QM Champion Chase betting

Who said anything about beating the hell out of the horse? The whole race was a glorified schooling exercise and that has no place in racing for me. Even worse that it is with such a high profile horse in such a high profile race.

Ok so what did you want him to do? How could he have achieved a better finishing position? Did you see Henderson's reaction at the end of the race? He was visibly disappointed and I'm sure they wanted to keep his winning record intact. I don't think it was a schooling exercise at all, he had to start back somewhere and was never going to be 100% on his first run back no matter how much work they had got into him.

I thought Sprinter traveled great, jumped fine and just got tired. We'll see a different horse in 8 weeks. Some photos from the day:

Pre Parade
attachment.php

Ready to go
attachment.php

Hendo & Barry talk tactics
attachment.php

Mounted
attachment.php

More interest in the 2nd than winner...
attachment.php

Attachments

• 2014 Dec 026.jpg
    2014 Dec 026.jpg
    994.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 2014 Dec 037.jpg
    2014 Dec 037.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 79
  • 2014 Dec 041.jpg
    2014 Dec 041.jpg
    939.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 2014 Dec 048.jpg
    2014 Dec 048.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 78
  • 2014 Dec 051.jpg
    2014 Dec 051.jpg
    824.3 KB · Views: 75
Ok so what did you want him to do? How could he have achieved a better finishing position? Did you see Henderson's reaction at the end of the race? He was visibly disappointed and I'm sure they wanted to keep his winning record intact. I don't think it was a schooling exercise at all, he had to start back somewhere and was never going to be 100% on his first run back no matter how much work they had got into him.

So you don't think Geraghty could have kicked at the 2nd last or at least tried to see if he had the same kick as before at any point instead of just sitting trying to give the horse the easiest possible time . I also fail to see how using the whip once or twice to exert more effort can be questioned. If the worry is the horses heart then surely he should not be on the race course at all as that is a danger to the horse, jockey and other participants in the race.
I appreciate you're opinion and you are entitled to that but I tend to disagree .

So you don't think Geraghty could have kicked at the 2nd last or at least tried to see if he had the same kick as before at any point instead of just sitting trying to give the horse the easiest possible time . I also fail to see how using the whip once or twice to exert more effort can be questioned. If the worry is the horses heart then surely he should not be on the race course at all as that is a danger to the horse, jockey and other participants in the race.
I appreciate you're opinion and you are entitled to that but I tend to disagree .

Well, it's all about opinions, and you are entitled to yours.

As stated earlier sp, if Geraghty had gone for him earlier he'd have been beaten further. The horse got tired, you know blew up, wIll come on a bundle for the run. I bet the horse traded very short in running after the jump 3 out.
So if Geraghty had got the whip out it would have made little or no difference, he knew the horse was beaten. This is before the bleeding nostril has come to light.
Horses are allowed to improve for the run you know, this season it's been more apparent than most. You are obviously reading the race a lot different to most posters here.
It's all about opions at the end of the day, however, I'm 100% confident that come March today's form will be reversed massively and the bookies tend to agree.

Yes, great pics Perpetual. Thanks for sharing.

Post-race comment from Barry Geraghty on Sporting Life website: “Sprinter Sacre felt brilliant, he jumped brilliantly and travelled away and he'll come on plenty for it. Short of winning the race, I couldn't be any happier. I'd be hopeful of getting closer in March. His jumping will get better, he'll get fitter. I'd be very happy with him. He put up a good show, he showed plenty of his former self. It rode a good race - take nothing from the winner, he did it well.”

I'd also add that today has given them the green light to press on with him in his work. With the heart scare I reckon it's only human nature to take your foot off the pedal slightly.

I think that was a perfectly satisfactory reintroduction from SS today.

Something to bear in mind: anyone recall what Hendo said when asked about stepping the horse up in trip for, say, the King George? This isn't verbatim but it was along the lines of, "Well, to do that he'd probably have to be ridden conservatively which goes against the nature of his jumping. He needs to be let loose and go at his fences to let his natural exuberance carry him along. If you don't let him do that you won't see the real Sprinter Sacre."

Today he was ridden very conservatively and we never really saw the exuberance you'd want to see but that's perfectly understandable. We'll see a different beast - the real Sprinter Sacre - in March.

At the same time, Dodging Bullets is clearly a lot better than I'd thought, possibly better than Sire De Grugy.

I'd also add that today has given them the green light to press on with him in his work. With the heart scare I reckon it's only human nature trto take your foot off the pedal slightly.

