Road to the Champion Hurdle 19/20

Cornerstone Lad is a G1 winner, DJ. I think he is too easily rubbished. Every single CH winner has been decent over the years, and the placed horses have proved decent enough over time.

Cornerstone Lad is a G1 winner, DJ. I think he is too easily rubbished. Every single CH winner has been decent over the years, and the placed horses have proved decent enough over time.

Cornerstone Lad wouldn’t place in any renewal of the Champion Hurdle over the years. That said this isn’t a normal renewal. I just still can’t have him, or just don’t want to believe it.

31 horses stand their ground

attachment.php

Attachments

• Temp.jpg
    Temp.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 95
No disrespect. But when Cornerstone Lad and Thomas Darby are getting mentioned as contenders, you know the race is fucked.

TD was second in a Supreme, and won a handicap off top-weight/151 on his first hurdles outing in open company. Ignore his two chase runs, and it’s the kind of profile that would usually command plenty of respect - even moreso in a weak race.

A very similar profile to Buveur D'air when he was switched back to this and won. On ratings there wouldn't be a lot between the two of them at the same stage of their career, and if anything Thomas' Darby's win last time was better than Buveur D'air beating Rayvin Black a length when getting weight.

I'm late to the party with him but I'm in.

The big difference between the two was that Buveur D’Air was winning his chases. Thomas Darby couldn’t handle fences at all.

It’s also hard to get a gauge on that Supreme form really. Klassical Dream has stayed over hurdles and has been poor since whereas everything else has gone chasing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had a proper re-set with this race now after watching every horse I fancy fall by the wayside, and I've come to the conclusion I've just been missing the obvious. The single best bit of form this season was Epatante at Christmas, and her Newbury form in November also stands up to scrutiny. She's needs forgiving her run in the mares novice last year, but they made valid excuses for her in that race, and if I strike a line through it her profile is good.

I've been ignoring her almost as though she's not in the market because I couldn't get my head around her being clear market leader after Christmas, but the complexion of this race has changed completely now, and I think she's worthy of her place and price. There is nothing else that has a race in the book this season (except perhaps Honesuckle), that is of the standard to be a genuine Champion Hurdle contender. And that's kind of it really. There's nothing coming from the clouds that I'm aware of unless Envoi Allen is switched here.

So, unlike Honeysuckle, she only has this entry when she could have had the same alternative of the mares race. Which suggests they think she's up to running well in a normal edition of this race. However, we all suspect the race isn't up to scratch. That being the case she has to go close to winning doesn't she? I wouldn't be suggesting backing her at 3's or less right now because I think she'll be no shorter than that on the day, particularly with the real possible of a big field with everyone fancying their chances. I do think I'll be backing her though.

What were the excuses given after the Cheltenham flop last year for Epatante? After mulling over all alternatives I’m siding with her two and am prepared to forgive her that run last year but would be interested to hear what they said after last years race.

Ciliaos Emery entered in the Red Mills Hurdle Race at Gowran. He hardly holds a CH entry?

Lads we don't even know the final field yet because there will be horses supplemented. CALM DOWN. She could be 4/1 on the day.

Last edited:
Ciliaos Emery entered in the Red Mills Hurdle Race at Gowran. He hardly holds a CH entry?

This was covered 2 pages ago. He is an intended runner in the CH provided he runs well at Gowran. Would be supplemented at the 6 day stage along with any others who fancy taking a shot.

Last edited:
This was covered 2 pages ago. He is an intended runner in the CH provided he runs well at Gowran. Would be supplemented at the 6 day stage along with any others who fancy taking a shot.

Thanks Slim. Not getting as much time these days to get on here as much as I’d like.

Out of all the festival races this is the one that I'll be steering a wide berth of until nearer the day.

Any of the possible, but unlikely to run, entered horses could yet turn up, e.g. Envoi Allen and that's without considering a surprise supplementary or two. IMO at the current prices there's only potential for those near the head of the market to lengthen and not shorten.

Last edited:
The margin they are betting the race to is crazy when you consider it will be bet to close enough to 100% on the day.

Last edited:
Fusil Raffles to miss the Kingwell on Saturday owing to soft ground and will go for the CH with maybe a racecourse gallop somewhere beforehand.

Abas looks a potential very good horse

I adore seeing green bumper horses like him become a man

He has stepped up every day so far, remains to be seen how he handles the travel and festivities but he sure is one to be excited about

Back