Racing Post Charge

After my first cutting views about the new RP website, it is developing.

Another development I found by accident:

To show only the type of form a horse has shown e.g. flat, aw, hurdle, chase etc click on the summary record line.

MR2

The hacks have to fill a paper and Mick is extremely obliging to fellow press professionals, always has been even before he joined them. I doubt he goes out trying to get coverage! - though agreed he is danger of becoming over-ubiquitous for all except his die-hard fans

The Dog Section on Saturdays is a joke it get smaller and smaller That was the main reason I first got the RP. we also lost Mark O'Sulervan in the merger.

Thanks Gareth. Been away for a week so thought it was just a small blip for last couple of days. Site also not recognising me for logging on purposes and I'm having to enter my user name.

I do hope they aren't even contemplating charging for it yet.

Ah. I see that the site will be down for upgrading from 10pm tonight until 3.00 a.m. tomorrow - needed.

Tom Segal is the only writer worth reading The cards form etc can be got elsewhere if they charged for the site this could be a disaster for the RP

We were told things would improve, but I still think the "upgrade" has been a bad mistake. A very good website got messed up and is now too slow and too unreliable to be useful.

Looks like the custom ratings service is back, as is the "previous race" and "susbequent race" links for each runner in a race, which is nice to see.

And they've even put the sex (and colour) of the horse back - it's available as part of the pedigree line.

And another fixed bugbear of mine is that, on each runner's form summary, they now seperate the value of a race from the class and type - so no longer do we have the confusing sight of the Arc being labelled as a "G11680K" race.

Edit: and you can now cycle through an entire card of results without having to leave the results sheet (the arrows before and after the race time).

Also, is that Notebook feature on the results sheer new (click the tab next to Analysis)?

Still can't access my ratings as it won't recognise that I've logged in. Just keep getting told to log in and then told I'm already logged in.

Changes noted, but not much use if you can't access things.

On the old RP site they had loads and loads of Tony Morris's pedgree pieces on the weeks big winners...not anymore. :(

Here, here Galileo, they were good to read at the time and even better to read back as the profiled horses progressed. One of the most enjoyable non-betting related features on the website. It seems that the website is now only concerned with services that may be beneficial to punters. They've lost the plot in my opinion. I won't be subscribing.

Another thing I've noted, they seem to have given up on the plus ratings for good performances. Looked up a few performance that I was sure had got a plus in the previous website only to find none there now. These symbols are, in my opinion, essential to assessing ratings. It shouldn't be that complicated to include them. Just look at Rock of Gibraltar for his Irish 2000 gunieas wins. The win rating is next to useless without the plus. Ok, you can get that impression in the comments in running, but the + makes it more obvious and user friendly. They seem to be only interested in serving punters yet this old feature would save punters times. Incredulous.

Pinched from Final Furlong posted by Hoofhearted

Bruce Millington -- editor of Racing Post -- doesn't like horseracing forums.
After his rant against the Betfair forum,

"Racing Post editor Bruce Millington recently listed his “sporting wishes for the year ahead”. It included his wish that Betfair, the betting exchange website, “does something about its increasingly pathetic forum” which, he claims, features comments from “people who are not safe to be let loose with a crayon let alone a keyboard.

“How a respectable company like Betfair … allows itself to play host to such feeble, nasty, predictable, pocket-talking, barely regulated, anonymous viewpoints is utterly beyond me.”

His own forum mind you is full of quality contributions that are no better than the pithy one sentance crap that he bemoans. Indeed, (as TH pointed out) they even allowed a post to stand that suggested you couldn't back Denman for the Melling Chase until you'd seen the draw:blink:. Now no one's got a monopoly on crap postings and there's enough of them flying around the internet, but it makes it a bit difficult for the RP to present themselves as the industry font of knowledgable opinion whilst indulging such stuff. To no small extent of course, forums pose a threat to the RP opinion pieces, which means their principal reason for being is their database rather than their journalistic input

Last edited:
Back