Retirements and Departures 2013

Moorcroft Boy, who recovered from near-fatal injury to win the 1996 Scottish National, has been put down aged 28 after suffering from colic

I remember seeing Moorcroft Boy run what I thought was a very good prep race for the National at Uttoxeter in the Midlands [pre internet I hadn't realised that he'd recovered from his broken neck] only to forget to back him for the Scottish. Pleased to know he's had such a long retirement.

Albertas Run was a truly wonderful racehorse.
Anyone who saw his fall at Ascot against Master Minded could only be amazed that he stood up again,let alone go on to win at Cheltenham and Aintree. A cracking animal and a credit to connections. Mr Hemmings I know will take good care of him.

Beneficial, father of Jewson winner Benefficient, has sadly passed away at Knockhouse Stud.

Former racing commentator John Penney, veteran of the ITV Seven, has died at the age of 86.

Happy retirement Merigo! Was looking forward to seeing him try for a 3rd Scottish National this month but much better to see him retired safe, sound and happy :)

Phillip Hobbs tweeted earlier: "Fair Along did not survive colic over the weekend. Commiserations to the Petersons. The whole yard is desperately upset. He was such a star."

Such sad news.

Gutted to hear about the little guy - he was such a star for connections. He will be badly missed.

Last edited:
Back