Road to the 2013 Gold Cup

it looks a vintage edition, even with Denman, Kauto Star and Imperial Commander out

Gold Cup
177 needed in my figures

Long Run 8yo, 170 (174) ((179)), 15 runs over fences, CD, exposed and big negative ride.

Silvianaco Conti 7yo , 172p, 7 runs over fences, C?, improving , age and good trainer , some doubts about the course.

Bobs Worth 8yo, 173p , five chase runs, unbeaten at Cheltenham , including 2 Festival wins, C, good atitude and better horse at course, one for the short list.

Sir Des Champs 7yo, 171P, C, unbeaten over fences in 5 runs, lighlty raced over hurdles too, C , Festival winner, will have a tough task next week agains Flemenstar but one the better chances.

Flemenstar 8yo , 170P ,7 runs over fences, best jumper of the whole lot, will prefer shorter distance and soft ground, unlikely to travell.

Tidal Bay 12yo 176, C, Arkle winner, 22 runs over fences, in normal circunstances exposed but operating at his best and place claims on softer ground.

Al Ferof 8yo, 173pt, 6 chase runs, C, good course form , one for next season but looks top class.

The Giant Bolster 8yo,168+, C, 12 runs over the big obstacles, improving but will lack a bit of class.

Last Instalment 8yo, 153P, unbeaten in 4 runs over fences, unexposed ,superb jumper, injury in the past a negative.

Kauto Stone, 7yo 165p 12 chase runs, 7 in Ireland or GB, needs to be fresh, maybe lacking a bit of class.

If force to choose now it is between Sir Des Champs and Bobsworth in what looks a very hot edition.

i

Flemenstar 8yo , 170P ,7 runs over fences, best jumper of the whole lot, will prefer shorter distance and soft ground, unlikely to travell.

Will should be might. He is bred to get in excess of three miles and he has won on good ground.

I could be wrong
but the way he travells and jumps I prefer him on 2 1/2 miles or shorter

what a second season chaser we have this year, I cant remember anyone better in years

it looks a vintage edition, even with Denman, Kauto Star and Imperial Commander out

Gold Cup
177 needed in my figures

Nice write up but where are you getting unlikley to travel from, Put away last year for this season.

For doing that alone, if one horse doesn't make it to Cheltenham, let's hope it's that connections horse. It's bad enough most horses not running post Xmas pre Cheltenham, but to miss it a year in advance makes no sense, the horse was in great form.

The unbeaten Denman of 2007/2008 would have beaten Kauto Star in 2009 and Imperial Commander in 2010 and...yes maybe you are right...he would have beaten Long Run in 2011 too...giving him 4 Gold Cups !

Unfortunately,we can never know as he most certainly was never the same horse when he returned to the track after his debilitating heart problem...pure and simple...and he won the 2009 Hennessy Gold Cup on courage alone,and not in the same devestating way he had won the 2007 race !

Do you honestly believe that Kauto Star ran up to his best when Denman beat him and Neptune Collonges finishing a neck behind Kauto should be ignored? His proximity to Kauto makes it one of the most suspect Gold Cup wins of all time.

Every single bit of evidence points to a 100% Kauto Star being in a totally different league to Denman but you insist time and time again you are right and everyone else is wrong and refuse to answer simple questions that disprove your opinion.

His performances in the Hennessy weren't that much better than Bob's Worth's effort yesterday that latter beating much better horses than he did it is not the most difficult race for good horses to win. It is a grade 3 handicap and 80% of those that run in it are dross.

If Denman had not been around Kauto could have won 4 or 5 Hennessy's if PN thought it was of high priority but PN wanted his best horse to run in the best races like The Betfair and the King George and the horse obliged by winning twice as much prize money for the yard as Denman did.

Getting back to Neptune Collonges I can't wait to hear your answer on this one.

Is Bobs Worth likley to come over for the Lexus?

