Road to the Gold Cup 2011

Amazing. Delighted for the horse.

The moment where Denman and Kauto were neck and neck for a few strides and Long Run trying to get back was the best moment I've ever had in racing - incredible.

Lots of credit to Sam WC - rode him well, and never panicked. I loved how positive he was over the last few.

That was something else.

Without doubt the best Gold Cup I've seen, for various reasons. Immense.

The first 3 deserve so much credit. The last 3 furlongs will never be forgotten.

I know i keep saying it, but Denman, absolutely amazing horse.

I don't think we'll see his like again. If he'd come along in a different era he'd have won four Gold Cups. It sounds like hyperbole that but it's taken immense performances to beat him e v e r y t i m e. I don't want to be negative but when I see Best Mate having stands named after him and statues on the course it makes me a bit mad because Denman probably won't have that recognition - I could be wrong of course.

I am tempted to agree Hamm. Never before have the first three come away with such immense credit. Has there ever been a better trainer than Nichols for getting them back at advanced stages of career?

Stunning and the perfect example of why jump racing is so special

A marvellous race and the surprise was that Long Run seemed to have outstayed the old boys kauto looked to have them all cooked briefly and long run was under the stick . Kauto clearly got tired as WTF closed him down .

An immense run from Denman too who knows what might have happened had the rains come .

Most of all what a superb ,patient ride SWC gave the winner . I did not fancy the horse but he has clearly improved enormously and is very talented

Very nice things you guys have said here. In 30/40 years time the Jim Mcgraths of the world will be looking back in their old age and pondering on this great era of long distance steeplechasers!

Kauto and Denman warriors of the game. I bet Harry Findlay shed a tear or two as well.

Wonderful stuff - very glad to be munching on my humble pie for saying that LR wouldnt win round Cheltenham yet :)

lovely race, and as long as IC is ok and there are no disasters in the last two races, then its almost been the perfect festival...

Last edited:
What. A. Race.

Had a small bet on Long Run on the day and it was my only bet - yet I found myself roaring Kauto and Denman on. I really thought Kauto had it, looked to have them all in serious bother down the hill, but he was in front a long time and just didn't have the kick he had when winning this in 2009.

Denman ran such a good race, just found one a little bit too good in the end, what a record he has in this race.

Long Run - what a horse he is already and just think what he could go on to do in the future. He has absolutely smashed them there and he didn't even jump all that well!

Great race and all credit to Kauto & Denman who outran what I thought they were capable of producing today, what a horse Long Run is!

Back