Road To The Champion Hurdle

Thanks OTB - you too, will be there on the Tuesday with a mate from back home paying his first visit to Cheltenham so hoping for a profitable day.

You going by any chance?

No unfortunately, still won't be able to sleep from about Saturday though, trying to find a quiet place to watch the CH on Tuesday... preferably with padded walls :D Enjoy the day.

Stan James Champion Hurdle Challenge Trophy Grade 1 (CLASS 1)(4yo+) 31 runners 2m110y Good To Soft

11-311 Binocular 7 11-10 Nicky Henderson
P46U02 Bygones Of Brid 8 11-10 Karen McLintock
11144 Clerk´s Choice 5 11-10 Michael Banks Tom Molloy
1136-1 Dunguib 8 11-10 Philip Fenton
31-111 Hurricane Fly 7 11-10 W P Mullins
1121-4 Khyber Kim 9 11-10 Nigel Twiston-Davies Paddy Brennan
212-11 Menorah 6 11-10 Philip Hobbs
1-5211 Mille Chief 5 11-10 Alan King Robert Thornton
114-11 Oscar Whisky 6 11-10 Nicky Henderson
1-2125 Overturn 7 11-10 Donald McCain
111-11 Peddlers Cross 6 11-10 Donald McCain
132-1B Salden Licht 7 11-10 Alan King Wayne Hutchinson
13-743 Thousand Stars 7 11-10 W P Mullins

Source: Racing Post

Last edited:
I thought Dunguib's jumping looked to have improved immensely last time out.

Will be interesting to see if his jockey rides him slightly 'differently' on this visit to Cheltenham.

With better jumping and a better ride, and a formline through Menorah, he could go close.

don't you think it odd that i can keep banging in the winners with my incorrect thinking Grass?

i must be one hell of a lucky person

Your success in betting is no consequence to me whatsoever, though I obviously hope that you are successful - in the same way as I hope everyone else on here is successful.

lets get this right..you know EXACTLY how good each contender is this year.. you know none of them bar one is capable of a 170+..you must obviously think Binocular is up to it or you would have highlighted the apparent silliness ..in your mind..of Hamm's post in suggesting B is a 170 horse..lets see... I am openminded enough to accept there may be a star lurking..but you know for a fact there isn't..you very clever then aren't you?

I've said everything I intend saying regarding the Champion Hurdle and it's outcome. I just thought that you had contradicted yourself. Maybe I read ot wrong.

are you sure that you aren't like a few others here and just keep aiming the digs at me when others are left alone..no matter how daft their posts are

I get less fun out of jousting with others, but for the record, Hamm is just one guy recently I've had verbals with on here - but as in your case, malice is never inferred, intended, implied, or in the equation at all.

similarily earlier..Gearoid pulls me for laughing at Steve's post..then has a joke with him..but puts a snidey comment at me..its there in black and white

One for Gearoid I think, though given his previous comments about the direction the thread took, he may wisely not choose to reply.

its not victim syndrome either..i think you and one or two on here PURPOSELY pull my posts.

Please refer to my previous answer. "Purposely" - let alone the capitalised version - couldn't be further from the truth.

the problem you have..is that mostly i see is a lot of hot air from folk who rarely put up winning selections having a dig at someone who does.

I don't bet every day. Far from it in fact. I will occassionaly put up a selection, and refer you to a couple of Saturday's ago, when I tipped an ex-French juvenile at 20's, and it was smashed off the board into 15/2 later in the day - and was humped :lol:. However, I feel no particular compunction or obligation to try and put one up every day - I'm rather too busy for form study most days, and I'd rather not guess.

of course i might be wrong..but i defy anyone to read the last page and let me know i don't get treated differently to the "crowd" on here.

You clearly feel there is a problem. Hopefully not one so great that you jack it on here.

If there is a "crowd" on here, I strongly suspect that I'm not a part of it. No fucker would have me.

don't come back with some bolloxy analysis of my personality either...its all in black and white here

No problemo, schizo. :D

lots of people read this forum..but don't post..one of the reasons for that is that in the main this board is viewed as over cliquey..and it is

Their loss. It's really not that bad, imo. About the usual quotient of electronic wankers (and I'm happy to count myself amongst their number) in my view.

i just wish some of the people who don't post would like to pass a comment on how they view the carry on here with how rude ignorant and biased some of you are.

Maybe they don't post because they don't view it that way? Maybe they don't post because their intimidated by the knowledge-base here, and the amount of winners communally "banged-in" by the members?

Quote:
similarily earlier..Gearoid pulls me for laughing at Steve's post..then has a joke with him..but puts a snidey comment at me..its there in black and white
One for Gearoid I think, though given his previous comments about the direction the thread took, he may wisely not choose to reply.

I would gladly reply but I can't find the 'offending' post.

I would gladly reply but I can't find the 'offending' post.

http://talkinghorses.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=16427&page=8

post 157

you quote my post..and ignored Steve's..you are so put out by his suggestion but aim the response at me

a classic example of what happens to me on a regular basis

i'm not discussing it anymore anyway..but don't feel too smug about thinking its smart to single people out for "treatment"

this ain't the first time i've brought this up with you either

lets leave it alone..i've said my piece get back to the racing or someone will be moaning about tiresome posts..i too get tired of "tiresome" treatment

So I laughed at the same post that you did and you consider that 'treatment'. I have simply quoted the wrong post.

