any chinks in your armour. His next race will be The Skybet Supreme at The Festival on March 11th.

Loved what Ruby said on Racing UK yesterday

If Briars Hill goes down to the bottom of Willie's gallops with the worst horse in the yard he just comes back upsides him.

If Briars Hill goes down to the bottom of Willie's gallops with the best horse in the yard he just comes back upsides him.

Loved what Ruby said on Racing UK yesterday

If Briars Hill goes down to the bottom of Willie's gallops with the worst horse in the yard he just comes back upsides him.

If Briars Hill goes down to the bottom of Willie's gallops with the best horse in the yard he just comes back upsides him.

Was a good insight. Just makes me believe even more that he has the pace for the Neptune. Will be interesting to see where he sends him and Faugheen, assuming he keeps them apart.

Is it the Deloitte this weekend?
Tullow Tank should be confirming his position at the head of the market for The supreme IMO.

Vautour also has the Delloite entry, and it looks a cracking renewal.

Acid test for Vautour though - if he gets a run.

Last edited:
Is it the Deloitte this weekend?
Tullow Tank should be confirming his position at the head of the market for The supreme IMO.

It's on the following weekend with the Hennessy, should be a good renewal. Fan of the Tullow Tank and think the supreme would be ideal for him. Afraid that he loses this they will head to the Neptune.

Possibly slightly off topic.. But a horse I was expecting to see as a Novice hurdler this season was 'Golantilla'. Barry Connell owned and trained by Tony Martin.

Anyway, no sign of him all season and then yesterday I saw Bet Victor Tweeting that he had been backed from 12/1 into 9/1 for the Charmion Bumper at the festival.....

Same horse was 3rd in the festival Bumper to Briar Hill last year!

This is something I have never seen before or certainly never noticed.

Is that not very unusual for the same horse to go for the Festival Bumper 2 years in a row?

Anyone shed any light on this?

Don't know about that but Golantilla was one of five runners last year which fitted the trends for the Festival Bumper the others were Union Dues, Briar Hill, Regal Encore, and Sizing Tennessee.

Don't know about that but Golantilla was one of five runners last year which fitted the trends for the Festival Bumper the others were Union Dues, Briar Hill, Regal Encore, and Sizing Tennessee.

Wow....... 1st. Briar Hill 25/1 2nd. Regal Encore 7/1 3rd Golantilla 9/1

23 Runners and the trends suggest 5 possible winners - 3 of which were 1st,2nd & 3rd!

That is some return......

I'd be very keen to see those trends/stats before this years Bumper please.

Just as a matter of interest if you can recall - Did Cue Card fit this trend when he won Bumper at 25/1 in 2010?

Golantilla is eligible again this year.why they would keep him for the bumper another year beats me-more money than sense.

Nick Williams did something similar with Diamond Harry back in the day, I think.....though it was the valuable DBS Newbury bumper he won twice.

Refinement, trained for the Magniers by Jonjo O'Neill, ran in the Champion bumper in 2004 and 2005. She finished 2nd to Total Enjoyment and 4th the following year to Missed That.

Back