Road to the Gold Cup 2011

That is a lazy viewpoint, IMHO. He is just a better horse now, and jumped better lto than his previous Feltham run at Kempton, giving every reason to believe he will leave his previous course form behind. And, as GH points out, this is quite good in itself. Plus, at his age, he is still open to considerable improvement.

his two best wins were at kempton..is that significant in itself though?

With regard to Denmans latest op, I keep wondering what happened in the dark days before horses had wind ops on a regular basis? How many different racing results would we have seen over the years. However, my limited knowledge of such things makes me recognise the words 'hobday operation' as one that's been around for a long time.

his two best wins were at kempton..is that significant in itself though?

I think it's borderline whether his Feltham win was any better than his RSA Chase run, to be honest. He was getting a half-stone wfa at Kempton, and only 1lb from much better animals at Cheltenham.

Of course, it's entirely possible that Kempton is 'his track', and he may always prove better round there, but equally, it's perhaps a dangerous assumption to consider Cheltenham to be all against him. The emphasis on stamina at the latter venue might be more of an issue, than any inherent inability to run up to form at the track.

I think it's borderline whether his Feltham win was any better than his RSA Chase run, to be honest. He was getting a half-stone wfa at Kempton, and only 1lb from much better animals at Cheltenham.

Of course, it's entirely possible that Kempton is 'his track', and he may always prove better round there, but equally, it's perhaps a dangerous assumption to consider Cheltenham to be all against him. The emphasis on stamina at the latter venue might be more of an issue, than any inherent inability to run up to form at the track.

Cheltenham may not be all against him - to be fair it doesn't need to be..its only got to be a slight disadvantage and its takes away his edge

we have seen this so many times before..and in reverse.

there is enough for me not to back him anyway..but he proved me wrong before:)

Agreed. If it is a slight disadvantage, he seems less likely to make up the improvement he will need to trouble Imperial Commander.

The same statement applies to Diamond Harry, which is why I think the favourite is a good thing. The only 'negatives' against Imperial Commander are his age (though he is relatively lightly-raced) his minor setback prior to the originally-scheduled King George (which amounted to very little, according to the trainer), and the proximity of Tidal Bay at Haydock (where the runner-up was hugely flattered, imo).

I'm not saying IC is bullet-proof, but he has very few questions to answer as far as I'm concerned, and 7/2 is a more than fair price :cool:

Last edited:
Agreed. If it is a slight disadvantage, he seems less likely to make up the improvement he will need to trouble Imperial Commander.

The same statement applies to Diamond Harry, which is why I think the favourite is a good thing. The only 'negatives' against Imperial Commander are his age (though he is relatively lightly-raced) his minor setback prior to the originally-scheduled King George (which amounted to very little, according to the trainer), and the proximity of Tidal Bay at Haydock (where the runner-up was hugely flattered, imo).

I'm not saying IC is bullet-proof, but he has very few questions to answer as far as I'm concerned, and 7/2 is a more than fair price :cool:

that image of TB catching him is throwing a slight doubt in my mind about him tbh..its in the book with him..but is he going to be 100%?

I don't know how anyone can say with authority that Long Run doesn't act around Cheltenham and it would be rash to write him off on that basis. He's come third on both runs, once in a RSA and once in a Paddy Power, making jumping mistakes both times. He is still somewhat a dark horse in the race.

That said I still think the race is between Imperial Commander and Denman, with preference for the latter at this stage. Diamond Harry should be thereabouts but I still worry a lot about his jumping. I can see him running a good race to come fourth orr fifth.

Last edited:
I've finally decided I'm in the Long Run camp - Yogi Briesner worked with him before the King George and I'm sure I read he'll be doing some more work with him - in Yogi I trust.:)

I have to look at Gauvains efforts when racing at 2m4+ though which suggest he is below his best at those distances..if he is a 159 horse at best..his past form suggests he runs 10+lbs below his best at these trips

so RT didn't have to extend himself to beat what is in effect a 150 or worse horse at that trip

Gauvain can't cut it against the best over 2m but stayed on OK on his start before yesterday so I expected a bit of improvement rather than a regression. He was no match for RT but I took 38 on the machine about him for the Ryanair immediately after the race.

Last edited:
I am not sure you can take too much out of it . RT was professional and smart but that was all. It was a very weak renewal of the race yesterday and P of D looked to be going best of all when he met his fatal accident albeit too far out to judge accurately.

I see he's been given an RPR of 172... 1lb higher than his KG rating. both top class and consistent it would appear.

I will be having a decent bet on Long Run in the next week at 13/2 - very hard to see him out of the first 3. The gold cup is nearly always won by an improver(he is the only one in this category, along with Diamond Harry) and people are being put off by the theory he doesn't act round Cheltenham.

If you needed prompting to back Long Run, RT surely couldn't have underlined more emphatically what some of us already knew... that the KG form is solid.

Long Run's Cheltenham form is just nowhere near GC class - it is an enormous leap of faith to expect him to improve enough to win a GC.

There is nothing at all to suggest that Long Run will be anywhere else than right there in the mix in the Gold Cup. His Cheltenham form shows exactly what you would expect of an improving chaser with every chance going into a race as demanding as this. His one flaw was his jumping, but they have made excellent progress with him in that respect. He surely has excellent place chances.

If you needed prompting to back Long Run, RT surely couldn't have underlined more emphatically what some of us already knew... that the KG form is solid.

by beating a 2 miler over 2.5 miles he just showed he's still got 4 legs imo..which is consistent ..but doesn't alter anything else.

it certainly won't help LR be suited to Cheltenham..if he doesn't like it on the day

imo

This is a joke, right?

King George finishers:

Long Run - yet to run
Riverside Theatre - beat a 2 miler in a race in which the main rival died. He would have been 4/6 to beat that field without Pride of Dulcote
Kauto Star - jumped like a goat with a low-grade infection. He ran like a horse with a low-grade infection. He had a low-grade infection.
Nacarat - required an operation after the race
Planet of Sound - also required an operation after the race
Madison du Berlais - last and pulled up on his two subsequent runs

Listen, the form may be solid. Long Run may be a Gold Cup winner in waiting*. But there is nothing in he performances or welfare of any of the horses since the race to suggest it is solid form.

* Long Run is not a Gold Cup winner in waiting.

I just don't see how Steve can draw positive conclusions about the KG form on the evidence iin front of us.

I can see how the AP voucher burning a hole in his pocket can lead him to draw positive conclusions.

I haven't backed Long Run for the Gold Cup. But I'm beginning to wonder why I haven't.

by beating a 2 miler over 2.5 miles he just showed he's still got 4 legs imo..which is consistent ..but doesn't alter anything else.

Surely the evidence of your eyes suggests it was better than this. Not to mention a new personal best rating.

What it does prove is that Long Run may not be totally useless after all. He's a horse that with a bit of improvement in his jumping looks okay round Cheltenham to me.

Last edited:
And yet you have been very premature dismissing the Hennessy despite the fact that none the front three have been out since.

I think the negative for the Hennessy form (for me) is your point - I wouldn't be confident any horse can win a Gold Cup off such a break, regardless of how good they are supposed to be fresh.

So Bully you've dismissed the Hennessy and the King George, what exactly are you basing your GC predictions on?!!

Back