QM Champion Chase betting

While you were typing Frankel was backing him at 4............nowts wrong with that run and the sparkle is definitely still there.

Barry brought him home safe which is the most important thing

Reversing the form with Dodging Bullets shouldn't be too much of a problem but Sire Du Grugy might just be the best horse he's ever had to face.

Hopefully he will come back to his best and we have another Clash of the Century to look forward to.

I'm sorry but if that was any other race with any other horse and any other jockey and any other trainer they'd be am enquiry into the riding of him! I understand fully the history if what's gone on with the horse but that kind of effort to me puts racing into disrepute. I haven't had a bet wouldn't dream of it but what about the betting public who have the rules state a horse should be ridden to obtain the best possible placing that was not.

Looked to me like ss blew up there.

I dare say he did but he usually travels and jumps much better and his races are over before the home turn and it's his high cruising speed that others can't handle

When he won the Arkle at Cheltenham he left me thinking he wouldn't have found what you might expect had Barry chased him up the hill.

He should strip much fitter at the Festival all being well

I'm sorry but if that was any other race with any other horse and any other jockey and any other trainer they'd be am enquiry into the riding of him! I understand fully the history if what's gone on with the horse but that kind of effort to me puts racing into disrepute. I haven't had a bet wouldn't dream of it but what about the betting public who have the rules state a horse should be ridden to obtain the best possible placing that was not.

Are you on drugs? silly post

I think everyone is looking at that with rose tinted specs. He's run 30lbs below his best and I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole in the QMCC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A mate of mine rang me straight after the race saying exactly this. Giving out stink that Geraghty never even tried... Like he was going mental because he had backed Sprinter. Now, let me stress, my mate is not a racing enthusiast. He is a casual sporadic Saturday CH 4 watcher. But he likes a bet. So I suppose it is quite conceivable that the casual fan could take this view. I obviously disagreed with him, but just thought it interesting to note the perception of the casual fan.

I don't know what the plans are but I reckon he needs that newbury race. I'm with benny. Taking into account blowing up a bit he still didnt quite look the same horse without being able to put finger on it. You have to fancy the wonderfully game sdg to come back in better shape.

The dream is still on for everybody as far as the 2 Mile Champion Chase goes imo.
SS ran well enough for connections to be happy the horse still has it to come on from the race while connections of Dodging Bullets, Sire De Grugy, Champagne Fever, Hidden Cyclone, (dare I say Don C???- better not !) will still think they have a chance come March.
It makes for a fascinating few weeks for us all.

My feeling is that the horse didn't look his old glossy self in the paddock. Prior to his setback, he was a horse in a million with looks and a gleaming coat to match. That wasn't apparent today. Early on in the race, I felt the horse wasn't travelling with his usual dominance and fluency. BUT that is to be entirely understood. Last year, we have no idea how much the heart problem affected him mentally. If you have had a heart scare, you aren't going to go into your come-back race and be 100% you're not going to drop dead of a heart attack. And we understand what we have been told by the doctors. A horse is relying on its jockey to impart that confidence, which BG most definitely did. By mid-race he had come on the bridle and it looked like he was well on the road back to the former days. BG looked to DB and it seemed he was travelling better but SS just ran out of race fitness and BG sensibly did not panic but looked after him. What if he had pasted him, still not quite got to DB and SS had dropped dead through over-exertion?

If he were mine, I would be relatively happy. After all he has met a race fit horse on an upward curve. NJH knows he still has plenty to work on but I bet (so long as he comes out of this race OK) he will look a completely different horse come March.

* Just read he was found to have had a small bleed post race.

Last edited:

I'd have to say I have some sympathy with the above view
Though we all know what's gone on with the horse, and it's doubtful he'd have won anyway, it was blindingly obvious the horse was ridden to have as easy a time as possible = he was reined in at stages he should have being going forward at, and lesser jockeys on lesser horses have been would have been hauled in pdq for the lack of effort BG showed in the closing stages. It probably wouldn't have changed the result at all, but it did look bloody awful.

Read some of the comments on here. That covers it.

He was beaten 3 lengths, not half a length.

Which makes it even worse IMO the lack of effort.

I've read the comments on here. Treat me as simple if you want and please point out where my comments are bollocks?

Which makes it even worse IMO the lack of effort.

I've read the comments on here. Treat me as simple if you want and please point out where my comments are bollocks?

I can kinda see where you are coming from, there's no doubt BG wasn't overly hard on him once he realised he couldn't win...but that is the important point, he knew he couldn't win. So to my mind he did achieve the best possible place. Is there anything to say he has to beat hell out of the horse in the process?

I can kinda see where you are coming from, there's no doubt BG wasn't overly hard on him once he realised he couldn't win...but that is the important point, he knew he couldn't win. So to my mind he did achieve the best possible place. Is there anything to say he has to beat hell out of the horse in the process?

Who said anything about beating the hell out of the horse? The whole race was a glorified schooling exercise and that has no place in racing for me. Even worse that it is with such a high profile horse in such a high profile race.

Back