3m - 5yo+ )[MAX 28] FIRST FORFEIT: 19-DEC-12
SUPPLEMENTARY ENTRY: 19-DEC-12
NHFrm
p878- 1 Across The Bay (DMcCain (in GB))
- . .................................. 11,10
3p//- 2 Albertas Run (JO'Neill (in GB)) - . ..... 11,10
-2332 3 Big Zeb(159) (CAMurphy) - . ............... 11,10
4 Bobs Worth (NHenderson (in GB)) -
. .................................... 11,10
-13f1 5 Bog Warrior(150) (AJMartin) - . .......... 11,10
6 Calgary Bay (MChannon (in GB)) - . . 11,10
45841 7 China Rock(165) (MFMorris) - . .......... 11,10
11p21 8 Cristal Bonus (FR) (PNicholls (in
GB)) - . ......................... 11,10
23423 9 First Lieutenant(159) (MFMorris) - . ... 11,10
11111 10 Flemenstar(168) (PCasey) - . ............. 11,10
12p46 11 Follow The Plan(157) (OMcKiernan)
642p1 12 Forpadydeplasterer(150) (TCooper)
1-311 13 Hidden Cyclone(153) (JJHanlon) - . ... 11,10
1-5f- 14 Midnight Chase (GB) (NMulholland
(in GB)) - . .................... 11,10
p1-7- 15 Pandorama (NMeade) - . ................... 11,10
515-1 16 Prince De Beauchene (FR)(155)
(WPMullins) - . ............. 11,10
-1130 17 Quel Esprit (FR)(158) (WPMullins) - . 11,10
113-3 18 Quito De La Roque (FR)(159)
(CAMurphy) - . ............. 11,10
52044 19 Realt Dubh(159) (NMeade) - . ............ 11,10
2-154 20 Rubi Light (FR)(161) (RAHennessy)
1-111 21 Sir Des Champs (FR)(162)
(WPMullins) - . ............. 11,10
12111 22 Sizing Europe(171) (Hde Bromhead)
23 The Giant Bolster (GB)
(DBridgwater (in GB))
114/- 24 Thegreatjohnbrowne(141)
(NMeade) - . ................ 11,10
25 Tidal Bay (PNicholls (in GB)) - . ......... 11,10
-21/- 26 Weapon's Amnesty (CByrnes) - . ..... 11,10
27 Weird Al (DMcCain (in GB)) - ............ 11,10

I'm told that Sizing Europe is likely to run in the Gold Cup if Sprinter Sacre stays in one piece.I have taken all the 80 and bigger on betfair.

Would be lunacy IMO . He was tired out over 3 miles beaten by a below par Kauto. Over 3 m 2f he would be pulled up halfway round the second circuit I suspect .

For crying out loud why be afraid of one horse ? Sizing Europe should take Sprinter Sacre on .

I thought Henry Alper died years ago but this owner of Sizing Europe is like him all over the back......Sizing Europe's trainer must be pulling his hair out and contemplating getting the owner therapy

Would be lunacy IMO . He was tired out over 3 miles beaten by a below par Kauto. Over 3 m 2f he would be pulled up halfway round the second circuit I suspect .

For crying out loud why be afraid of one horse ? Sizing Europe should take Sprinter Sacre on .

I agree with you.

I thought Henry Alper died years ago but this owner of Sizing Europe is like him all over the back......Sizing Europe's trainer must be pulling his hair out and contemplating getting the owner therapy

Owner has some lovely young horses, he will get a gold cup running from one of them in time.

SE is on the way down. 11 in a few days, his worst run in a year and a half today. He is one to oppose from here on, no point waiting till he's clearly over the hill. He should run in the QM though, he could still place.

I have a feeling that SWC won't ride Long Run too aggressively in the Gold Cup as he pricked his ears when he kicked on five or six out in the King George. Ridden with more restraint in the Gold Cup, I just can't see him having the pace when they quicken three out. It's going to be interesting.

Agreed. Ryanair will be too hot for him. The interesting thing about that race is some of the man contenders - Cue Card, Grands Crus, Champion Court and Riverside Theatre - can't have done themselves any good in the King George running in that slog. A double figure price about Finian's Rainbow is nice value.

Back