Retirements and Departures 2013

This is so Black Beauty; Ballabriggs, Albertas and Cloudy Lane all stood in a field talking about old times. Senior moment memory wise but seem to recall seeing a promising new Hemmings horse run recently; if memory is incorrect [probably is] need to be put in field with above mentioned horses...

That is most of the good Hemmings horses gone and little enough by way of replacement yet. All retired sound so best wishes to them all.

Was thinking the same! Does anyone know if all his horses just retire to the field or if any of them go onto do other things?

Are we allowed to go outside our own little bubble ? Sir Chris Hoy expected to announce his retirement from cycling on Thursday after thirteen years at the top level.

Either a heart attack or the crashing impact with the wall !

It is extraordinary that in this day-and-age it is considered acceptable that an unprotected concrete wall can abut a racing area.
Watching the race, I am also concerned for the jockey's wellbeing.
That incident at the fifth last fence in that race (Wex 7:10) is truly a horror show.

A miracle, then !
What is your view (if any) on the safety aspect of the concrete wall; I can only see it only as an unmitigated hazard.

Whenever racing is on at Wexford, I always watch in trepidation when they approach that part of the course, I just assumed Ireland has different regulations about making racecourses "safe". There are a couple of other courses too which look a bit iffy as regards safety, can't remember which ones they are just now, doesn't Tramore have a wall beside some houses ?

Last edited:
Shocking scene but looked like the horse had the heart attack after the fence but before hitting the wall? But totally agree - why have a wall there? Surely in this day and age there is a better solution?

Back