Road to the Gold Cup 2011

Denman was the horse who got me Jumps Raing when I first followed the festival this closely back in 2008 when I was 10, You'll always be my favourite horse Dennie!

Last edited:
I must say Denman's performance was the highlight for me in the race. Five Festivals and never worse than second. No faulting the winner. He was a bit dodgy at a good few fences but still managed to pull it out when it counts. The slightly flatter track clearly helped him compared to last two years. I just wonder would the two old boys in their pomp have repelled the younger horse? Kauto stopped very quickly after the last.

Really great race and so good to see the old boys Denman and Kauto do so well. Great performance from Long Run and Sam Waley Cohen too.

It was the best race I've seen in a long time. Denman, what a legend in defeat. Long Run, the emerging champion - and can we now please put to bed all the shit that has been said about Sam Waley-Cohen?

I thought Kauto Star was particularly terrific in defeat. The season has been a horlicks for him and although he jumped adequately at Down Royal this was the first time he had really jumped well since the 2009 KG.

I note that he was wearing a tongue strap and was withut what has become his trademark sheepskin noseband. Perhaps his wind and his age is why he got so tired and was outstayed by Long Run and Denman after looking as if he had them all on the go down the hill . As Ruby said that old kick he had and which put the race to bed in 2009 was missing .

Valiant and magnificent staying chaser as Denman is - Kauto Star was much more versatile . He was much the best 2 mile chaser around for at least two or so of the years of his pomp too .

A truly wonderful race.

Last edited:
Because of work I've just watched the full race for the first time and have to admit it was fairytale stuff but something is bothering me that it may not of been a great Gold Cup as far as ratings are concerned. I really don't want to go into that at the moment because on my own ratings on this thread it was a straight race between the first two and I'll have to watch it a dozen more times yet - it's a hard life :lol:

Well done to the winner & jockey and great to see the old boys Denman and Kauto (who I adore ) both in the places. Great stuff

So glad I was there. Long Run was superb, plenty in hand at the end and as a young horse hopefully he'll be around for a long time. Denman and Kauto both magnificent in defeat - practically three in a line over the second(?) last. They went down fighting and the reception they got coming back was great.

It was one of the rare occasions that I was cheering a horse (Kauto) to beat another horse that I had backed. I thought it was the best race I have ever seen; as they turned for home it was a dream scenario. Long Run's jumping wasn't the best in the first half of the race, but when it really mattered he jumped very well.

The dentist gave him a very good ride.

6/1 seems value to me for a repeat. Who's going to stop him?

It was one of the rare occasions that I was cheering a horse (Kauto) to beat another horse that I had backed. I thought it was the best race I have ever seen; as they turned for home it was a dream scenario. Long Run's jumping wasn't the best in the first half of the race, but when it really mattered he jumped very well.

The dentist gave him a very good ride.

6/1 seems value to me for a repeat. Who's going to stop him?

Well the last six year old to win a Gold Cup was Mill House but somehow I doubt Jessie's winner of the RSA is Arkle !

Ardross;I think Kauto has always worn a tongue strap...I first noticed it a few years ago in a photo. Have to say I didn't notice the absence of his noseband, though.

Last edited:
Ardross;I think Kauto has always worn a tonge strap...I first noticed it a few years ago in a photo. Have to say I didn't notice the absence of his noseband, though.

I had never seen it declared before . I was waiting for someone to ask why the sheepskin noseband was missing.

Definitely a feel-good race wasn't it?

Whatever horse you love or had backed showed enough to make you happy.

I can even cope with the idea that 'Ol Beetroot Face' walked away with some much needed cash!:)

I think it was Denman; the word 'hobday' springs to mind when I think of him [not that I know what it means....think pre PN times it meant 'wind op']

Just traveled arrived back to Edinburgh from what was a truly wonderful few days at Cheltenham. Was standing directly opposite the last fence and to see the 3 great horses coming over will be an experience I will never forget. For a brief moment in time I really though Kauto was going to do it. But the main thing was the two old warriors came back safe and sound. Fantastic race.

Last edited:
I think it was Denman; the word 'hobday' springs to mind when I think of him [not that I know what it means....think pre PN times it meant 'wind op']

Could well have been - Im just remembering it being mentioned in relation to either KS or D in Paul's biography... and his reaction to finding out being "well that will save you a grand in a few months"....

Not sure it was Kauto - remember reading that the trainer didn't want to sell and when the vet came to check him over he basically said "good luck" as nobody could get near his mouth so they couldn't check his breathing/wind etc. and the trainer thought nobody would buy without a full vets check.

They bought him anyway - KS has probably mellowed somewhat since then mind ;)

Amazing. Delighted for the horse.

The moment where Denman and Kauto were neck and neck for a few strides and Long Run trying to get back was the best moment I've ever had in racing - incredible.

Lots of credit to Sam WC - rode him well, and never panicked. I loved how positive he was over the last few.

That was something else.

Wasn't it so... Won by a brilliant 6yo who was ridden cannily in the slipstream of the two finest steeplechasers for half a century. 11yos just don’t do what these two have done. The reason they have done it is that they are exceptional.

Just before three out we had the three Gold Cup winners and Long Run virtually together. At two out Denman and Kauto had asserted with Long Run the only other capable of going with them. Long Run’s younger legs got him up the hill the best.

This was a true race. A connoisseur’s event. One of the greatest I’ve witnessed. It satisfied our best expectations, left me speechless and gave us a great winner. Well done to horse and rider. It’s not a race they or we will forget.

In terms of health Denman was back to what he was when winning his Gold Cup and Hennessys. He shone in the parade ring. With younger legs he would have been unstoppable and perhaps Sam would have done well to ride him more aggressively (as he did when he won it on him). But when all's said and done a brilliant 6yo has beaten two legends fair and square. Both Denman and Kauto are likely to continue next season. Good luck to them both. They will still take the beating wherever they go.

Back