Surely that argument is flawed though as if anything he's not been tested properly to exertion so how do they know the heart reaction won't occur when he is. Surely more likely to happen in QM where they go quicker, harder and there is no place to hide?

Surely that argument is flawed though as if anything he's not been tested properly to exertion so how do they know the heart reaction won't occur when he is. Surely more likely to happen in QM where they go quicker, harder and there is no place to hide?

It was a good time today and Somersby went at a proper gallop in soft ground which probably explains why he folded so tamely in the straight . I suspect that Cheltenham and good ground will see him allowed to use his jumping much more than they did today.

Off the turn Dodging Bullets looked the one in trouble and Sprinter Sacre got tired approaching the last . I suspect on better ground he would have won today and after in reality nearly 2 years off since his last real race it was a very good run albeit that the bleed is concerning.

My gut feeling is that he will never regain the heights of two years ago but that he might well still be the best 2 miler . I suspect SDG to be a much bigger threat than Dodging Bullets whose record at the Festival is not very impressive .

Last edited:
Sp, no matter what I reply you will disagree, so we'll leave at that unless you fancy laying me a price?
Although I note you have not replied to earlier post, maybe you are talking out of your pocket, even though you claim to not have a bet. Seems the only logical explanation to me.

Last edited:
I thought he would be close to even money after that performance.If I understood Dave Nevison properly he claimed he was hard fit and just isn't the same horse.I would be inclined to lay the front 3 in the market and try to find an outsider to back.

I thought he would be close to even money after that performance.If I understood Dave Nevison properly he claimed he was hard fit and just isn't the same horse.I would be inclined to lay the front 3 in the market and try to find an outsider to back.

Simply Ned is worth a look of the outsiders
Ran well on ground he wont have liked in the Dial a bet and finished ahead of Dodging Bullets in the Shloer
Nicky seems to be bringing him on patiently and the CC is his stated target

Sp, no matter what I reply you will disagree, so we'll leave at that unless you fancy laying me a price?
Although I note you have not replied to earlier post, maybe you are talking out of your pocket, even though you claim to not have a bet. Seems the only logical explanation to me.

Sorry what post have I not replied to?

If you read my comments I believe that there was no effort today to win the race and they should have been pulled in.

So why would I want to lay a price? If anything surely that's the opposite of what id be doing? As for the bookies hasn't he lengthened after today? Pocket talking no because I tend to think today was not in the best interests of racing and the fact it won't be brought to light as it's a trainer, jockey and horse who the stewards wouldn't do it to.

Yep sorry did make a response it didn't send. Won't go into detail again now but don't think anyone can be certain he'd have been beaten further if the race was different or the whip was used.

As said earlier everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect that. Let's see what happens come March I think we are on the same page with that.

Sorry what post have I not replied to?

If you read my comments I believe that there was no effort today to win the race and they should have been pulled in.

So why would I want to lay a price? If anything surely that's the opposite of what id be doing? As for the bookies hasn't he lengthened after today? Pocket talking no because I tend to think today was not in the best interests of racing and the fact it won't be brought to light as it's a trainer, jockey and horse who the stewards wouldn't do it to.

I believe you are wrong -Geraghty put him in a position to win the race and he looked to have Dodging Bullets cold with two to jump. In hindsight BJG may have made his move too soon.It is well documented about the horse having heart problems was anybody expecting him to be flogged when the race was lost.

I believe you are wrong -Geraghty put him in a position to win the race and he looked to have Dodging Bullets cold with two to jump. In hindsight BJG may have made his move too soon.It is well documented about the horse having heart problems was anybody expecting him to be flogged when the race was lost.

Again not once have I said I expected the horse to be flogged but you cannot tell me in all seriousness you think that Sprinter today was ridden to be pushed to win the race? That's my point they should have been pulled in and questioned if that had been an amateur and small trainer I believe they would. Is that fair on the people that have bet that horse? I understand fully the ins and outs of the SS story but I don't believe in public schooling and imo that was what today was. If they are that worried about exertions and his heart he shouldn't be there at all

Last edited:
As DO's already pointed out, it's his stride and exuberant jumping that wins his races, so why check that stride after almost every fence from Swinley Bottom onwards?
There's a world of difference between 'flogging' a horse and not even showing it the whip, too.

Ruby was talking about the whip on the morning line and said he doesn't change his style depending on which country he is riding in - he simply does what he thinks is right for the horse- maybe that's what BJG did today.

Back