QM Champion Chase betting

There's an interesting timeform article floating around on twitter that I'd urge you to look at regarding horses regaining their ratings etc. and in particular SS.it says that out of 12 top class chasers (165+) to return after injury,5 of them got back to the level they were previously (41.7%).makes for an interesting read.There are some holes in the piece though.made me feel better about my SS ante post anyway!

The SS debate is interesting as people have different views on it.
I did though read from Tom Segal what I thought was a very poor comparison between SS and Big Buck's.
Big Buck's was a 11 year old staying hurdler. Just how many 11 year olds have won a world hurdle.

Last edited:
The obvious thing that they did say was that SS being rated in 190's is difficult to compare.timeform opinion is that a 10lb improvent from ascot would make him virtually bomb proof.41.7% what's that about 6/4.....fill your boots.

The more I think back on it, the more convinced I become that SS will find a bundle on his latest run. Some suggest he was at the end of his tether, but connections went in with the deliberate intention of his not having a hard race (understandable in the circumstances). Sure enough BG said he wouldn't have found any more, but how else could he justify not even shaking the reins at the horse?
With uncertainty surrounding the first 2 in the betting, I was going to swerve the race, but the nearer it comes, the more convinced I am that SS will prove the bet of the meeting.

Last edited:
Anyone that doesn't fancy The Black Aeroplane might want to have a look at Ladbrokes. They're offering money back on your selection is SS finishes 1st or 2nd. £25 max.

I'm starting to think that the Bookies think that SDG will beat Sprinter. Weather they are correct or not is an entirely different matter.
That Ladbrokes offer above and I only just noticed myself that Paddy Power have SDG shorter in the betting and Fav ahead of Sprinter.
This might have been the case with PP for a while now, I've just noticed this myself this morning.

The more I think back on it, the more convinced I become that SS will find a bundle on his latest run. Some suggest he was at the end of his tether, but connections went in with the deliberate intention of his not having a hard race (understandable in the circumstances). Sure enough BG said he wouldn't have found any more, but how else could he justify not even shaking the reins at the horse?
With uncertainty surrounding the first 2 in the betting, I was going to swerve the race, but the nearer it comes, the more convinced I am that SS will prove the bet of the meeting.

I'm in the camp that thinks he'll win too. Thought his comeback was more than good enough in the circumstances.

I'm starting to think that the Bookies think that SDG will beat Sprinter. Weather they are correct or not is an entirely different matter.
That Ladbrokes offer above and I only just noticed myself that Paddy Power have SDG shorter in the betting and Fav ahead of Sprinter.
This might have been the case with PP for a while now, I've just noticed this myself this morning.

Definitely a danger to Sprinter Sacre and they do have :The never come back on their side"

As for the rest lets be honest......he won the Tingle Creek only because the best 2 milers were in their sick beds...The horse is a **** of a thing you couldn't trust as far as you could throw it.

Champagne Fever just doesn't win top class races anymore.........you think he's fast?.....far from it he's a one paced galloper who would have a slightly better chance in the Ryanair......he's here for the Place Money.

Mr. Mole? He's so far outt of his class he might just beat the horses in the previous race home but that's about all...........tailed off certainty

Simply Ned......could be worth an ew bet this is a nice horse who will run better than his price suggests and may just finish in the 3,

Special Tiara..........nothing special just a nuisance who shouldn't be there

Sizing Europe..........Great to see him back.......no real racing fan would grudge him winning the race again.

Savello....owner and trainer have no idea what the word Champion means .......might get as far as the start if they put him on a trolly.

1 Sprinter Sacre 2. Simply Ned 3. Sire De Grugy

Mr Mole is so far out of his class..l;)..gave a start and a hammering to SDG..had him running so fast he blundered...class..a hackneyed word i used to hear about in betting shops in the 70's..no one knew what it meant but they kept saying it just the same.

like i said before..put SS in place of MM in that race you would have been harping on about it for months Tanlic..he won as easy as SS has in some of his races..never changed gear..with the horse you think is more classy on the deck behind him

Last edited:
Definitely a danger to Sprinter Sacre and they do have :The never come back on their side"

he's a one paced galloper who would have a slightly better chance in the Ryanair......

That beat the Champion Hurdle 1st and 2nd over 2 miles.

I'm not saying he'd beat SS at his best but I'd have him over Dodging Bullets any day of the week

EC Mr Mole was flattered no end SDG needed the run and jumped like a mule, Upsilon Bleu wouldn't get within a fence of SDG on a going day and the 3rd would be better off on Blackpool beach.

How can you base anything on a horse that was obviously out of sorts?

Mr Mole beat Brick Red prior to that race and he scraped home in a handicap the other day.

There's nothing to indicate that Mr Mole deserves his place in this company.......absolutely nothing.

JP was asked what he thought of his chances and he said" You can back him if you like but he won't be carrying my money.

He runs in this because there's nowhere else to send him of a ridiculously high rating of 165

So you guys would run Special Tiari in the QMCC if he were yours.........or would you prefer to run him in something he could actually win?

Think of it this way, Tanlic.

With a rating of 157, what else is there for him at the Festival? A welter burden in the Grand Annual, and that's about it. He is an out-and-out 2-miler, so the Ryanair isn't an option, and there are question marks over at least the front two in the betting, and he has not much too find with Balder Success. His price probably reflect his chance, but it is absolutely the logical race to run him in.

That beat the Champion Hurdle 1st and 2nd over 2 miles.

Yep and he lost in the Arkle and this is a huge step up in class.

Been a lot of Champion Hurdle horses tried to win the Arkle and failed let alone the QMCC

Crackaway Jack was a huge disappointment as was Rock On Ruby and Peddlers Cross. Only Sizing Europe won it. Sir Ken (3 Champion Hurdles) won it before it was the Arkle and of course Flying Bolt ran 3rd to Salmon Spray in the Champion Hurdle.

Back