QM Champion Chase betting

Not sure I completely buy that Euro. Some will bring up the way Denman served it up in his Gold Cup. Kauto though never really travelled a yard in that race or jumped well at all. I thought very early on he was going to finish nowhere. The fact he only finished 7 lengths back was a testament of how ruddy good he was.

This has been covered a million times on this forum. Kauto didn't jump because Denman took him out of his comfort zone. He did to horses what Frankel did. Was Canford Cliffs not himself in the Sussex Stakes - no he wasn't, because Frankel dismantled him.

And Denman couldn't put one hoof in front of the other on a right-handed course. And was limited to three miles plus. A far inferior champion to King Kauto - ask Nicholls when he retires.

This has been covered a million times on this forum. Kauto didn't jump because Denman took him out of his comfort zone. He did to horses what Frankel did. Was Canford Cliffs not himself in the Sussex Stakes - no he wasn't, because Frankel dismantled him.

Yes, and a million times we've established the 'comfort zone' argument as nothing but a bunch of old wank.

The proximity of Neptune Collonges tells you all you need to know about how far KS ran below form that day.

No Mas!! :lol:

I've used this football analogy before on here: England play Holland at Wembley four times and England win three times 2-0, but a Holland with their full team out turn up one time and beat England 5-0 (2009 GC). England don't face Holland anywhere else, because they are not seen as good travellers, and won't play Holland in Holland (let's call that Kempton). Who do you think are the better team?

Last edited:
Yes, and a million times we've established the 'comfort zone' argument as nothing but a bunch of old wank.

The proximity of Neptune Collonges tells you all you need to know about how far KS ran below form that day.

No Mas!! :lol:
Kauto only started struggling proper on the second circuit.

Anyway. Who is Pricewise gonna stick up for the QM tomorrow?
Uxizandre maybe. Whether he runs or not is another question.

Isn't that the race where Neptune Collonges was found to have sustained an injury during the race so his proximity to Kauto Star doesn't prove anything.

Anyway...Barry's thoughts on Saturday:

SPRINTER'S FLAME STILL BURNS BRIGHTLYLast week was all about one horse and one horse only, SPRINTER SACRE ATR Tracker, and I was really happy with his performance in the Sodexo Clarence House Chase at Ascot on Saturday.
Obviously, I’d have liked him to have won but he did the next best thing by showing me that the flame still burns brightly.
For Sprinter to perform as well as he did in finishing second to a race-fit rival - Tingle Creek winner Dodging Bullets - tells us that he’s not that far off of where he needs to be.
His jumping wasn’t as fluent as it has been in the past but that’s just down to match practice.
You’ve got to remember that Ascot was his first completed competitive race in 20 months - since he won at the Punchestown Festival in April 2013.
That definitely took something from him and put him under a bit more pressure than usual.
Those combined factors were probably what caused the slight bleed which was at a low scale of two out of five.
I was happy enough after three out but when Dodging Bullets came alongside two out I knew we were in trouble because there wasn’t a great deal of response from my fella.
But he pinged the second last and that kept him very competitive despite him being beaten and there was no reason to hit him because he had no more to offer.
The winner was drawing away and Sprinter was getting tired and only a fool would have pulled the whip.
It was never the plan to run him again before the Cheltenham Festival and, from my point of view, he did everything right apart from win.
Sprinter Sacre can now be built up for the Queen Mother Champion Chase and - if he stays healthy - I’m sure you will see a fitter and sharper horse come March.

Isn't that the race where Neptune Collonges was found to have sustained an injury during the race so his proximity to Kauto Star doesn't prove anything.

Nope. Neptune ran a month later and won the Punchestown Gold Cup.

Last edited:
Have just watched it again, and Kauto actually does go OK for the first circuit (it was the second he wasn't fluent at, rather than the fourth).

The damage was done at the first two in the straight at the end of the first circuit, and then a further error at the first one in the back-straight. I think the race was lost over those three fences. Given Kauto made-up about 8L on Neptune Collonges in the last 3/4 mile, I can't have it that he was taken out of his comfort zone.

Last edited:
Anyway...Barry's thoughts on Saturday:

Barry read my post and thought that sound right I'll say that:lol:

Seriously though any who thinks Sprinter Sacre won't strip much fitter at Cheltenham is deluding themself.

If someone thinks he won't turn up at all that's one thing but to expect a repeat of Saturdays performance is shooting at the moon.

PN reckons Dodging Bullets will improve again but if Barry's summary is correct all he has done is beaten a horse who was beaten from along way out.
Granted there was others well behind but Somersby hated the ground and if you take SS out of the race he's beaten Twinlight 8 lengths
If that is QMCC form then we are in big trouble.

Funny old game racing had DB stayed at Home and Sprinter Sacre beaten Twinlight 3 lengths the fact he had finished 7 lengths in front of Somersby
would have most people thinking Twinlight ran a fantastic race and Sprinter Sacre would be evens.

The actual form should go where it belongs.......in the bin.

Sprinter Sacre only need improve about 7 or 8lbs to win the QMCC and there's 20lbs in there somewhere and if anyone can find it it's Nicky Henderson.

Currently 11/4 there's not much sense in risking an AP bet as they have no intentions of running him between now and then and neither
has PN any intentions of running DB.

The only way the market will change dramatically is if SDG fails in his come back which is highly unlikely because if Nicky Henderson shouted from the rooftops that Sprinter Scare
was better than ever there would still be plenty out to get him until they see him on the course on the day.

Last edited:
Aggregate lengths over Gold Cup C&D in completed races, put Kauto comfortably ahead.

How stupid would we like this to get??

Last edited:
Back