Retirements and Departures 2013

This was posted on her FB fan page this morning, never knew he had died

It's been 3 month since Makybe Diva's first foal Rockstardom (Galileo, born 2007) left this world. A race winner of 2 of his 12 race start's with a further 2 placing his career was looking promising. A month before his death he was transferred to Chris Waller's stable and I know many people were excited about this. Sadly we never seen him reach his potential as a freak stable incident ended his life. He is believed to have died from head trauma after rearing up and falling over backwards hitting his head. (this has never been confirmed however the autopsy report states his injuries were consistent with this type of incident). I am posting this for all the 5000+ fans who have joined in the last few weeks and may not be aware of this. Makybe Diva's only daughter and second foal La Dolce Diva (Fusaichi Pegasus, born 2008) was unsuccessful as a race horse and was retired to stud last year and has just had her first foal by Stratum this season. Makybe Diva's 3rd foal Coaster (Encosta De Lago, Born 2009) was exported to France to race as he was born blind in one eye and can not race in Australia because of it. Makybe Diva's 4th foal Taqueen (Lonhro, Born 2011) is a 2 year old and is unraced at this stage he is to be trained by David Hays. Makybe Diva's 5th foal is a colt by High Chaparral born last year (2012). Makybe Diva missed to Sepoy last year and has just been confirmed in foal to All Too Hard last week.

COOLDINE, winner of the 2009 RSA Chase at the Cheltenham Festival, has been put down after a severe bout of colic.
The 11-year-old was due to commence an eventing career next year and was in Dorset for a spell of hunting with Clare Gundry and the Portman Hunt when he went down with colic last Friday.
He had surprised new owner Joanne Quirke with three hunter trial wins and four in the show ring, including the prestigious Irish Thoroughbred Marketing Racehorse to Riding Horse competition at the Dublin Horse Show in August, and she was on Tuesday saddened that he could not take the next step.
She said: "I got him from Willie Mullins' yard in August 2012, shortly after his last run at Galway, and hunter trialled him that winter. He was brilliant and won three times, finishing second in his only other event.
"He then won the racehorse-to-riding horse classes at Balmoral, Tattersalls, Cavan and at Dublin. He was brilliant and the plan was to go eventing next year after a winter of hunting with Clare.
"She loved him too and it is very sad to lose him now. He really was a star and I want to thank everyone for their kind messages about him. It's lovely to know everyone else thought as highly of him as I did."
The son of Beneficial opened his account as a four-year-old at Templemore point-to-point course in Tipperary for trainer Andrew Slattery and was purchased by Violet O'Leary to race in her famous red colours to nine victories, including the RSA Chase and Dr PJ Moriarty Novice Chase at Leopardstown.
He has two brothers, five-year-old Radical Impact and nine-year-old Fists Of Fury.

Smokey Oakey, winner of the Lincoln and Brigadier Gerard in 2008, has been retired. The nine-year-old snapped a losing streak of over two years at Brighton last week

A thoroughly likeable horse and lovely to see him being retired safe and sound. Tough and consistent.

Just had a quick look at his form. Is amazing he only won once more after the Arkle, but what some placings he achieved in between!!

Hope he has a long and happy retirement.

A wonderful horse who won very few races.
Amazing the publicity he got given he was more often than not runner up yet no one questioned his ability or his honesty.
had he been a flat horse with a similar profile a la Norse Dancer or Youmzain he would have been called all the names under the sun.
one of my favourites given his name and local connections; Ml Winters had him and Mikey o Connor put Tom Cooper onto him for Charlie Chawke and friends.
One of the syndicate had a wonderful song written to the air of "Jockser Goes To Stuttgart ". One of the choruses ended with the lines
" When we got to the bedroom Charlie (Chawke) to me said
You'll have to put me into bed I can't take off me leg!"
Grey probably has all the words of the song; he usually does.

Pause and Clause broke a leg at Ayr apparently .

I am afraid it was a serious error of judgment to run him back over fences . He evidently hated it when with Emma Lavelle and this was an accident waiting to happen .

Oh no, Swedish Chef has a share in that one. Commiserations

Thanks Grey - I've been trying to find out what happened for the last few hours but I suspect everyone is too sad to reply to my e-mails and calls. A sad day indeed.

Rest in peace, Carbis Bay.

Apologies for the quality, if only I could blame the weather or the camera rather than my own inadequacies.

Back