Road to the 2013 Gold Cup

What makes you think Fingal Bay would? Dynaste hammered him and then all over the place afterwards - would imagine you could name your price with the bookmakers. Chalk and cheese in comparison with Bobs Worth.

He gave weight to Dynaste that day and it was hardly stamina sapping.

The Pipe horse did frank the form afterwards but isn't a stayer.

3m+ on soft ground we'll see Fingal Bay in the Premier League

Ruby not a gracious loser. Does himself no favours at times

No, he's not, and his attempts this week to carve out a future TV career for himself are cringeworthy.

Such a difference listening to someone like Geraghty, who is (for me) a more intelligent analyst of races and more in control of his emotions, win or lose.

My initial reaction is that it is a good Gold Cup. I did say earlier in the season it might be ordinary and it's maybe ended up a couple of pounds better.

Long Run is done. Sir Des Champs is Wayward Lad reincarnate. Silviniaco Conti fell. I'll check the full result later but I suspect lines with the beaten horses will put Bobs Worth in the 175-177 category. Short of Best Mate and some way short of Kauto Star and Denman. On the other hand he's only a second season chaser and the best is probably still to come.

What did he say? Im curious now.

BG is some distance my fav jockey both as a rider and a analyst.

My initial reaction is that it is a good Gold Cup. I did say earlier in the season it might be ordinary and it's maybe ended up a couple of pounds better.

Long Run is done. Sir Des Champs is Wayward Lad reincarnate. Silviniaco Conti fell. I'll check the full result later but I suspect lines with the beaten horses will put Bobs Worth in the 175-177 category. Short of Best Mate and some way short of Kauto Star and Denman. On the other hand he's only a second season chaser and the best is probably still to come.

I don't think you understand horse racing if you think Long Run is done. You seem of the betting shop thinking - 'Winner is good, the rest useless'.

Long Run was best summed up by Steve Mellish - Long Run is an astoundingly consistent low 170s horse, and you need to be a bloody good horse to beat him. There was 2 of those today.

Long Run is possibly the most consistent horse in training and one of the favourites for the King George.

And, on a separate note, what a great ride SWC gave him.

If you want to see understandable reactions to the last 24 hours, Geraghty and McManus were good examples.

Cheers Granger. I was stood next to SWC when he was interviewed at sandown last week (they needed someone good looking to keep the audience figures steady) and he was eloquence and charm itself. You had to warm to him and he was great with the those in the crowd too. For that reason alone im pleased that he rode a fine race today

Last edited:
Short blunt stubborn answers

Interviewer- You were unlucky to fall

RW - no, got up ok, lucky

To be fair, the interviewer was Rishi Persaud. If the TV companies insist on giving the numpties the job of interviewing Ruby after a race he's lost (cf Thommo after Denman's GC), what do people expect?

Short blunt stubborn answers

Interviewer- You were unlucky to fall

RW - no, got up ok, lucky

I didn't hear the interview but isn't this typical of him.

Whenever anyone makes a point to him he will never say yes I agree with that - I think it is a superiority thing - only he can offer the correct opinion.

Long Run is done.

I agree it was a good Gold Cup. The winner and runner up are up to standard for me. But Long Run done? He has never finished out of the frame in his life (which includes three Gold Cups) and has run a blinder from the front, setting the race up for the others. His jumping was very good when he was asked and he managed most of the others okay. "Done"!!! Just one race ago he won his second KG... there's plenty left for another day Mo. He remains in the top handful of horses in training!

Last edited:
Agree that it was a good Gold Cup. I think that Dessie got it spot on when he said that better than average...just off Best Mate's standard but behind the Kauto / Denman years.

Agreed that Long Run was given a decent ride.

I actually think that SC was going very well but (I backed him) it would be hard to imagine him staying up the hill as well as the winner.

Compared with how he was running when he won it, I mean. He hardly been within 10lbs of it since. A bit like The Fellow, L'Ami, etc. They seem to hit a peak, then plateau out some way below that.

Maybe if they can get him into the JLT next season off 155...

Long Run and Sizing Europe both have amazingly consistent records over fences.

Too admirable horses. The problem with Long Run is that he was over-rated the year he won the Gold Cup. I don't think he is "gone" at all. He has just stopped improving and maybe he has regressed a pound or two.

Back