Road To The Champion Hurdle

A horse able to win again after 21 months off the track and who spent 11 weeks in Lambourn recovering from his serious injuries after his Cheltenham fall might not have been lacking in the bravery department.

Being a bridle horse does not mean the horse is not brave or is not putting it all in . Harchibald is a prime example he was putting it all in on the bridle which is why sometimes he found so little off it.

Exactly, well put. The putting down of horses such as Harchibald is a very lazy conclusion to come to.

Exactly, well put. The putting down of horses such as Harchibald is a very lazy conclusion to come to.

Or in the case of Harchibald. Most efficient. make no mistake, he was a top-class, grade 1 hurdler. But he was also prime bridle mince. Physical or mental, I don't know or need to, the effect rather than the cause was what we dealt with.

After all that you say ignore the stat and that PC is too slow!!!!

:lol: Come on EC :rolleyes:

ok - he's a super speed horse:)

you making me laugh..just because one horse won a weak CH doesn't make the stat worthless....you might need to credit me with a bit more brain than to not look at his form as well..the stat is still a strong one..but do you think i 100% rely on stats?.

i have not yet read any reason why PC is good enough just on form to win the CH..then there is the evidence he needs further..then he still has the stat to overcome..one hell of a lot of FF winners have failed to win the CH..the race is very early to be a reliable guide

out of all the people on here i think you know i rarely base my bets on past race stats..do you ever read the todays fancys thread?:)

Last edited:
I fancy either Binocular or Menorah to win. But if one does prove good enough to beat them I think it could be Peddler’s Cross.
However, this is on the potential I see in him rather than what he has done. EC1 has a valid point in that he has not proved he’s either quick or good enough. I believe PC may well be good enough, but this is not proven.

Last edited:
I fancy either Binocular or Menorah to win. But if one does prove good enough to beat them I think it could be Peddler’s Cross.
However, this is on the potential I see in him rather than what he has done. EC1 has a valid point in that he has not proved he’s either quick or good enough. I believe PC may well be good enough, but this is not proven.

i know nobody here uses stats..i do with races like this because i think they can be useful ...but the Supreme Novice stat against Menorah is stronger than the FF one for me Steve..is he going to face up to a tough challenge like this with just two runs since nursery school under his belt?

add to that that he still has to improve as do others of course.

so many ifs and buts isn't there really?

tbh thats why I am happy to play two big priced ones against the front 4..there is no way I could have a large bet on any of the first 4.. not one of them is superior enough to the others to warrant it at their prices

I'm certainly not against stats, but be careful of isolating them. Menorah has plenty of stats in his favour for this, not least his age and that he has has won or been placed at the Festival before running in the Champion. Therefore I don't think we can hold it against him that he managed to win the Supreme.

In the end you have to stick with what you know though. If you see just cause in opposing certain horses do so. At least in Menorah's case I think you are wrong. I suspect you are also wrong about Peddler's Cross, but certainly wouldn't deny you pointing out the doubts.

Last edited:

I'm with you, though would swap Oscar for Peddlers. I think there shouldn't be too much between their prices really, as they are all about potential. Peddlers is priced up as if he has already reached that level, and hence is, for me, a horrendous bet at single figures.

Did anyone read Richard Johnson in the RP On Sunday? It sums up the race very well. He basically said that Menorah is the most exciting horse he has ever ridden and he thinks he will win the Champion Hurdle but he would also expect the same answer from AP McCoy and Jason Maguire. Throw Twiston-Davies 'forgotten horse' vibes about Khyber Kim, the fanciful confidence behind Dunguib not necessarily backed up by the formbook, the 'certainty' factor coming from the Irish contingent about Hurricane Fly and you have a conundrum that stats are not going to solve.

I'll be drinking a pint of cider probably without a bet but by God it will be just as exciting when they get to the bottom of the hill. May the best horse win.

Did anyone read Richard Johnson in the RP On Sunday? It sums up the race very well...
...I'll be drinking a pint of cider probably without a bet but by God it will be just as exciting when they get to the bottom of the hill. May the best horse win.

We’ll how well he summed it up after the race… but I know what you mean. I’ll be looking in two or three places myself about then… let’s hope it’s as exciting when you get to the bottom of your pint!

Binocular's price has tightened up the last few days and there is 10K looking to back him at 4.5 on Betfair. 10/3 is now top price with Stan James, Tote and Sportingbet. Has there been positive reports in recent days?

Binocular's price has tightened up the last few days and there is 10K looking to back him at 4.5 on Betfair. 10/3 is now top price with Stan James, Tote and Sportingbet. Has there been positive reports in recent days?

More common sense I would say! He is the only horse that has hit 170+, and if he runs his race, he is no bigger than 6/4 with me.

Back