Road To The Champion Hurdle

Jason Maguire rides Peddlers Cross.

The winner of this year's CH... I don't know why those who have already backed him have gone all weak at the knees. He has done nothing wrong and will put it to bed for once and for all.... he has a serious turn of foot!:ninja:

Last edited:
The winner of this year's CH... I don't know why those who have already backed him have gone all weak at the knees. He has done nothing wrong and will put it to bed for once and for all.... he has a serious turn of foot!:ninja:

Place lay alert he is gonna get taken off the bridle very early and that will be the end for him in that race. Won't be the end of the world though as he'll be a hell of a chaser.

I keep reading how Peddlers Cross will win..with no one saying how come

the most obvious negative for me is that he has won the worst CH trial..the Fighting Fifth

One of the reasons that race is now useless as a CH trial ..or an indictor of any greatness...imo is that those that win it..are solely targetted at it and it is now a weak race due to the fact that no top notchers run in it..unless its their first run of the season..there is no way an established horse is 100% at that stage in the season..in this age of steadily bringing horses to peak at Cheltenham

the fighting fifth now contains..lower than top class..or top class unfits

i'm not saying Peddlers Cross is lower than top class..but there is no way imo that winning the FF is any great shakes for the reasons i've given..thsose he beat there are not of the required class or are shaking the cobwebs off..if this in doubt ...check the last 20 years worth of the race.

so..apart from the mickey mouse FF..what other piece of form makes PC such a great chance in the CH?

Last edited:
Ah come off it EC with the FF rubbish. That's not conclusive proof he won't win the CH. Are you saying he'd have a better chance winning the CH if he was beaten in the FF??? What sense does that make?? All he can do is beat whats in front of him and he is the only one in the field to have done that every time he has ran. If you are talking about good trials for the CH you seem to forget that the Neptune is one of the best!! I understand from DMcC that he (admittedly) along with Binocular were not fully tuned at Newbury but he still went and performed to a 160++ mark at least.

That would probably not be good enough to win a decent CH but he has more scope for improvement than anything in the race and as you like seeing a horses potential before the masses then this may be an obvious case in point -I fear not for his perceived lack of pace but for his jumping - that if anything will catch him out on the big day - he will keep finding when the others have had enough - he has what I love in a horse a bit of size and loads of guts!! If he had beaten Binocular at Kempton instead of Newbury would he still be freely available at 6/1??

Last edited:
Ah come off it EC with the FF rubbish. That's not conclusive proof he won't win the CH. Are you saying he'd have a better chance winning the CH if he was beaten in the FF??? What sense does that make?? All he can do is beat whats in front of him and he is the only one in the field to have done that every time he has ran.

there isn't such a thing as conclusive proof re anything about horses..can't argue with that

the FF argument is a valid one imo..its backed up by logic and tbh its hard to argue against it you know.:)

Yes..i'm saying that being beat in the FF is probably a better sign that a horse will win the CH..because the last 20 odd winners won because that was a target race for them...others that use the FF are the cobweb blowers..they don't give a fook about winning the race.

winning every race you run in doesn't make you a CH winner..I can run in 100 yard dashes with folk who need the aid of sticks and beat them everytime... but Bolt would beat me by about 92 yards

Last edited:
If ever there was a case of a thread being done to the death this is it. There is nothing left to argue and they're are few if any floating voters. Giue it a rest until we at least have the official going for the race.

Well said, Gearoid. I think, in direct contrast to other threads, everyone bar you has gotten on my nerves in this Champion Hurdle discussion.

I am a floating voter, still. I had 25 quid e/w on Khyber Kim at 16/1 over Christmas and nothing else in the race. I think Binocular will probably win.

If ever there was a case of a thread being done to the death this is it. There is nothing left to argue and they're are few if any floating voters

Just came on to type same thing. Bit exhausted now I think and full of floaters rather than floating voters perhaps

I was going to say the same thing about ten pages back, but I'm physically incapable of giving EC1 the last word. :D

Apologies for being a (willing) participant in the barneys, and for sometimes dragging this off-topic. My main reflection is that it looks close enough on paper, and regardless of who we may fancy individually, I'm sure we can agree that it will be desperately disappointing if this race doesn't turn out to be a crackerjack. :cool:

Last edited:
Grasshopper;408359I'm sure we can agree that it will be desperately disappointing if this race doesn't turn out to be a crackerjack. [/QUOTE said:
...how on Earth can you say that!

Will Ruby replace Townend? Would be hard on Townend at this stage but if I had a choice of the two for a Grade 1, I think it would be Ruby every time. So maybe not that difficult a decision. And as Russell said the other night "get over it, Ruby is the best".

well the thread gets criticised at top of this page..but in reality..and no offence to any of the posters above..but those types of posts bore me to tears tbh..i don't give a fook who rides em

see..it horses for courses..what some of you think is shite..i like and vice versa;)

Back