Road to the Gold Cup 2011

Interesting to see that they are persevering with Neptune Collonges . He looked a shadow of his former self behind Midnight Chase.

Don't worry folks if you haven't got any 5's, wait until they've jumped the third. Or if you want 8's, hold on until the seventh. Just pulling your leg Steve.

I'll be waiting until the week of the race before I bet on this. If the ground is looking like it'll be good i'm gonna give Kauto one final chance. Whenever he encounters sticky or soft ground against top class opponents he seems to fall a few pounds short. Given proper good ground I still think he is the best 3m chaser around.

I think Imperial Commander is a worthy favourite though and will probably be in the first two regardless of ground conditions.

Whenever he encounters sticky or soft ground against top class opponents he seems to fall a few pounds short.

Kauto Star is 7 from 7 on ground officially described as soft in Graded races in Britain and Ireland. In fact the only time he's been beaten on soft ground in Britain and Ireland was when narrowly beaten by Mistral De La Couer in a novice chase at Exeter. Not sure theground was to blame there either.

Last edited:
...put it like this, you can't have any of mine!:p

Please please - I'll take back all those unkind words!! Looks like you've gotten a bit of value at least Steve - you already have a moral victory over us heathens!! The very best of luck on the bet - I followed Nick Mordin's view on him both before and after the Cleeve last year - more so after much to my disgust. He has fewer to boss than you even originally thought now! Only one serious threat left.

Don't know why they wont ride him up with the pace instead of having to make up 800 lengths over the last fence. Yes he may not be able to go it but why not take the chance.

:( ...they reckon they didn't go fast enough for him and that he might as well go for the Gold Cup. He looked like Dayjur in the last couple of furlongs.

McCoy wrung the last drop from Neptune and it took McCoy and a horse like Neptune to hold him off. Tidal was always getting there. As Hamm says he is entertaining! The two top rated horses finished second and first so we shouldn't have been too surprised.

You rarely see horses come up the Cheltenham hill like this one. 50/1 for the Gold Cup. I can see him running into something if he can climb round first.

You rarely see horses come up the Cheltenham hill like this one. 50/1 for the Gold Cup. I can see him running into something if he can climb round first.

Jeez - some people are gluttons for it. :)

He'd be even further back in a better race, Steve. Give it up!

FWIW, I've had a small play at 60 for the Nash. I'm not convinced he'd get round, but the nature of the track and fences might keep him interested, and as EC1 suggests, he shapes very-much like a thorough stayer these days.

Last edited:
:( ...they reckon they didn't go fast enough for him and that he might as well go for the Gold Cup. He looked like Dayjur in the last couple of furlongs.

McCoy wrung the last drop from Neptune and it took McCoy and a horse like Neptune to hold him off. Tidal was always getting there. As Hamm says he is entertaining! The two top rated horses finished second and first so we shouldn't have been too surprised.

Running into something . A brick wall ?

He is much more likely to be pulled up than in the frame.

Running into something . A brick wall ?

He is much more likely to be pulled up than in the frame.

...which presumably is why he's 50/1. I thought Kauto might not jump round last year and he was odds on. I certainly see a bigger chance of Tidal Bay being placed this year than Kauto Star doing the same. Despite being an awkward jumper he has never fallen or been pulled up in 28 races.

Last edited:
Kauto Star is actually shorter now on Betfair than Denman.

DoubleFacePalm.jpg

Even at their respective peaks (and of course we have recentish evidence that Denman is still close to his) The Tank was always a better bet for the Gold Cup.

Kauto Star is actually shorter now on Betfair than Denman.

DoubleFacePalm.jpg

Even at their respective peaks (and of course we have recentish evidence that Denman is still close to his) The Tank was always a better bet for the Gold Cup.

Same as last year (despite Kauto being in better shape then than now)... you shouldn't be surprised. The market's got it wrong again, this year seemingly very wrong.

Last edited:
Back