Road To The Champion Hurdle

I was talking about Leppardstown.

Ah thought Ladbrokes were betting place only on the Champion Hurdle. Dunguib will love this ground at Leopardstown but still I wouldn't be overly keen on backing him first time up knowing his jumping can be very sticky. There will be no hiding place. Even Voler would be a threat for the place money.

As defending Champion and back in from, I think Binocular deserves to be favourite.

He''ll do for me anyway. Outside of Hurrican Fly, there is nothing that would have you quaking in your boots and HF needs to prove he can beat something other than Solwhit (that is not a criticism of HF as he can only beat what races against him).

6/1 with Ladbrokes-3 places makes Dunguib the ew opportunity of the year in my opinion.

That was my thinking too but there has been no queue at doors to get on the price. Probably because he was double entered. It's not hard to see him going of 10/3 o 7/2.

I thought considering he is being brought to his peak in March and that the ground was softer than he likes Binocular was mighty impressive yesterday and he jumped superbly again.

Deserves to be favourite and I think he will win .

Dunguib will either suprise with a powerful round or fall apart as his so so jumping kicks in. im not an ew player, but would prefer to back a steadier prospect for a place

Shaping up to be a fine race. Binocular was really on toes and looking fit yesterday. to my very untrained eye, i thought Khyber Kim might have needed it a bit

Some of Willies horses have been slightly below par lately-and he said that HF wasn't great in the paddock at Leopardstown -I wouldn't be surprised if he missed the race.Ladbrokes are also best price.

I thought considering he is being brought to his peak in March and that the ground was softer than he likes Binocular was mighty impressive yesterday and he jumped superbly again.

If Binocular is really only 75% ish ready, then he's a cert bar a fall surely:confused::confused:

Some of Willies horses have been slightly below par lately-and he said that HF wasn't great in the paddock at Leopardstown -I wouldn't be surprised if he missed the race.Ladbrokes are also best price.

6/1 is a very good offer 1/4 1-2-3, HF needs the hurdling practise but will probably run, which will be three relatively quick runs for him - light framed horse would seem to need time between his races. Is there to be shot at next weekend.

Binocular was really on toes and looking fit yesterday. to my very untrained eye, i thought Khyber Kim might have needed it a bit

I agree with clivex, Binocular looked really tuned for yesterday, so much so that I abandoned my plan to oppose him. He was on his toes, his veins were standing out and his head was tucked. Add to that the current form of the Henderson yard and it might be dangerous to assume there's much more improvement to come. He mightn't have liked the ground very much but he would have been well suited by the good pace to the race.

My guess is that he'll be ready at Cheltenham to perform to the same level as last year, and the question is whether something else in the field might better it.

I agree with Grey here - 75% my stones! He was ready and was on his game - the right money came for him late - he looked (on TV) properly tight and muscular and very good in his coat! He was ridden like he was ready and they wanted to win unlike in the Fighting Fifth. He is the Champ but has a 1 from 3 record in Championship races at Cheltenham. While wouldn't be shocked if he won - think he is up against it with the new brigade!

If you look at Binocular's progression last season to this season, he's a good four or five lengths better in my opinion, at the same time of year. For me, he has everything. Speed, jumping, stamina. Peddlers is the one I would be afraid of on the same basis. Not sure about Hurricane Fly as he's never been fully tested.

I agree with Grey here - 75% my stones! He was ready and was on his game - the right money came for him late - he looked (on TV) properly tight and muscular and very good in his coat!

That he was - he was tight and fit, a different horse to the one that ran at Newbury.

If you look at Binocular's progression last season to this season, he's a good four or five lengths better in my opinion, at the same time of year. For me, he has everything. Speed, jumping, stamina. Peddlers is the one I would be afraid of on the same basis. Not sure about Hurricane Fly as he's never been fully tested.

Agree with this. Is there really only a 1 in 4 chance (or even less) that Binocular wins the Champion Hurdle? He has a much better chance for me.

I am sure he was a great deal fitter than at Newbury but he was not near his peak and he is better on good ground . Starluck also may be better on good ground but the turnaround was striking from Newbury and I am sure KK needed the run .

As much as I admire Peddler's Cross I think Binocular will have too much speed for him.

Binocular just looked to be idling up the run in and I suspect McCain is clutching at straws when he said he thought Binocular might be the sort of horse that does not find much off the bridle - was he in the bar when last year's CH was being run ?

6/1 with Ladbrokes-3 places makes Dunguib the ew opportunity of the year in my opinion.

Had a crack at reducing that 6/1 today but the price still stands!:o Ladbrokes have taken a couple of strong views on this race 1) They want to lay HF and Dunguib and 2) The don't want to take one cent on Solwit. Why so? Have Mr Byrnes crew smashed into him or has word leaked that they are about to? Surely he cannot turn around form with HF.

Binocular was definitely as fit as he could be for saturday. He stood out and as grey said you could see the veins on him he was so tight. They rode him the right way on Saturday and he won pretty easy as well so I expect similar tactics come march.

Despite that I'm in the peddlers cross camp. I think he has it all, just like binocular but is a better price. McCain clearly believes PC is a fair bit better than overturn so I think he remains the value.

I think people are looking the wrong way in terms of potential Champion Hurdlers reappearing this weekend. Soldatino was impressive at Kempton, and impressive at Cheltenham, and looks to have an awful lot of room for improvement. Whether it be as an each way bet (33/1) or as a potential trade, this horse has massive potential and there is no way he should be the price he is relative to Dunguib. Looking forward to seeing him back in action, and I'd have a fair wedge on him should he line up at Ascot off 148.

Last years 4 year old form looks pretty average in comparison to the Supreme form - perhaps I am missing something.

Soldatino has only run twice for Henderson so first of all I would say he is open to improvement. However, I think the Triumph doesn't look too bad. For me, there were 2 separate races - Barizan, and everything else. In terms of 'everything else', Soldatino doesn't come out of the race looking too bad at all:

- he beat Alaivan rated 146 by 8 lengths.
- he beat Carlito Brigante rated 140 (then rated 147) 11.5 lengths
- he beat Barwell Bridge then rated 130 (now rated 139) by 15 lengths

This puts him comfortably into the 150s, which is quite something for a twice raced (in the UK) 4 year old - I can't imagine too many recent Triumph winners have very much at all on him. Looks very classy based on his Kempton run, and Cheltenham showed different qualities, namely stamina, a good attitude and he is a winner of a Championship race there. He looks well worth a few bucks each way at 33s.

Last edited:
:lol: I'm the same almost but different horses

Binocular
Hurricane Fly
Menorah
Oscar Whisky
Soldatino

From memory - that Triumph Hurdle was spread out like a point to point with the winner basically outstaying the field. Looks far from a 2m4f plus horse to me. What distance is the Ascot race - he reminds me of Zaynar.

Soldatino has only run twice for Henderson so first of all I would say he is open to improvement. However, I think the Triumph doesn't look too bad. For me, there were 2 separate races - Barizan, and everything else. In terms of 'everything else', Soldatino doesn't come out of the race looking too bad at all:

- he beat Alaivan rated 146 by 8 lengths.
- he beat Carlito Brigante rated 140 (then rated 147) 11.5 lengths
- he beat Barwell Bridge then rated 130 (now rated 139) by 15 lengths

This puts him comfortably into the 150s, which is quite something for a twice raced (in the UK) 4 year old - I can't imagine too many recent Triumph winners have very much at all on him. Looks very classy based on his Kempton run, and Cheltenham showed different qualities, namely stamina, a good attitude and he is a winner of a Championship race there. He looks well worth a few bucks each way at 33s.

Back