Retirements and Departures 2013

I loved him - first time I've seen a horse run, fallen for it and remembered to keep watching it through its career. I've got a poster of his derby win somewhere :)

Three of my old favourites gone already this year :( - Le Beau Bai, Imperial Guest and Katchit

RIP all

Trapper John has died in care of Mouse Morris according to Irish Field. He was one of my earliest memories of Cheltenham.

Really upsetting to hear the news about Le Beau Bai on Ch4 today. Trapper John. Gosh; there's a name from the past. How old was he?

Trapper John has died in care of Mouse Morris according to Irish Field. He was one of my earliest memories of Cheltenham.

I think Trapper John might have been the first horse I backed in a Stayers Hurdle, though it was the year after he won it, I think. I have a vague notion that he might have been placed, but the jock weighed-in light or heavy, and the horse was disqualified after an objection from the Clerk of the Scales. It was over 20 years ago, so I might have the details wrong.

RIP anyway, Trapper John.

I think Trapper John might have been the first horse I backed in a Stayers Hurdle, though it was the year after he won it, I think. I have a vague notion that he might have been placed, but the jock weighed-in light or heavy, and the horse was disqualified after an objection from the Clerk of the Scales. It was over 20 years ago, so I might have the details wrong.

RIP anyway, Trapper John.

Close grassy Won it in 1990 I think and disqualified in 1992. RIP

Big Zeb retired

DSCF0875.jpg

Last edited:
If anyone had told me years ago that Big Zeb would get to retirement I wouldn't have believed them as I was seriously worried about his jumping, so I can't begin to say how pleased I am to hear this news. What a grand horse and what a lovely photo. Thanks Cantoris. That's made my day. [Lovely to see Brave Inca as well]

2002 Supreme Novices' heroine Like-A-Butterfly has died after a severe bout of colic. She gave birth to a colt by Yeats last week

Ahimsa suffered a bad knee injury in 1st race at Dundalk. Xrays will be carried out in the hope of saving her for breeding.

Le Burf suffered a heart attack after easily winning the Mens Open at Godstone today - he's best known for finishing third in the Racing Post Chase of 2010. Commiserations to Kim Smyly and the owner :(

Also we lost one in the Hunt ride after racing too which suffered a fatal fall (think it was one of Phil York's but they didn't list who was on what so the only horses I knew beforehand were Man From Moscow and Betavix).

Martin

Back