Retirements and Departures 2013

Lucy Normile has retired Frith while he is still in one piece. Is staying in the yard I believe, and will go hunting with hounds.

Last edited:
Steveys Lad, ex racehorse now (definately ex ex racer!!) but I figure warrants a mention. Killed in a horse box accident on the way home from the Horse of the Year Show today, where he had come second for the second year running. Can't begin to imagine how awful they must be feeling.

Checked out the Philip Kirby website; he really does make a point of finding good homes for his horses, doesn't he. This is really sad. I've been following the retraining of Desert Sea on his owners blog and people put so much love and effort into retraining so many of these horses, this is an awful thing to have happened.

Two lost at Huntingdon today.....Tiny Tenor (heart attack) and, very sadly, a stable stalwart Strongbow's Legend who fell 2 out when still holding a winning chance.

Only just heard about Dayjur. That's the horse that got me into racing at the age of nine! His shadow jumping antics in his last race endeared him to me even more (probably because I was too young to bet!). They don't make them like him anymore.

NOVELLIST, who smashed the track record by two seconds when scorching to a five-length win in this year's King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes, has been bought to stand at Teruya Yoshida's Shadai operation in Japan and retired from racing.
The four-year-old son of Monsun was withdrawn from this month's Arc at the eleventh hour after contracting a temperature.

Cooldine winning the racehorse to riding horse at the Dublin horse show a few weeks back

BRViJxICMAEVSvp.jpg

RSA chase winner Cooldine has sadly been put down due to colic he had been very successful in the racehorse to riding horse program.

I saw on Twitter earlier that the Mullins trained Pickapocketortwo was killed in the beginners chase at Downpatrick, on his first run for the Galway University Racing Club.

Intello retired to stud too. Will stand at Cheveley Park in 2014 & 2015, then move to Haras du Quesnay in 2016.

Back