Last edited:
I see Peddlers came through his last schooling session with flying colours. Sincerely hope his jumping holds up..... I have told everybody I have met since November to back him.... I have even stopped strangers on the street... Instead of putting loose change in beggars cups I've been putting in €2 reverse forecasts with Menorah ffs!!! The time is near ...... :cool:

I see Peddlers came through his last schooling session with flying colours. Sincerely hope his jumping holds up..... I have told everybody I have met since November to back him.... I have even stopped strangers on the street... Instead of putting loose change in beggars cups I've been putting in €2 reverse forecasts with Menorah ffs!!! The time is near ...... :cool:

Sounds like me with Hurricane :)

I was just thinking about Binocular lying in bed last night actually. It's amazing how much - and perhaps more pertinently, for how long - his Supreme run coloured my view of him; up until his run in last year's Champion I had him down as a 'speed' horse, despite all of the evidence since that Supreme pointing firmly to the contrary - that is, to a horse that relishes every yard of a stiff two miles.

Last year's Champion still sets the standard in form terms as far as I am concerned. As much as he rates an unreliable 'marker' horse, those dismissing last year's renewal on the basis of the proximity of Zaynar (no names mentioned, though my mouse is hovering over you, Grasshopper... :D) are towing a fairly dangerous line in my book. The strength of that form, as well as the fact nothing he has done this year points to him being unable to reproduce that form, makes Binocular a worthy favourite in my book.

I haven't a clue what to make of Hurricane Fly or Peddlers Cross if I'm honest. I think Solwhit is a better horse than Hamm believes (and I would tend to agree with Grasshopper that Hurricane Fly has won with a bit up his sleeve), though I have found the riding tactics aboard the Byrnes horse slightly bizarre this year given his proven stamina and the fact that he ran Hurricane Fly to a head last year at Punchestown given a more positive ride.

The McCain horse remains all potential. My initial reaction to his Fighting Fifth victory was that he had put up a serious performance to beat Starluck in a relatively steadily run race that should have suited the Fleming horse. On watching it again tonight, he has arguably been better positioned than Starluck given the way the race was run and I am just slightly hesitant to extrapolate potential improvement from a steadily run race.

Menorah is one I am against. The notion that he 'needs' a strong pace is something of a red herring for me; whilst he may well improve for a genuine pace I would be of the opinion that others will improve - or prove better suited by it - significantly than him*. A beating of two horses who were far more inconvenienced by the steady pace of the Bula than he is far from rock solid form. I totally accept that he may have strengthened since last year's Supreme, but I am actually unconvinced that Menorah will last up the hill off a searching pace.

Oscar Whisky is yet another with bags of potential, though his beating of stayers** in a steadily run affair at Cheltenham is relatively unconvincing form given some of the other form on offer. For all that I'm a big Dunguib fan, I'm not entirely convinced he's a huge fan of jumping hurdles at pace. If this race was over 2m on the flat at Newmarket I would make him second favourite and I can't deny I've had a score at 20's just in case I'm wrong.

In summary, I haven't a fucking clue. Binocular rates the most likely winner, and Menorah is too short in the market. Roll on Tuesday...

*I thought it was potentially interesting that Hobbs said after the Bula that he was surprised how well the horse had handled a steady pace given he had previously considered him more of a stayer.

**FWIW, I thought Celestial Halo looked far too free off the relatively steady gallop that day and as a result didn't quite get home.

Very good summary Trackside - fits in perfectly with my bets.

Binocular to win

Peddlars Cross e/way - on trainers words at start of season.

Lay Menorah for a place.

The only danger of not making a profit is the rest of the field :blink:

I was just thinking about Binocular lying in bed last night actually. It's amazing how much - and perhaps more pertinently, for how long - his Supreme run coloured my view of him; up until his run in last year's Champion I had him down as a 'speed' horse, despite all of the evidence since that Supreme pointing firmly to the contrary - that is, to a horse that relishes every yard of a stiff two miles.

Last year's Champion still sets the standard in form terms as far as I am concerned. As much as he rates an unreliable 'marker' horse, those dismissing last year's renewal on the basis of the proximity of Zaynar (no names mentioned, though my mouse is hovering over you, Grasshopper... :D) are towing a fairly dangerous line in my book. The strength of that form, as well as the fact nothing he has done this year points to him being unable to reproduce that form, makes Binocular a worthy favourite in my book.

I haven't a clue what to make of Hurricane Fly or Peddlers Cross if I'm honest. I think Solwhit is a better horse than Hamm believes (and I would tend to agree with Grasshopper that Hurricane Fly has won with a bit up his sleeve), though I have found the riding tactics aboard the Byrnes horse slightly bizarre this year given his proven stamina and the fact that he ran Hurricane Fly to a head last year at Punchestown given a more positive ride.

The McCain horse remains all potential. My initial reaction to his Fighting Fifth victory was that he had put up a serious performance to beat Starluck in a relatively steadily run race that should have suited the Fleming horse. On watching it again tonight, he has arguably been better positioned than Starluck given the way the race was run and I am just slightly hesitant to extrapolate potential improvement from a steadily run race.

I'm with you upto here - I do think Menorah has the potential to win it though, The first 3 in the market dominate my thoughts for the likely winner, although I do give Dunguib an excellent place chance and will back accordingly.

If it's half the race we all hope for, it'll be a cracker.

Those beggars won't be getting their fags and White lightening Tuesday night then!

Back