Retirements and Departures 2013

When you consider they saved Nick Dundee and raced him again against all odds they have great hopes for this: just hope his Montjeuish instincts will not get the better of him in his confinement. A great loss to racing as he was a great barometer to form these past three seasons.

Update from Coolmore

fter a lengthy surgery to fuse the pastern St Nicholas Abbey is recuperating in intensive care at John Halley’s Fethard Equine Hospital. He will remain in intensive care for some time and has many bridges to cross before he is considered out of danger.

This morning he is well and comfortable and back enjoying his hay! We are lucky he is so fit and has a marvelous attitude and temperament which will be vital for his long recovery.'

That's a good start - presumably it's pinned so its a long road ahead, but hopefully now he's got one hurdle out of the way it will continue in the best way it can. He's in the right place for it to go well anyway, now it's down to him.

Good luck fella

Laminitis will be a real fear as his recovery continues, I hope they have him padded on his other foot. Do we know if it's a fore or hind leg?

It must have been a very bad break, not just a slab fracture al la Danoli. Poor boy.

Nx

They are being advised by Dean Richardson who some will remember was responsible for the surgery & aftercare of Barbaro, hopefully that will have yielded some info, sadly not so for barbaro but for future horses

They are being advised by Dean Richardson who some will remember was responsible for the surgery & aftercare of Barbaro, hopefully that will have yielded some info, sadly not so for barbaro but for future horses

He flew into to do the surgery with Ger. Most post op horses will be in soft ride boots to be proactive against laminitis. Colic will be a worry too.

Oscar Close (David Bridgwater) broke his shoulder at the third last at Worcester last night and was pts.

Thanks v much on that info about soft ride boots, they look very good compared to the peripherally loading other shoes that were previously used. That make me more hopeful. And wonder why my vets poo pooed my Easy boot RX's and pads approach to my horses hoof issues (due to over medication with antibiotics) they wanted to shoe the damn thing!!! Crazy crazy.

Nx

Does anyone know if we have one of those recovery pools like they used when barbaro had his ops?
Ah the lovely recovery pool - hopefully the break isn't that serious as from what I've read when it came to Barbaro they just delayed the inevitable for a few months.

Least said about what they did to poor barbaric the better IMO.

I'm liking these soft boots - never heard of them before this, we use imprints or standard (properly fitted!) heart bars on any that we are concerned about. They look like comfy slippers but clearly they must offer enough pedal bone support to be sufficient for laminitis or they wouldn't be using them. (Am presuming the horse with shoes on they are using in the videos is just modelling them!) interesting that they appear to challenge the view that there's an optimum position for the frog support to work FOR the horse rather than damaging it.

Really hope there's a good outcome for him - if it's pinned and he doesn't dick about too much,avoids stress lami and they can keep it from getting infected then he will hopefully be ok. I've got lots of things crossed for him - love him

They say the soft ride bots work just as well with shoes on, though that's just bonkers! The extra sole support might be slightly useful but the peripherally loading shoe is still going to have more action. Much better to be barefoot and let the hoof weightbare naturally across the whole foot.

I hope Coolmore realise how much interest there is in St Nic and do regular updates.

Nx

Unfortunately St Nicholas Abbey had a major setback in his recovery during the night, suffering from a bad colic.

He underwent emergency colic surgery at Fethard Equine Hospital this morning and the prognosis is very guarded at the moment.

That is such a shame. TB's have such fragile digestions when it comes to shock. It's going to be very very hard for him to pull through now, but if he can be hoped and prayed well, he will!

I think (hope) they won't do a Barbaro with him.

Nx

That's just what I was thinking. It all sounded so hopeful but I hope they treat him as a horse that can be saved not as a horse that needs to be saved for his stud value [although the attempt to save Barbaro was purely to save his life with no prospect of a stud career, wasn't it, because it was a hind leg that was damaged?]. I want so much for him to survive but, above all I don't want him to suffer. Throughout all of this I keep wondering how they managed to save Mill Reef all those years ago when veterinary science was less advanced than now.

Jim Bolger's promising 2yo colt Saburo (won at The Curragh in the first 2yo race of the season) dropped dead after working earlier this week.

Martin

One of the Thoroughbred industry’s top racehorses and prolific sires, Unbridled’s Song, was euthanized Friday due to a rapid decline in his health as a result of a large mass present in multiple sinus cavities and around the optic nerves. He began exhibiting acute neurological signs Thursday morning, July 25th, and was transported to Rood and Riddle Equine Hospital in Lexington, Kentucky. Based on the results on an MRI, it was determined the mass was invasive and aggressive in nature and deemed inoperable. The 20-year-old son of Unbridled stood his entire career at Taylor Made Stallions in Nicholasville, Kentucky.

Update from Coolmore

"St Nicholas Abbey has made positive progress and is in good form today following yesterday's colic surgery.”

SMART sprinter Pearl Secret, last seen finishing a fine third in the King's Stand Stakes at Royal Ascot, will miss Friday's Betfred King George Stakes at Glorious Goodwood and is out for the season after fracturing a splint bone in his near foreleg under his knee.
The son of Compton Place won his first four starts before finishing ninth in last year's Nunthorpe and the King's Stand was his sole appearance this term with connections opting to bypass the July Cup.
David Barron, who trains the four-year-old for Qatar Racing, described the news as "terribly disappointing".
"He did his final piece of work before Goodwood on Friday and was in great shape. I could not have been happier with him," Barron said on Monday.
"He pulled out perfectly sound on Saturday and was fine when we put him on the walker - we can only assume the injury occurred while he was on it. I have never heard of a fractured splint bone in quite such a position under the knee.
"He ran such a blinder at Royal Ascot to finish a close third in a Group 1 on his first run of the season. Everyone involved has been so patient in allowing the horse to mature and develop. Among the many top sprinters I have trained he is without doubt the quickest."
The injury has been described by vets as "extremely rare" and Barron added it was "50/50 at best" Pearl Secret returns to action on the track.

Back